Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Cat is being bullied!!

Options
  • 22-06-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Moved into a house in ballyhaunis, Mayo recently from Galway city. Took our 'city slicker' cat with us who is now being bullied by a local bird!

2 weeks ago, caught our cat up a tree at the dead of night killing a chick in a nest. Since then, this one particular bird is making his life hell. The brave ass bird dive bombs our cat and will sit 2 feet from him chirping like a nut job. To be honest, im afraid of him now!

Quite funny really cause our fella always thought he was the mutts nuts! He's def being taken down a peg or two.

Took some photos - see attachments:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

When I read this post at first I felt like coping and pasting it into the thread "THINGS YOU WERE TOLD AND YOU JUST JUST IT WAS BULL"...HA HA....
    but as im also from Mayo...im gonna take your word for it... think the birds around the county have gone a little mad lately...

i think you're cat deserves to be picked...ahem.. pecked on because he ate her baby...thats murder....

hes now being sentenced to torture for life...ha ha

im tempted to call around to check out this madness!

on a serious note...call in a "dog" to "protect" the cat from the bird!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

The birds round here are totally nuts. Drinking pints of beer, swearing, fighting.....only messin!

Yes seriously, i dont think could handle employing a dog to take care of the cat - dogs need more attention than cats.
    Looking out the back now and its like a scene from the Hitchcock movie, except with 1 bird and a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Experienced something similar years ago. Our kitten on one of her first outings climbed a tree and was attacked by a flock of blackbirds. They pecked her and started pulling out bits of fur. The kitten couldn't defend herself, she had to hang on to the tree with claws and paws. One of us had to climb the tree, shoo away the birds and rescue the kitten. Catch them when they're young and teach them a lesson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

i was joking really bout the dog thing...was just adding to the bizarre issue....like a dog should eat the cat, the cat should eat the bird...its really the other way round here...

a sign of the times...

you should be capturing a video for this thread and youtubing it!

youl soon get used of the wildlife in mayo....
    if you think the animals are bitchy....you might wanna stay away from the public!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The birds in my urban area are having some kind of an uprising against the neighbours' cat!

Cat killed a magpie last week, saw a a gang of three magpies trying to save it. Since then, every bird (magpies, crows, pigeons - everything!) have been screeching at the cat all day!

Quite scary to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Corvids have a reputation for remembering this kinda stuff and taking revenge. Smart birds. Already a few vids on YouTube.

Also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055558035

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

All I see is a picture of a cat and a bird? Why not take a video and show us whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

serves the cats right for killing baby chicks!! :P birds only defending, heh. however, the danger of losing an eye to a magpie is very real. they peck eyes out of sheep and lambs.

shame your cat is such a good hunter, which is what got him into this mess, lol.

it's really a very sad problem tho, and many bird conservationists are constantly campaigning to get people to keep their cats indoors... you probably have heard this before.

i always thought putting a 'bell' on a cat was a way to protect birds. and might have kept your cat from getting into this situation... however, studies have shown cats with bells kill as many birds and cats without.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/the-truth-about-cats-and-birds/

this quote was surprising:
    Precautionary measures simply do not work. During an 18-month period, a single cat roaming a wildlife experiment station killed over 1,600 birds and small mammals. A study in England showed that cats wearing bells killed more birds than cats without them; during a study in Kansas, a free-roaming declawed cat killed more birds than the cats with claws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sounds like the bird is defending any remaining young.

It helps if you keep the cat in during the night/dawn/dusk.

Advertisement