Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing trees from sycamore/ash/oak/chestnut cuttings

Options
  • 22-06-2009 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Ok I've done quite a bit of googling around about growing trees from cuttings. but I couldnt find any info on any of the above trees.

Has anybody successfully grown trees from cuttings from the sycamore/ash/oak/chestnut trees?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Back in 2000 I threw a chestnut into a pot and about a year later planted it in un-used ground, it is now 10ft tall.

Late last year I got some more nuts from the ground next to the chestnut tree and put them in pots, now I have several 20-25cm high trees.

Unsure about cuttings though, I would be interested in finding out though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mister Fork

hi there, not too sure why you'd go to the trouble of growing sycamores or ash from cuttings as they seed everywhere, you should'nt have too much trouble getting some, I'm forever pulling the little blighters up. However chestnut and oak may be a different matter I guess, anyway thanks to the google search I eventually tracked this info down.

Good luck with it.

1. Prepare the ground. You will want to do this in the early autumn, while the ground is still warm, and you'll need well-drained soil. You may need to add some sand to a heavier soil. The shovel should be pushed vertically into the ground to make a narrow trench about 7 inches deep (for hardwood cuttings) and only an inch or two wide. Trenches should be spaced 12 to 15 inches apart.
    2. Step 2
      Select the cuttings. After most of the leaves have fallen from the tree, you can cut the stems. Select stems that are straight, healthy and young. Cut just above a bud, using the first 12 inches of a stem.
    3. Step 3
      Trim the cuttings. Remove any remaining leaves. Then trim the cutting to about 8 inches in length, making a diagonal cut at the top, just above the new top bud, and a horizontal cut at the bottom, just below a bud.
    4. Step 4
      Insert the cuttings. Cuttings should be placed 4 to 6 inches apart in the trench. For a multi-stemmed tree, leave about 1 inch of the stem above ground. For a single stemmed tree, leave only the top bud of the stem showing above the surface of the soil.
    5. Step 5
      Firm the soil. Use your feet on either side of the trench to bring the soil together and firm it down. Rake the surface and label the rows.
    6. Step 6
      Transplant the cuttings. One year after the initial planting, your cuttings will be rooted. Carefully lift each cutting using a hand trowel. Pot each one individually, or plant in its final location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

Thanks for the info guys. I suppose I might wander through some woods around September/October and get myself a clutch of saplings.

I read an interesting article yesterday after I posted this. Basically people can cut 2 foot fresh shoots from a sycamore branch. Dig a 3 inch trench and lay the branches down head to foot. Fill in the trench and you'll have a least 1 new sapling per buried shoot.

heres the PDF
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rngr.net%2FPublications%2Ftpn%2F23%2Fpdf.2005-06-10.3530755043%2Fat_download%2Ffile&ei=0_dASuekLoeL-QalieW-CA&usg=AFQjCNH5YrnieLORjm6Mt1D_p95kU7UBAg&sig2=GOeldpbrsmlG5NL0qVOnBA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi,

Sorry to hijack thread but does anyone know where you can buy a tree ? I got the garden landscaped last year but the silver birch was damaged and snapped half way up. Bloke has since gone out of business, so going to have to tackle this one on my own :(. Will a normal garden center sell them or would I have to go to a garden wholesalers ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd get a birch at any halfway decent garden centre.

plus, chestnuts and acorns germinate very readily, from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i have 6 apple trees growing in pots, grown from pips.

Advertisement