Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Strimmers

Options
  • 22-06-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fordes

I am looking to buy a good petrol strimmers and I was wondering if any one had any suggestions. I have 2 large ditch's and a hedge to clean around which are covered in tissles and briars so need to be able to swap between the cord and a blade as required in different area's / times of the year. All help greatly accepted.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

For a start, I'd avoid the chep makes like Ryobi that are sold in Woodies, B &Q and the like. I had one for less than a year when the carburettor went. Hard to get parts for and when they do work, well its hard to get them started, you'll end up pulling a muscle in your arm/shoulder yanking on the pull cord.

I filled in my ditch (laid pipes and filled over them) that cleared up that problem of cutting weeds so perhaps you could look at that solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fordes

Prosperous Dave. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately its not a Drain / Ditch it a Stone Ditch covered in Bush’s / Briars that forms the boundary to my site with the neighbouring farm. Therefore I can't knock it down but only try and keep it clean as possible. Hence my problem and the need for a decent strimmers.

Thanks for the reply and any more gratefully welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm on the lookout for a good strimmer (or brushcutter) as well. Look for a good size unit, above 30cc maybe 40cc. Stihl are a good make but pricey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

its very easy get a good strimmers. just go into a fellow that sells them eg lawnmower places and bring plenty of money. but realy you would need to be spending e350 to get anyone have decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I actually have a ryobi strimmer and can recommend one.
    Its like everything in life, you can get a bad 1 of any brand but its been ok for me (touch wood).
    I bought it on ebay as i found them pricey here (€300 up) and think I only paid €120 or the like delivered to the door.
    Anyways, 22cc and has never let me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any of the Japanese brands are good, Tanaka, Marunaka, Maruyama are three that spring to mind.
    Some of the Ryobi stuff is actually quite good, but it depends on who makes the engine.
    My mate has a Ryobi and he reckons it it a great machine plenty of grunt for the money.
    He got this one
    Stihl are way over priced IMO, and Husqvarna trimmers are just rebadged Redmax or Maruyama strimmers.

As with all small engines make sure you have a dedicated gallon of two stroke mix and use good quality semi-synthetic oil @40:1 and you will never have a problem.
    I have seen lots of strimmers this year come in with siezed engines because people didn't put oil in the petrol, easy to do if you are absent minded like me.
    30cc will be enough for thistles but if you have lots of blackberry you will want a blade and a slightly bigger cc machine.
    Soak your trimming line in water and it will last a lot longer.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Soak your trimming line in water and it will last a lot longer.

ohhh, good tip - how does that work?:)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have seen lots of strimmers this year come in with siezed engines because people didn't put oil in the petrol, easy to do if you are absent minded like me.

I know, I mis fueled my strimmer last year and had to drain it.
    What I did and what people GOT to do is get 2 big petrol cans and a BIG MARKER!
    Then Write all over the cans "LAWNMOWER PETROL" and the other "2 Stroke MIX FOR STRIMMER"
    It's a must!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have a trimmer that uses short lengths that thread through a head then it's easy, ice,cream tub +water +lid and keep them in it.
    If you have a bump and go type head, you will have to wind the whole lot on each time you use it.
    I just mix all the petrol with 40:1 full syn oil and use it for the mower and the 2 stroke stuff, a little 2 stroke won't hurt a mower engine and will probably help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

[quote=[Deleted User];60839427]I have a homelite one, its not too heavy and has been running grand for about 3 years now. Also had one previous to his which I sold some time back and it was also perfect. They are about €100. give or take, the weedwhacker types can be more expensive.[/QUOTE]

B&Q are doing a 26cc Homelite one at the moment for €104, I'm thinking of buying it. Is yours still running alright ? It won't get excessive use with me hence why I'm not forking out a fortune on it.

I think this is the model:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9786961&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB&fh_search=homelite+26&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1278845140409&isSearch=true
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Honda strimmers/brush cutters are very good. Robust reliable 4 stroke engines. Optional steel blade or nylon hub. :)

Honda UMK 435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd go with a Honda as well. Got a 4 stroke one last year, it's been faultless as well as very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The Honda's are expensive though ......... how much did they set you guys back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

€640 or so I think, but we have a lot of work for it. HEavy bunches of rushes, briars, smaller fuchia branches couldn't stand up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I have mine about 4 years now with no problems. Cost around €500 then as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

I have a ryobi one for a few years now. It's one of the 'expand-it' ones and recently got an articulated hedge clipper attachment for it. Very handy for clipping the top of a tall hedge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavanman3000

you can buy a stihl fs 40 for €199. you get two years warranty labour and parts and you are guaranteed spare parts at least twenty years. i've used stihl for years and i wouldnt touch anything else.its not a name you pay for its quality.
    p.s watch out for strimmers that have the pullcord at the front of the engine and not at the back. its usually a good indicator of the quality of the machine imo.:cool:

Advertisement