Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good GP (alternative minded)

Options
  • 22-06-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi i was wondering if anyone could recommend a GP who is willing to listen about alternative medicine. Its hard to get a GP who has anytime for herbalists, chiropractors and the like. Just wanted the best of both worlds. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Hi i was wondering if anyone could recommend a GP who is willing to listen about alternative medicine. Its hard to get a GP who has anytime for herbalists, chiropractors and the like. Just wanted the best of both worlds. Any recommendations?

Rightfully so. There's a reason it's called alternative medicine, if it worked it would simply be grouped in with medicine. It has no basis and the people who practice it are charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkonianshe

not a very helpful answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You probably won't find such a GP for the reasons listed in the second post. Plus, this week alone, a homeopathy 'cure' has been banned by the FDA in America as it caused people to permenantly loose their sense of smell.

You should view homeopathy, herbal treatments, reiki, accupuncture as complimentary medicines, but not as alternatives to real medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkonianshe

Don't get me wrong i want good medical treatment. I want a GP that would be willing to consider opinions of others and not out of hand dismiss them. Also i want GP's advice and diagnosis. For as many scary alternative stories you can find you could probably find a scary story about a "regular" doctor and can sadly cite many of my own experiences.

Im just saying it would be nice to find a GP that will consider other options and not just medicate as an answer to everything.

If anyone has any experience of a GP who considers patient's wishes i'd appreciate your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I have acupuncture treatments a few times a year and have used chiropractic in the past and found them very beneficial. I didn't even bother telling my GP as his approval didn't matter to me. As alot of these complimentary/alternative disciplines are neither regulated nor proven, GPs aren't going to openly endorse them. I look on these treatments as complimentary as there are some illnesses/conditions I'll use them for and with others I go straight to my GP. For example every autumn I seem to get sinusitus and I have acupuncture for that and it works a treat. I go to the chiropractor when I have trouble with an old neck/back injury and it's sorted in 1 or 2 sessions. I know this doesn't answer your question but I just wanted to share my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

every doctor should treat you with respect for your opinions and your personal beliefs.... if you went to him with bowel problems for example secondary to fasting and gorging during ramadan he shouldnt tell you to believe otherwise.... he should just treat you holistically....
    If he doesn respect your beliefs or preferences for alternative/complementary therapies then then he's probably not going to respect much else....
    sorry but i cannot reccomend anyone, i dont know them. i get reiki and acupuncture and i dont think i've ever thought to tell my gp!

Advertisement