Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Ireland game

• 22-06-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Not sure if a thread has been made about this already but
    does anyone think it would be good to make a GTA games based
    on one of the cities in Ireland? like GTA Belfast , Limerick , Cork
    or Dublin City. Obviously they wouldn't call the game by that title
    but they could base the location on one of those cities.
    I think Limerick and Belfast would be the best locations since
    Limerick City has a high crime rate and Belfast has the protestant/catholic
    rivalarly. just an idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

http://www.gadgetrepublic.com/news/item/464/index.php

the game is already in production at the moment....... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Unless Rockstar open up an Irish development studio, the chance of that is zero.

The thing is, there are by far 1000s of worse cities than Limerick in the world. Nobody outside this island really has a clue about our gangland crime and culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

and urban culture is not exactly what ireland is known for, i'd much prefer gta dublin though than new york(much more unique and interesting)

would be great if some millionaire created a sandbox game located in dublin based on gta games.

gta games will always take place in usa and the off chance london, never even paris or berlin let alone dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I have it on good authority that the following game is in post production phase of development, so there might be a chance of there being an irish one:

Grand_Theft_Auto_Somalia.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There might be worse cities but the scum in Limerick have more character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There might be worse cities but the scum in Limerick have more character.

here is a screenshot from the new game...

http://www.p45.net/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=640&stc=1&d=1059739631

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

LoL 1st April, that was quite a poor atempt at an april fool, what about GTA: Culchie!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I think they should use Dublin or Galway. They are perfect in size, and have everything that all cities have. Loads of cities are way to big to use;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In reality, the GTA crew have never based any of there games in real cities, aside from the GTA mission pack GTA London back in the day.
    They always create a, well I guess you'd call it a homage to various different city types, so you have San Fierro (San Francisco), Las Venturas (Las Vegas), Liberty City (an amalgam of New York, Philidelphia and Chicago), Vice City (Miami).
    This gives them far more room to create game worlds with more opportunities for players to have fun, they're able to pack the enviroments with Industrial districts and airports right next to residential areas, a lot better than trying a big, spread out boring real city.
    So, if we are ever to see a GTA game based on an Irish city, it would be a combination of the best and worst of Dublin, Limerick, Belfast and who knows where, but be sure we'd all be insulted, one way or another!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure if they mad eit if I'd prefer pantomine leprachaun accents or realistic ones :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

It would possible to create a map such as the one found in San Andreas, which would be enjoyable: three cities (Dublin, Limerick, Galway) and a whole lot of towns and countryside. I don't think I could handle phony Irish accents, though, for the entire game.

On that note, Rockstar could do well to go in the San Andreas direction with their next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Do we want a GTA thats not in America? Is the main reason we play GTA not its humour, and the parody of American life? If you take away the humour, GTA becomes a below average game. Set it in Ireland, you take away all the American stereotypes that allow the game to become the parody it is, and as such take away well over half its appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 samir

Im pretty sure that everyone that plays GTA around the world would it want it in there city....E.G: Paris, Berlin, London ETC....but yh single matt is right u take away the american life and what u got?

samir wrote: »
    Im pretty sure that everyone that plays GTA around the world would it want it in there city....E.G: Paris, Berlin, London ETC....but yh single matt is right u take away the american life and what u got?
    Take away the parody on american life you have a substandard 3rd person shooter, that has no focus or direction, with bad gameplay mechanics. The only thing that kept us going through the endless restarts (which were due to poor game mechanics usually, and no fault of ours) in the various GTA iterations was its humour. The ability of the game to make us laugh out loud.

Take away the parody on american life you have a substandard 3rd person shooter, that has no focus or direction, with bad gameplay mechanics. The only thing that kept us going through the endless restarts (which were due to poor game mechanics usually, and no fault of ours) in the various GTA iterations was its humour. The ability of the game to make us laugh out loud.

Agree. They took away the humour in GTA IV and it wasn't all that great. Then they put the fun back in the Lost and the Damned and it's really good fun.

If you think that GTA is a third person shooter, then you're playing the wrong game. Hint: Grand Theft Auto.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    If you think that GTA is a third person shooter, then you're playing the wrong game. Hint: Grand Theft Auto.
    Doesn't stop it being a shooter. Shooting still made up the majority of the games, bar the top down versions. Can any 3d GTA be played without shooting? Actually, how many missions in a 3d GTA don't involve/can be completed without shooting? I assure you, that shooting is a bigger part than stealing cars.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Agree. They took away the humour in GTA IV and it wasn't all that great. Then they put the fun back in the Lost and the Damned and it's really good fun.
    Mind you, the game mechanics in IV are superior, maintaining its playability. Imagine IV with San An or VC mechanics. I shudder at the thought. The game would have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GTA Dublin would be a really slow with all the traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

GTA NEEDS a change of environment, I don't want to go back to Vice City or San Andreas again, as great as my original memories of them were. Rio De Janeiro would be incredible IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GTA NEEDS a change of environment, I don't want to go back to Vice City or San Andreas again, as great as my original memories of them were. Rio De Janeiro would be incredible IMO

"GTA Under the Sea"?

Doesn't stop it being a shooter. Shooting still made up the majority of the games, bar the top down versions. Can any 3d GTA be played without shooting? Actually, how many missions in a 3d GTA don't involve/can be completed without shooting? I assure you, that shooting is a bigger part than stealing cars.

I assure you having actually played the games and missions, that driving is a bigger part of the Grand Theft Auto 3D series than shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

rio would be the best. so diverse, such a good landscape, ah would be ****ing awesome in the favellas, seeing young lads playing football and stuff.

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I assure you having actually played the games and missions, that driving is a bigger part of the Grand Theft Auto 3D series than shooting.
    The driving was never anything special either. GTA was a jack of all trades, master of none. The humour and parody of American life is what set GTA apart from the crowd, never its gameplay. Without the humour, it would not have become the household name it is.

The driving was never anything special either. GTA was a jack of all trades, master of none. The humour and parody of American life is what set GTA apart from the crowd, never its gameplay. Without the humour, it would not have become the household name it is.

I disagree. I think you're missing the point of the Grand Theft Auto series. I think San Andreas was the best game in the series and I didn't really like the characters or the parody of the 90s, and the talk-show radio station was a big disappointment. That was all irrelevant because it was the best sandbox game. You may think that the driving was nothing special, but it's a subtle balance between driving being fun and being hard, and the previous generation of GTAs definitely found that balance.

I agree on one point: GTA was a jack-of-all-trades. That's a vital component of any great sandbox game. If a developer wants to master an area (driving, shooting etc), then that developer would develop a game in that area. If a developer wants to make a great shooter, he starts development on a first/third-person shooter, not a jack-of-all-trades sandbox game. To expect a sandbox game to be better in areas like driving and shooting than games made by developers who specialize in these areas and dedicate all of their development time to, is a lofty expectation and one that will never likely be met.

And gamers don't play games for what Film and TV offer to them, they play a game because they like playing it. So, I don't see how any game becomes a household name without good, fun gameplay. I think it's foolish to think people are playing GTA in spite of the gameplay and because of solely the humour and parody, when greater and better examples of parody exist in other mediums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Moved to GTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MikeyZozo

That would be funny, GTA Ireland- hurleys instead of baseball bats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think Ireland could be a good setting as long as they made it big enough. Less cops to worry about but when they do show up they show up in force. Terrorists, gangsters, huge drug running, all the different characters you could have, it would be a very different setting going from motorway to twisty roads. diesel bandits, tourists.

While Ireland wouldn't have the same high profile crime as other countries it would fit right into the GTA humour scheme simply by using some of the utterly daft crimes that have happened in Ireland over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'd love a return to San Andreas in the next one, maybe a sequel to it?? They got the whole early 90's "ghetto" culture so perfect in San Andreas, its still my favorite of the series. And the story wouldn't be too hard to create either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Set it in Ireland, you take away all the American stereotypes that allow the game to become the parody it is
    I hope you're not suggesting that there aren't plenty of Irish stereotypes to parody!!!
    Though I suppose the rest of the world wouldn't get it...

Advertisement