Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GB company car in Ireland. What happens?

• 22-06-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone would have any onfo on the following situation.

The other half is starting a job with a UK based company. They are travelling to the UK for training and shall be picking up their company vehicle to bring back and start working. It is supposed to be a car-van.

We are just wondering what happens regarding vrt and tax etc when it is brought over the water here? The car shall be used here in Ireland full time and will be kept here also as all of the work is based in ireland.

Has anyone else ever had such a situation?

It would be good to hear anyones expierence.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Needs to be VRT'd here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

AFAIK, if the car is registered to an uk owner then no tax or vrt will need to be paid here. If its the company's car, then i presume they will be taxing it in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Yea, it will be registered to the company which are in the uk.

Just want to know what to expect really when coming back on the ferry!!

Though I would have thought that if it is being used full time by someone who is resident in Ireland there would need to be tax paid on it here or something?

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

On the revenue website it says no Irish resident can drive a foreign registered vehicle on Irish soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Can anyone post a link to where the regs regarding this are? was searching a couple of goverment sites and couldnt find the required info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It would have to be registered, DOE'd and taxed over here to comply with Irish law.

Also, if the vehicle is on finance (HP Agreement, Lease, etc) the finance company in the UK wont be pleased about their asset being in a different country for long periods of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, it has to be VRT'd here. Since its a commercial it will be very cheap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

The situation some years ago was as last person said . i.e. no irish person can drive a foreign reg car in ireland, even if the driver takes ill etc.
    any ROI resident who got a job as a rep for a N.I. company could not drive their company car home. i believe the situation has changed. ten years ago i spoke to the Customs in Donegal about a man in that situation,for some reason Donegal was the place to ring. A helpful fellow there told me he knew of dozens of genuine cases but that the revenue Commissioners had dug their heels in.

the situation has changed now ,but I dont have exact details

regards,Rugbyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Put it this way.

My company has an office in Dundalk and has people working both sides of the Border. The NI guys MUST drive NI cars and we MUST drive Republic cars.

We used to have an office in Derry but the Irish government would not let us have ALL our cars NI reg'd.

Basically they wrote the CFO a letter saying we would be done for tax evasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Berty wrote: »
    Put it this way.

My company has an office in Dundalk and has people working both sides of the Border. The NI guys MUST drive NI cars and we MUST drive Republic cars.

We used to have an office in Derry but the Irish government would not let us have ALL our cars NI reg'd.

Basically they wrote the CFO a letter saying we would be done for tax evasion.

There was a case a while back where a ROI resident working for a NI company had has car taken by Revenue for lack of VRT but the company fought it through the courts here and won, I'll be damned that i cant find the article anymore but it never got the press it should have got

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone would have any onfo on the following situation.

The other half is starting a job with a UK based company. They are travelling to the UK for training and shall be picking up their company vehicle to bring back and start working. It is supposed to be a car-van.

We are just wondering what happens regarding vrt and tax etc when it is brought over the water here? The car shall be used here in Ireland full time and will be kept here also as all of the work is based in ireland.

Has anyone else ever had such a situation?

It would be good to hear anyones expierence.

Thanks

The car will have to be VRT'd here if it's ordinarily used here and you guys live here.

My thoughts on this is that the company should be giving your OH an Irish registered car to drive back, or they should be arranging for VRT etc once the car is on Irish soil.

I don't see how this could possibly be your OH's responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It would be more in their line to organise a car for your OH with Leaseplan or some similar company to pick up IN Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are a load of BT vans floating around the Dublin area (and possibly further afield) - all with UK regs! I presume that they too should be VRTed!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

taken directly from revenue website....http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt1.html

"Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on registration of a motor vehicle in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for road tax purposes."

in other words any vehicle wishing to use our roads over here must be VRT'd, unless its here on a temporary basis....
    therefore your other half will need to have the vehicle VRT'd....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tothewest

good point about the BT vehicles, not only them but a lot of the utilities contractors seem to drive uk registration vehicles, seen a few school buses too, i would have thought that anyone involved in providing services to the public would have to have irish reg vehicles

Anyone remember those Portuguese registered LHD pickup trucks that were all over the place a few years back doing work for the ESB? Eventually they all appeared with Irish plates on them, given that they were not here temporarily. I'm surprised at BT getting away with it.

The VRT on a new Focus van is €2404.77, so along with a DOE, €80, and €288 to tax her for the year, the OP's wife's employers are saving €2772.77 /Dodging €2772.77's worth of tax.

I thought commercials had flat VRT of about €50??

Its a Cat B vehicle, so it doesnt qualify for €50 VRT unfortunately.

Advertisement