Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a highish spec graphics machine today?

Options
  • 22-06-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

My work machine is down, I need to get a replacement asap.

The last 3 I've built myself but right now don't have the time to do the research - I just need a new machine pronto.

Where does one go these days to chose a prebuilt web graphics machine (small bit of video editing) ?? I just need the Case/ram/MB/1 HD (with room for 2 more).

Do Dell still use none standard components?

I want a good machine for approx under 800e.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

seems pretty good to my (relatively inexperienced) eyes.

could possibly get a Q6700 to save on the CPU and invest a bit more in the graphics if you wanted, something like a GTX275 or even the GTX285? I don't think it would make much of a difference though for what you intend for it, but given Adobe now have CUDA support it may possibly be worth it down the line?

The only other thing might be to get an SLI board so you can drop an additional CUDA card in at some stage if you wanted, but i don't think it's necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

pencil wrote: »
    web graphics machine (small bit of video editing)

Drop into Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which one usually has a PC on display) and pick yourself up a bargin.

They will provide plenty enough power for web graphics, and video editing.

They are actually quite powerful machines for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Dont know if aldi or lidil are as cheap as they would have you believe on computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 colwood

Go to komplett and get an upgrade package or go to overclockers.co.uk and buy the entire system, you may find a system in the clearence section returned after cooling off period. Check out there clearence lines there are lots of bargins there and they will give you a warrenty. Especially graphics cards radeon hd4870 £120.

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz (OCZ Freeze Extreme)
    Asus P6T Deluxe
    6gb Ocz Platinum DDR3 1600mhz
    Zotac GTX 260 55nm sp216 factory OC 650mhz Sli
    WD Caviar Blacks Raid 0
    Creative x-fi titanium
    CM Storm Sniper
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
    Corsair 850watt
    Microsoft x6 sidewinder

Vista premium x64

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

colwood wrote: »
    radeon hd4870
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz (OCZ Freeze Extreme)
    6gb Ocz Platinum DDR3 1600mhz
    Zotac GTX 260 55nm sp216 factory OC 650mhz Sli

Not sure if you are suggesting he buy parts similar to the above but they are just complete overkill for what he needs.

It's a work machine for creating graphics and editing video. A top of the line graphics card is of no use to him at all. Sure the newer Nvidia cards have CUDA, but if you get a strong enough CPU in the first place it won't really help that much.

~550 euro Aldi PC ftw, thb, imho. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Parser wrote:
    thb

To Honest Be? :P

I'd usually agree with the Aldi thing but the cheapest I've seen their (usually very good value) C2Q rigs lately is €750 :(

Advertisement