Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody any experience of Civic 2.2 Diesel?

• 22-06-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Was noising around carzone last nite and came across a couple three door ’08 models for around €22k (think they are €27k new), which then lead me to look at autotrader.co.uk. A 2008 model under warranty until 2011 can be got for approx £11.5 – £12k stg = approx €14k + VRT of approx €3.5k = €18k after boat, food + fuel etc……?

140bhp with loads of torque and potential remap? Road tax is €156 for the year.

More homework required hence this thread. Has anybody any experience of these? What kinda L/100km or mpg would you expect?

Personally I love the look of them. (Strictly only looking at three doors )
    no-image-large.gifno-image-large.gifno-image-large.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You should get upwards of 50mpg if you drive economically. Its easy to get that with the same engine in the heavier Accord. Guys on the Civinfo forum have successfully remapped them up to ~180-190bhp.
    The engine is supposed to be a bit less refined than it is in the Accord as they had to shrink it a bit to fit it in the Civic's tiny engine bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Stephen wrote: »
    You should get upwards of 50mpg if you drive economically. Its easy to get that with the same engine in the heavier Accord. Guys on the Civinfo forum have successfully remapped them up to ~180-190bhp.
    The engine is supposed to be a bit less refined than it is in the Accord as they had to shrink it a bit to fit it in the Civic's tiny engine bay.

Thanks,
    Yeah civic engine bays have always been tiny (or at least they were in my previous '94 & '03 models!). Has there been any warranty / recall issues worth knowing about?
    Would the 2.2 be considered nippy performance wise at 140bhp without the remap? My only experience with a 110+bhp diesel was a run in a passat 2 years ago and it had a lovely shove in gear.....(if i was to change my car i'd be coming for a 190bhp petrol).

You have the 1.8l one don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Would the 2.2 be considered nippy performance wise at 140bhp without the remap?
    100% yes the thing goes like a rocket (it was a surprise that it didn’t get a higher insurance rating)

100% yes the thing goes like a rocket (it was a surprise that it didn’t get a higher insurance rating)

Thanks but 140bhp couldn't really be considered a rocket. Maybe nippy (its all relative) hence my question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T (150bhp) 0-60 = 8.2s
    Civic 2.2 i-CTDi S 5d (138bhp) 0-60 = 8.3s

Neither car blindingly fast but not slow either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I have to say I do like the look of that Civic tho. Front splitter adds to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Its quick, 0-60 is around 8secs, in gear pace will suprise alot of so called fast cars, 30-70mph through the gears is also around 8secs!! Remapped it will be very impressive in a straight line, 180bhp with nearly 300lb ft of torque , all from 1500rpm will mean it can hang with the big boys in the real world 40-90mph test! I'd say it could compete with the new Typre R in that situation!!

Go for it OP!!

Yeah longshanks I have a 1.8 petrol. 5-door though. Very practical, loads of legroom in the back and the rear seats fold totally flat to the floor. The door handles are quite hidden, most passengers not familiar with the car can't find them and assume it has 3 doors and expect me to get out of my seat :pac:
    The front splitter etc is standard on the Type-S (all 3 doors) afaik, and does look nice indeed. I think the rear end is slightly different as well. The only recall my petrol one has had was one for the handbrake - apparently they had a tendancy to release if engaged with the button pressed in.

Cheers for all that. Just window shopping at the minute, but thats usually where it starts :pac:
    Front spoiler does look the part. Would be looking for a three door as i made a promise to myself years ago that i'll only ever get a 5 door hatchback when i needed one.... which i don't yet!

Just seen that the 3 door civic ain't on honda.ie. Is this slack on honda ireland part or was it withdrawn? Also, as there ain't too many 3 door diesel civics around does this imply that resale in a few year might be more difficult or is it because its a model only recently introduced and lots of people are stuck in the anti >2.0 litre mindset?

It is there but only with petrol engines it seems?? The three doors are Type-S models. The diesels only became available in Ireland after the 2008 tax change, and it was quite late in the year before they arrived.

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    It is there but only with petrol engines it seems?? The three doors are Type-S models. The diesels only became available in Ireland after the 2008 tax change, and it was quite late in the year before they arrived.

Sorry, i meant 3 door diesels on honda.ie. I'm going to have a look at the specs for the engine etc honda.co.uk - i'm pretty sure the GT version in the UK with sat-nav aint available here

Being a 2.2, i wonder is it very noise heavy when cornering?

Anybody here got the 2.2 diesel engine in an accord? How is it in terms of noise on start up (does it sound like a VAG tractor when cold?). What are service intervals and how do you find it on the juice?

My old fella has a 2.2 accord. There is a little bit of rumble at startup but nothing like a VAG 1.9. Once running it is the quietest diesel I've ever been in. He gets about 55mpg but does loads of N-road driving and very little around town stuff. Not sure what the service intervals are - its every 20k km on the petrol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Has there been any warranty / recall issues worth knowing about?
    I read something before about problems with the dual-mass flywheel, I *think* though it only the very first few and it got sorted out pretty quick afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

I bought an `08 type s a few weeks ago (see my recent posts here) and absolutely love it.
    The roadholding is phenominal with the VSA turned on it`s simply stuck to the road, now this has it`s disadvantages when it comes to bad road surfaces or ramps but the driving experience is unrivalled for it`s class.
    The diesel version is much the same performance wise and the main difference with the S version is a slightly wider back end and stiffened suspension etc set-up. They both have by far the best dash set-ups too..really cool displays.
    I have been looking at celicas, bmw 320s etc for a while now and having driven these and a few more nothing comes close to the civic.
    Returns over 40mpg too with mixed driving conditions.
    So the bottom line is book yourself a test drive and let it rev...they love to rev.... and I bet you wont get out without buying...best of luck. :):):)

Was speaking to a honda dealer. Basically the 2.2 three door civic has never officially brought here. The ones on sale are cars the dealers have imported themselves. Seems very odd decision by honda.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Was speaking to a honda dealer. Basically the 2.2 three door civic has never officially brought here. The ones on sale are cars the dealers have imported themselves. Seems very odd decision by honda.....

Just checked the Honda.ie website and that seems to be the case alright..just the type S in 3 door.
    I checked the cost of getting one up north or in Britain but there is no real saving on the civics. I expect even more so now that the Euro has weakened against Sterling recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The reason they never brought is in is because of the 2.2 and the Irish crappy road tax system. They are officially on sale now alright, cause of the new tax brackets, but before they couldn't have sold them to anyone cause of the high VRT and Tax.

Biro wrote: »
    The reason they never brought is in is because of the 2.2 and the Irish crappy road tax system. They are officially on sale now alright, cause of the new tax brackets, but before they couldn't have sold them to anyone cause of the high VRT and Tax.

Correct for the 5 door, but it seems the 3 door isn't officially sold by honda (the dealers are importing them themselves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Correct for the 5 door, but it seems the 3 door isn't officially sold by honda (the dealers are importing them themselves)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Honda Ireland (or whoever the distributors are) are twats.

Advertisement