Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Begginer Motorcyclist queries

• 22-06-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello im a beginner motorcyclist and i wanted to know if anyone out there could help me with a few queries i have.

I wanted to ask if im restricted to a 125cc motorbike or can i get a motorbike with a larger cc engine but have it restricted.

I also wanted to know if having a restricted engine has any bearing on the price of insurance if the bikes engine is bigger than a 125 but restricted.

And finally i wanted to ask if anyone could recommend some good types of motorbike cruiser style for a beginner as i have been looking at a 125 yamaha dragstar and a Suzuki Marauder.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

there are two provisional licences. One limits you to 125cc the other limits you to 33bhp.
    I never heard of anyone restricting a bike to 125 to be honest. You can restrict bigger bikes to 33bhp alright. Only factory restrictions can bring insurance premium down afaik.
    Started off on a marauder 125 meself. Loved that bike. Simple to work on. Never had any problems with it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

ya could get any cc bike once its restricted
    akaik aon are the only ones that take restriction into account, it has to be factory restricted though,
    most 250 cruisers if not all of them would be under 33bhp, i started on a marauder 250 myself and found it really easy to learn on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gears of War

Cheers thanks for all the info. im new to this so i wasnt sure.:)

never mind, thought ya didnt have the licence

Oh rite sorry about that. i meant that i have passed the theory test and am applying for the provisional license.

• Advertisement

oh right just make sure ya tick a if ur over 18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Yeah get A not A1 as this will allow you to drive bigger bikes later, A1 will always be a max of 125cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It is probably also worth noting that when you go to do your full-licence test (for the A licence), you have to do it on a bike of over 150cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It is probably also worth noting that when you go to do your full-licence test (for the A licence), you have to do it on a bike of over 150cc.

good point. You don't need to buy a bike over 150cc although it would help doing the test on the bike you are familiar with.

I started on 125cc vespa and then hired a 250cc for the test and passed first time. The vespa has handlebar gears and the 250cc had foot gears but a couple of lessons and I was used to it. My point being is that there are options if you want to start on a smaller bike. This is the safer option for a beginner.

If you've ridden bikes a bit and are a bit more confident then by all means go slightly bigger. Once you've got your test you'll be immediately out looking for a bigger machine!!

I had a suzuki marauder 125 and a dragstar 125. I would recommend the dragstar every time. Much better build quality,more comfortable, it looks much better than the suzuki and it's a v-twin. Can't go wrong with them really.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone for all the info. really appreciate it

Advertisement