Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCENR NGN Policy Paper Published

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

rardagh wrote: »
    I think that it is positive to see the Minister engage in such a public process, and put forward all of his plans/policies in this way.

Yeah right....
    We have been listening to this horse manure for years, just another piece of garbage from Minister "Shameon" Ryan and the Department of Incompetents, being seen to be doing something, paper never refused ink.
    By 2012, Ireland’s broadband speeds will equal or exceed those in comparator EU regions.
    In this context, comparator regions are the regions and cities with which Ireland competes
    economically. We will have a range of broadband speeds capable of meeting the demands
    of the Smart Economy.

Heard it all before from his predecessors
    "Dialup" Dempsey
    "Blasphemy" Aherne
    "Mammy" O'Rourke

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I think that it is positive to see the Minister engage in such a public process, and put forward all of his plans/policies in this way.

Same old drivel.

Go now Eamonn, you are an embarrassment to yourself and to the country.

Our nearest neighbour comes up with a realistic plan and this is the sh*te is what you come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Innovative and efficient technologies like UMTS and its descendants... Yeah right.

That minister and his ex-eircom-employee department should be ashamed for proposing that a mobile phone network provide "broadband" for SMEs and homes.

The only thing he seems to talk about is how good his strategy is and how necessary it is, and other such vacuous statements. A strategy on how to deal with our heavily-in-debt large telecom company, and its stifling of competition from the very start of deregulation in 1998, would be far more useful.

Hi,

What plans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The most valuable aspect of the whole thing is that they actually published all the state owned duct and microwave asset maps in one location .

The saddest is that I would have organised that within a week, circa 2004, had I been tasked to do it :(

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The most valuable aspect of the whole thing is that they actually published all the state owned duct and microwave asset maps in one location .

The saddest is that I would have organised that within a week, circa 2004, had I been tasked to do it :(

Two years to pillage some websites? hardly inspiring progress,doesn't give me much confidence that
    the Minister has a clue or indeed his Department. They should all resign in sheer embarrassment.

Let's see if they can deliver 100Mbps to schools sometime this decade or next...

Let's us put in some ducting, where practicable.

Let's put fibre in "new builds", where practicable.

Weasel words as ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I dont know if anyone remembers Ryan pretending to interact with Boards.ie last year on this NGN consultation , that would be here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055385719

I did respond

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57390649&postcount=21

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57393796&postcount=34

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57397866&postcount=42

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57434409&postcount=76

In which I told him to make use of his assets to push an NGN to within 50km of each citizen and thereafter to within 30km . How much clearer do I make it than I made it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57440181&postcount=87

The issue is how close it must be pushed by the state towards the average consumer/business/resident and HOW !

BK says 1-2km . He has a point but I fear that the cost would be eyewatering . So that is no from me.

I feel that this much can be done in 3 distinct phases .

1. Where NGN is pushed ( more ESB / Bord Gáis / MAN fibres) to within 30km of every citizen . Cost under €100m and makes carrier grade wireless ubiquitous ( not the inferior 3G or 2G EDGE dialup substitutes )

2. Where NGN is brought to within 1km of each person in the 15 biggest towns in conjuction with sub loop unbundling for deployment of VDSL type technologies. On top of existing phone wire ducts and near TV cable distribution nodes. Cost c. €120m

3. Where NGN is brought to within 3-4km of each person in the rest of the state in conjuction with sub loop unbundling for ADSL2+ type technologies.

VDSL2+ would actually be deployed given technological advances/costs but not guaranteed as in the cities .

As VDSL2+ is hypersensitive to distance it is accepted that many or most rural customers would have ADSL2+ which is more effective at distance over copper.

Cost c. €300m

Total cost c.€500m .

Leave the rest to the market unless GPON is feasible in which case a genuine PPP ( Council/Local Groups) project could apply for GPON installation grants if it could be done for €500 per proposed unit and the homeowner paid at least half . This would be on existing ducting , no major new digs.

The national mapping for stages 2 and 3 can be done cheaply right now so that all ducting that is installed in conjunction with service digging by local authorities can be presented back to the intended nodes as it is done...water sewage or even simple footpath laying No water and sewage schemes should be laid without these ducts starting now. No buildings should be built witthout ducting , talk to Gormley about building planning guidelines now.

All those shiny new motorways come with extensive ducting for example. Empty !

Where this ducting is done then the copper sub loop may in some cases be bypassed by modern GPON or GEPON fibre technologies not crappy Irish copper.

3G LTE would be a mobility /infill technology not a solution and not in Ireland before 2014 anyway for spectral reasons .

I explained clearly why 3 months ago HERE

Ryan keeps quoting crappy 3g coverage as being Broadband indicating either that he hasn't a bloody clue ( at best ) or is lying mendaciously ( at worst) so if he still keeps on lying about that then there is no hope anyway .

Ryan will lie about broadband penetration in Ireland and quoting 3g to support his case before this week is out . That I can GUARANTEE right now :( Possibly even by close of business today !

All we got nearly a year later was a map of Bord Gáis and CIE and NRA ducts with no plan whatsoever to use them, no modifications to building regulations as recommended in early 2002 , nothing :(

Almost a year later Bord Gáis Telecom STILL don't have a website

http://www.auroratelecom.ie/

That sort of says it all about Ryans tenure in the dept, he is the only shareholder in that entity . A vast emptiness of vision and principle , a legacy of vapour.

Resign now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

totally agree... minister is a disgrace. He cares more about staying in power for another year (so he can get his pension) than he does about moving Ireland out of the comms quagmire we have been in for the last 10 years.

Move on sir, you are a cad.

oh and before I forget.....

anybody who thinks the minister is doing a good job is either 1. connected to the government or 2. an absolute gombeen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This exposes the bankruptcy of the Government here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60974790#post60974790

• Advertisement
Advertisement