Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jason Newsted has left Metallica

Options
  • 22-01-2001 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Read all about it at http://www.vh1.com/thewire/content/news/1438053.jhtml.
    He probably got sick of all the late night phone calls from lars telling him to get up and hunt napster users smile.gif.
    Also id recommend using VH1 as a guide to music and forget about that crap that MTV spurts out, "slim shady this, destinys child that"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm sure he'll be greatly missed. He's an excellent bassist and they're going to be difficult shoes to fill... anyone care to speculate on just who they might get to replace him?

bard2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One word "Bugger"

They are going to have a hard time finding a replacement for him. He had an intense energy on stage, and they were the best band I have ever seen live (3 times).

BTW talking about old fogie metal bands you cannot beat AC/DC.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I heard he was fired from the band. He borrowed a new car belonging to Lars to take a test drive and see how good it was. Lars was p.issed and said it was the same as theft. So he got fired. True story, no really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The reign of Metallica is starting to fascinate me.

I mean, I loved them too, don't get me wrong, I have had my Metallica phase like anyone into Rock music...but Metallica in the 21st century just doesn't feel right.

<Oh gawd, am I about the say this!>
    When I was a teen/younger(your age)...
    </Oh gawd, am I about the say this!>

...I would have been offended by old fogies playing 'metal', I wanted something freah, new, exhilerating.

It just amazes me how Metallica go on and on...

Aerosmith, now there's a band I could love forever wink.gif

Jason Newsted, good bassist, keeps time, has his own style, would never have blown me away, put him beside Stu Hamm on stage and watch him cry.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I loved them too, don't get me wrong, I have had my Metallica phase like anyone into Rock music...

[/B]</font>

How can anyone like a band that makes a complete **** up od Thin Lizzys Whiskey in the Jar.

They are just an average pop band now. In my opinon thay have had only one decent song and that was Enter the Sandman.

Win95/98/ME: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
    to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor
    written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

right....where 2 start....keeks....what the hell do u mean enter sandman (not "enter THE sandman") was their only good song....dont b so stupid.....ur one of THOSE metallica fans....i bet u got into metallica from the black album onwards....dont lie.....otherwise u WOULD NOT say that...what about master of puppets, sanitarium, fade 2 black, crepping death, 4 whom the bell tolls, one, seek and destroy, four horsemen, harverter of sorrow, i could go one and on....i will whole heartedly agree that they are nothing more that a bunch of muppets now.....as to the loss of jason newsted....he he he who gives a fu<k....he could not play bass to save his life.....he is THE WORST bass player i have ever heard...they must of been really stuck to take him on in the fisrt place.....any1 who plays bass and has ever learned his stuff will know exactly how cr!p he is......everything he plays is SO SIMPLE its just a joke....i hope metallica burn in hell for what they did 2 themselves....they used 2 b incredible now their just a bunch of washed up muppets....

[This message has been edited by black_wizardd (edited 23-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

vitriol rocks man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I lost interest in Metallica the second they released that live box set for the knockdown price of 90 quid.
    *old fogie mode on*
    I remember when they released Ride the Lightning and everyone was screaming 'sell-out' because they included a ballad with acoustic guitar. Obvious ****e, and they went on to prove the world wrong. The reason they did this was all subsequent releases up untill and including the black album were fairly groundbreaking for the genre. Unfortunatly after the black album they discovered laurels and how to rest on them.
    So who gives a hoot if newkid leaves, theyll still pump out the same old ****e no matter whos playin the bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cyberdog

I just want to know what "physical damage" he suffered playing the music he loves tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 -I-.Raven.-I-

Metallica id say were the single most influence on me growing up*explains a lot*They were of the greatest groups in the history of music there record sales were phenomenal etc.In fairness though there new stuff aint metallica although if a different.It was a brave move my them considering the flack they would recieve.If another group were to have brought it out they would have been hailed as one of the hottest new groups.As for jason leaving music damaging his health me ass id say he got ****ed off with Lars and Kirk they seem to have abandoned there Roots altogether.Its a shame in a way if Kirk and Lars didnt leave! and have left James and Jason im sure they would return to the metal roots.*well maybe i dunno im ranting*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

F*ck Jason.

Cliff Burton RIP.

http://run.to/pile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

im no big fan of metallica, but IMHO their only good song was unforgiven (is that right name) anyway shut up the lot of ya, metallica are money grubbing fascists and i cant wait to see them break apart and go bankrupt, it will do the world a favour.

freak bruther.....YES my man thats what i likes ta hear... smile.gif

JAG......i agree that they r nothin but money grabbin d**k heads NOW but they wer'nt always like that......as to unforgiven there only good song (*ahem* bulls**t)....its obvious that ur not a "big fan" as u put it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

i said IMHO (in my honest opinion) so leave it at that, that means that i personally dont like any other song they have made, even enter sandman IMHO was turd nuggets.

[This message has been edited by [SN]JAG (edited 31-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

He left apperantly coz of phsyical damage done to himself over the years (something about a constant sniff tongue.gif ).

/me puts a bullet in the rest of metallica

ole foggies of rock is right but they are morre like wannabe younger ole foggies of rock.
    We'll it ever end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Just about every single guitar band from the early nineties or earlier has had its day.
    They should give it up.

The only band still going strong from that era IMO is Red hot chilli Peppers. Still makin good music. Even Pearl Jam, and i'm a life long fan, semm to be following their idol Neil Young into the sad world of "has been's" thinking they still got it. It's a bit sad really.
    But it's hard to make music for so long and still be new and original.

The best example I can think of, of a band who have sucessfully changed their style and kept it interesting\inventive is Blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Your forgetting STP who are still going strong.
    Also Alice In Chains are technically still around, theyve just released a live album (i bought music bank a month ago) but itll be a matter of time b4 they bring their original sounds back.

Your forgetting the big one: guns and roses are back now, albiet without slash so methinks they wont be as good as their earlier stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I not forgetting them, i just dont rate them anymore, the old stuff yeah sure, but now...?? methinks not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

*grin* I love the way internet folk shout about Metallica being "money grubbing fascists" and whatnot because they don't like folk ripping off their stuff... I suppose game developers are "money grubbing fascists" for not liking warez, by the same logic?

Metallica get accused of everything, it seems; they're "money grubbing", they're "part of the system" (whatever that means), they're "sell-outs". Yawn. It's all really boring; the natural instinct some people have to bleet about anyone and anything successful.

The fact remains that Metallica have recorded some of the best music ever made; look at albums like the black album; and that while they might not be innovating, they're sure as hell still pumping out some good music. S&M was probably the best album of last year as far as I'm concerned, even if I'd heard all the tracks before; the use of orchestral backing was genius, and the album itself stands as "F*cking Astounding".

Who cares what the band do outside the recording studio? Who cares if they whinge about Napster? Who cares if they f*ck dead pygmies? Just ignore out-of-studio posturing; I don't buy albums because I like the OPINIONS of the musicians, I buy albums because the musicians make a pleasing arrangement of different noises. Metallica sure as hell fill that criteria.

pffff whatever man.....notice how you just said that they have recorded some of the best music ever made (i agree) and then used the black album 2 back that up.....OMG...im not even goin 2 get started.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Good, I don't think I could listen to a full-length illiterate rant using five full stops between each sentence part. I'm fragile like that, y'know?

LOL biggrin.gif..hmmm i do have a habit of puttin loads of full stops in between sentences...ah well could b worse we could all b from leitrim smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ah well could b worse we could all b from leitrim smile.gif[/B]</font>

Unnhh... no we couldn't tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:

Who cares what the band do outside the recording studio? Who cares if they whinge about Napster? Who cares if they f*ck dead pygmies? Just ignore out-of-studio posturing; I don't buy albums because I like the OPINIONS of the musicians, I buy albums because the musicians make a pleasing arrangement of different noises. Metallica sure as hell fill that criteria.
    </font>

Of course what a band do outside of the recording studio matters. I wouldn't like to give my money to a bunch of paedophiles for example.
    You say pleasing as if it were an entirely objective term - it's not!
    Everybody has there own idea of what is "pleasing" and for many that includes music being original, innovative, and heart felt none of which can be ascribed to any recent Metallica recording.

[This message has been edited by C B (edited 09-02-2001).]

hear hear... smile.gif

Advertisement