Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC is about to go bust!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any reactions?

Im sure they will sell the Lotto tickets as Castleisland has had great success in doing so.

Im also sure that some business's will be able to provide a donation. My company who recently had to let go some people was still able to provide a prize for a local golf club charity day.

Im sure they will find more than 37 business's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Maybe it would be for the best if they folded. There is obviously no public appetite for the senior game given the gates they are getting. I never quite understood why they didn't amalgamate in to a UL team much like UCD. They would have an instant fan base along with access to a pool of players and possibly public funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Aidric wrote: »
    Maybe it would be for the best if they folded. There is obviously no public appetite for the senior game given the gates they are getting. I never quite understood why they didn't amalgamate in to a UL team much like UCD. They would have an instant fan base along with access to a pool of players and possibly public funding.

My thoughts exactly. Even if they get their 70g's that will only tide them over til the end of the season. It would only be a stay of execution. Jack McCarthy is gone so they have no more rich benefactor to bail them out. They need 240,000 to run the club for a season, and all they make from gates in a season is 70,000. I doubt there are too many business people around now who can spare that kind of money to throw at a lost cause. Its a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I never quite understood why they didn't amalgamate in to a UL team much like UCD. They would have an instant fan base along with access to a pool of players and possibly public funding.
    Because UL students' wouldn't have it given the club is funded from students' capitation fees as well as fundraising. It'd be a recipe for an administrative nightmare and disaster, and because students are squeezed for access to the facilities already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

ninty9er wrote: »
    Because UL students' wouldn't have it given the club is funded from students' capitation fees as well as fundraising. It'd be a recipe for an administrative nightmare and disaster, and because students are squeezed for access to the facilities already.
    I go to most of the games and used to be involved with the Supporters Club. There is no appetite for an amalgamation with UL, and even if there was, nobody involved with the club would want to play the games outside of the city and certainly not out in UL. Whatever chance the club has they have to stay in the city - most of the current fan base of 500/700 per game come from the city environs and travel to the game by foot or public transport. Hogan Park was a disaster, the club can forget about it if they had to revert to playing out in the suburbs again. UCD are well funded and through scholarships they manage to attract some of the best young players in the country, but have less fans than Limerick as most of their gates are made up of away supporters.

Limerick's main problem is they have no home to call their own, and thus have no asset, no money earner, nothing to secure a loan against and nothing to develop. Jackman is boxed in and can't be developed and is owned by the LDMC anyway. The Markets Field is the only other option but that would require Bord na gCon to drop their price plus City Hall, the FAI, Limerick FC and probably one or two other sporting bodies to all club together and develop the stadium. Can't see that happening and can't see the club surviving. Ironic when this is the first time in ages that the club is actually debt free and could end up going to the wall because revenue has dried up as opposed to being in huge debt..... :(

Local businesses don't give a ****e either, they're all well and truly on the Sky Sports Munster bandwagon these days :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"Local businesses don't give a ****e either, they're all well and truly on the Sky Sports Munster bandwagon these days"

Unfortunately, that's the reality. I played underage soccer from under 10s, up to minor in the city, before I left for college etc., and nobody gave a shoite about it. It was all rugby rugby rugby, and I played a bit of underage rugby as well.

It's a pity that the likes of Sligo and Athlone town can get a half decent team together, but Limerick can't, but I suppose you have a successful rugby team now in town, and god knows the dolly burds won't go up to cals park to watch their boyfriends play on a sunday morning..:D

Wasn't Limerick well supported in the early 80s?

Limerick's main problem is they have no home to call their own, and thus have no asset, no money earner, nothing to secure a loan against and nothing to develop. Jackman is boxed in and can't be developed and is owned by the LDMC anyway. The Markets Field is the only other option but that would require Bord na gCon to drop their price plus City Hall, the FAI, Limerick FC and probably one or two other sporting bodies to all club together and develop the stadium. Can't see that happening and can't see the club surviving. Ironic when this is the first time in ages that the club is actually debt free and could end up going to the wall because revenue has dried up as opposed to being in huge debt..... :(
    Essentially the product being offered up is sh1te and it's not going to attract many new supporters anytime soon. I'm a big soccer fan and I've been to a handfull of games at Jackman Park over the years. It's an abysmal set up, A rusting hayshed in the middle of a rough area of Limerick complete with dam all parking and no catering facilities. Where is the attraction to get off your arse and spend money?
    A move to the Market's Field could be the club's one last shot at survival if they get it sorted. Otherwise let them go to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Essentially the product being offered up is sh1te and it's not going to attract many new supporters anytime soon. I'm a big soccer fan and I've been to a handfull of games at Jackman Park over the years. It's an abysmal set up, A rusting hayshed in the middle of a rough area of Limerick complete with dam all parking and no catering facilities. Where is the attraction to get off your arse and spend money?
    A move to the Market's Field could be the club's one last shot at survival if they get it sorted. Otherwise let them go to the wall.

They have seats in the stand now and much better facilities, including food and toilet.

The football they play isn't have bad either, ok, the match against shels wasn't a classic but two players sent off, a missed penalty and a late winner.

They played St pats off the field in the cup, but lost and at the time when UCD where top completely outplayed them.

Entertainment wise for a city that is full of football lovers you can't really say you aren't getting good value, they don't own jackman park so there is very little they can do with it and it takes time and money, the latter of which they lack.

But thats just on the field, if the club were to go we as a city would really loose out. There is a huge amount of effort and time invested into working with disadvantaged communities by players and staff! Something that is rarely mentioned.

They club also has little debt compared to other first division clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

dam all parking and no catering facilities. .

When was the last time you were there?
    Parking in the ground if your early enough (space cleared by the club when they moved in)
    Cash and carry carpark across the road is available for a euro on matchnights.

Burgers, hotdogs, pot noodles etc all available along with usual shop stuff. Shur the delights of fine dining on Parnell St is just around the corner. :)

League of Ireland 1st Div aint great but its good craic.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Athlone town can get a half decent team together, but Limerick can't,

Your joking right:confused:

Limerick are much better than Athlone right now and have been for quite a few years.

Fair play to Sligo though, done well to survive in the prem the last few years and have made Europe this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Limerick FC have been saved!! Good man, Pat O'sullivan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Sunn wrote: »
    They have seats in the stand now and much better facilities, including food and toilet.

The football they play isn't have bad either, ok, the match against shels wasn't a classic but two players sent off, a missed penalty and a late winner.

They played St pats off the field in the cup, but lost and at the time when UCD where top completely outplayed them.

Entertainment wise for a city that is full of football lovers you can't really say you aren't getting good value, they don't own jackman park so there is very little they can do with it and it takes time and money, the latter of which they lack.

But thats just on the field, if the club were to go we as a city would really loose out. There is a huge amount of effort and time invested into working with disadvantaged communities by players and staff! Something that is rarely mentioned.

They club also has little debt compared to other first division clubs.

i hate this word disadvantaged communities.if your bought up good it doesnt matter where your from.Its a joke that scumbags get paid to do soccer schemes instead of working or going to college.my thread on raheen proves this a generation of young sub class scum starting grow nicely out here.Maybe limerick f.c should try include all communties

Limerick FC have been saved!! Good man, Pat O'sullivan!!
    Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Can any confirm there is a hooligan element following them now?soulcrew isnt that english soccer scumbag group..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Can any confirm there is a hooligan element following them now?soulcrew isnt that english soccer scumbag group..

IrishVamp. You really have a thing for scumbags and hooligan elements!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Irishvamp you seriously need to get a life. People are just talking about their local team and you manage to bring scumbags into it. Grow up. Oh yea great news limerick were saved for this season. Best of luck to them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

why dont you pay to find out,

At least do a bit of research. Wrong country for a start.

Maybe limerick f.c should try include all communties

Considering the people playing, following, working and volenteering for the club are usually either from what you might describe as working and middle class come from all over the City and County aswell as a few from Clare, North Kerry (and even a couple of lads from Nenagh :)) I really dont understand what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i hate this word disadvantaged communities.if your bought up good it doesnt matter where your from.Its a joke that scumbags get paid to do soccer schemes instead of working or going to college.my thread on raheen proves this a generation of young sub class scum starting grow nicely out here.Maybe limerick f.c should try include all communties

What are you talking about? You seem to have a very large axe to grind and has nothing to do with what I wrote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement