Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics tablet

Options
  • 22-06-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey,

I'm relatively new to graphic design. It's a hobby and I primarily use illustrator/photoshop/flash. I was wondering if a graphics tablet would be a good investment or if you guys could advise me on what one is best for a beginner?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

don't get anything other than a wacom. Intuos/cintiqs are best but expensive. If you want to get a feel for it first go for one of the cheaper models but make sure it's a wacom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'm relatively new to graphic design. It's a hobby and I primarily use illustrator/photoshop/flash. I was wondering if a graphics tablet would be a good investment or if you guys could advise me on what one is best for a beginner?
    Can you draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 franklymydear

Yup can draw. Is making vectors from drawings easier/better than using a graphics tablet to do it? It sounds cheaper anyway. Haven't tried using live trace w/ any drawings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Is making vectors from drawings easier/better than using a graphics tablet to do it?

no. Im a left handed drawer and i use my right hand on a right handed mouse to draw. I produce much better work than some people i know with a tablet and their natural hand. Its just down to preference. The beauty of vector work is that you have control over every bezier/anchor point which will help produce the perfect line for your image. I much prefare a mouse for anchor points. However, i prefare using a tablet for certain things in 3d studio max.

Getting a graphics tablet will not make you a better designer or digital artist, unless you want to use photoshop to draw stuff like portraits and use photoshop like an artist would use a paint pallet. Then you might see some use.

If you are serious about getting a tablet hold out and buy the cintiq 21 inch. Yea, its expensive, but once you've used one you understand why and wont settle for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I find an Intuos 3, A4 size, can slow you down even, the thing is so big and cumbersome on your desk.

If you don't invest time in the manner in which it works, its little quirks, you'll become frustrated at your purchase.

Big isn't always better. Try and get access, physically, to the graphics tablet you want to purchase, sit down and just imagine how it would feel at your work place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you can draw then a tablet would be a fun thing to play with. Buy a mid range one so you don't spend too much money and see how you get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I got a dirt cheap one for 25 quid. I'm happy with it so far and I've used some of the cheaper wacoms and I don't find that much of a difference.

Get a really cheap one and if you like it then go for a "proper" wacom then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i have a lil wacom, still havnt got used to it, find myself grabbing the mouse!
    but might be that its too small, its only like A5 size.
    so id say yes, theyre good but try go bigger! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 franklymydear

Thanks a lot guys. I think i'll go for an entry level Wacom. Will shop around. and hopefully get a good deal.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

wacom bamboo...brilliant product......cannot recommend highly enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Hey guys,I'd be interested also in buying a graphics tablet,what would be the general prices,I'd appreciate if someone has a knowledge of them! For say:

Low-End
    Mid-Range
    ...........and then Wacom's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davetheripper

I bought a trust A4 (http://www.tabletworld.co.uk/product.php/77/15/trust_tb_7300_wide_screen_design_tablet/001dbe1ae74089a0af699fd66a451ef7)to begin with for 80 pound, it seems to do the job quite well. A friend also has a Bamboo A4 and it was about 125 pounds, but he swears by it. He has used mine, and says it is crued but works well. I am using it to learn to colour with it more than draw tbh. Here are some results :)

http://www.freewebs.com/fantasy-unlimited/newartwork.htm

Advertisement