Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Insurance help

• 22-06-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered before, a quick look didn't spot it.

Getting myself a new phone today hopefully, looking at the LG Arena. As this is a bit more up-market than previous phones of mine I'm consdering getting insurance on it. Is Meteors own insurance the way to go or are there better deals to be had with third party insurance, better coverage etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am looking for similar information. My phone bills are covered through work and only the phone that they provide is covered. I recently bought a N97 so am in interested in getting cover for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Make sure beforehand that the insurance will cover it, some phone insurance companies wont cover unlocked handsets as using a different network sim in it voids your insurance, LG phones are mostly sold unlocked at purchase so you may want to check this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know that the cover that the mobile phone companies offer is dependent on your sim card being in the phone that is lost, i.e. if you are using another phone and loose the phone that is covered, you won't be able to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

if the phone is sold unlocked than it's an unlocked phone that is insured. I know that the carphone warehouse will cover all phones regardless of the sim being used in it. Get a meteor phone, unlock it, use vodafone in it. All you have to do is ring meteor to block the imei of the handset (nothing to do with the sim) Some reps will say oh you need to block the sim as well. Not true, they are just being awkward.

Stamped by the gardai and get your new phone. You can't pay extra to get a different/better model phone. The only thing the insurance doesnt cover is unattended loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Sounds straight forward but read the T&C's. I work for phone company with the insurance dept right behind me, you'd be surprised how many people dont. for example, if you lose it, you may have to report it to the coppers within 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You have to be very careful with insurance with terms, like example if left in a car, its only covered in a locked glove compartment or boot!

Advertisement