Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo c30

• 22-06-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Does anyone have a volvo c30? I need to know what you think of it. Has it given you any trouble? Also might the 1.8 pull a horsebox (one horse) okay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Ficus wrote: »
    i have the s40 which is virtually the same car as the c30.
    Mine is a 1.8 and i think you would be in serious trouble trying to pull a horsebox.

I have a 2l s60 which pulls one horse in double box fine but the tax is a killer. I don't pull the box very much and I'd love the flexifuel or something smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How about a 1.6d?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How about a 1.6d?

+1

I'd say any of the diesels would be fine for pulling a horse box.

How about a 1.6d?

Thought of it but wanted to know if there were any teething problems with the new model!

i don't know anyone who has one.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

sure that engine is out for yonks at this stage on everything from the Focus to the 407 to the MINI.

• Advertisement

sure that engine is out for yonks at this stage on everything from the Focus to the 407 to the MINI.

Yeah but its the gimicky stuff and the electrics that will but a halt to your travels!

the gimicky stuff and the electrics are also on the petrol models!

personally I think you should stick with what you have, you're paying 650 a year on tax, which when compared with what you're gonna lose on your car on a trade in compared to what the smaller C30 will cost is peanuts.

my car is getting old with a lot of mileage. Kinda really would love to hear from someone who has the model but thanks for your insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    my car is getting old with a lot of mileage.

You did say "the tax is a killer", but you're not going to find anything to tow a horsebox for less.

And you can't tell herself that themselves online told you to change, either, because we didn't.

So there!

Zube wrote: »
    You did say "the tax is a killer", but you're not going to find anything to tow a horsebox for less.

And you can't tell herself that themselves online told you to change, either, because we didn't.

So there!

Jeez I'd really love to hear from someone with a c30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Jeez I'd really love to hear from someone with a c30!

You could be waiting a while. I can count the numbers I've seen on Irish Roads on one hand!

Sure the C30 is just a 3 door S50, the same as a V50 is an estate of the S40. any issues will be shared across all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

Very happy c30 owner here. 2 years old, hasn't given me any trouble and I do a lot of miles. Only negative for me is the boot - tiny and narrow access.

my car is getting old with a lot of mileage. Kinda really would love to hear from someone who has the model but thanks for your insight.

What S60 do you have?

Very happy c30 owner here. 2 years old, hasn't given me any trouble and I do a lot of miles. Only negative for me is the boot - tiny and narrow access.

Hi - I am so happy to hear from you and thanks!! Yes I was thinking that about the boot. Does it have a lot of power for overtaking? is it petrol or diesel and what cc please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jody S

Hi

We have a C30 1.8 2008 appx 38000 kms with body kit in blue, my girlfield uses it mostly & I drive it mainly at the weekends & its a fabulous car & have had no problems at all except for silly accident repair when only 3 weeks old due to a foreign national driving(don't get me started) the wrong way in a multi story car park, 5 grands worth of damage but I'm over that,otherwise just routine service & 4 tyres.In fact its in for service again next Monday.

As for tow bar,the 1.8 is lively enough & handles great but I don't think its's suitable for a horse box, I would be a bit concerned about that. I have an S40 at the moment but just leave the weekend to get my hands on the C30.

Brother in law has a 2007 C30 1.6 diesel & its a little flyer & he has had no problems and covers a lot of mileage,120,000 at the moment. He did mention a wheel bearing problem & also alloy wheel peeling problems both of which where sorted under warranty. Probably ok for towing, better than the 1.8 petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

1.6 petrol, not great for overtaking and no way it would manage a horsebox

Jody S wrote: »
    Hi

Hi, Jody!

What a lot of little Volvos you have!

Hi

Brother in law has a 2007 C30 1.6 diesel & its a little flyer & he has had no problems and covers a lot of mileage,120,000 at the moment. He did mention a wheel bearing problem & also alloy wheel peeling problems both of which where sorted under warranty. Probably ok for towing, better than the 1.8 petrol.

Thanks that's great to know. I know I would just love this car. It is a pity about the small boot. Its really the small entrance as I imagine there is enough room with the seats down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DeepWoods

hi everyone, im an american volvo owner, and i have a question about the serpintine belt in the s40. can it be changed by someone who isnt a mechanic? the car doesnt drive different but it makes a loud strange sound when ever the engine is on. someone said its probably the belt, the car has about 75ooo miles on it. any advice please?

• Advertisement

Zube,

Ye know I never really thought about it & I have never been loyal to a brand,I have gone through a Seat Ibiza,a Ford Focus & a VW Bora. Two years ago I joined a company who where changing their small fleet of rep cars & they bought a couple of Volvos. I got the opportunity to drive one of the S40's & eventually took one of them off their hands for the right money when one became available due a rep leaving.

I took it moreso because it was going for good money,but I love it now.The other in law Volvo's came about within the next 12 months,but I think it was due to the C30's funky looks.

No harm liking your Volvo is there !

Deepwoods,

What is a serpintine belt ?

No harm liking your Volvo is there !

None at all, I like both our cars even though herselfs is new and expensive, and the other is my old Kangoo.

It's ****e but it's honest!

uh, its a belt that keeps the engine running or something like that. its like the main drive belt. heck I dont really know everything it does. i just wonder if theres a way to tighten up the tensioner on the belt or if its a major job to replace it. anyone out there know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

the serpentine belt drives the engines ancillary devices like coolant pump, power steering pump alternator etc, it's called a serpentine belt because it snakes its way around the various pulleys in a serpent like fashion:).

So it's a fan belt, then?

Zube wrote: »
    So it's a fan belt, then?

Nah, the fan is electric :D

both terms are equally silly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Basicaly Yes it's a fan belt, in the old days it used to drive the engine fan. Not so much anymore. I guess it should be called a multi functunal rotational engine system support platform:eek:.

hey stratos, my vovlo is making a weird howling sound, it doesnt drive different, it sounds like a belt. are these hard or expensive to change?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gazmc

If you are after a c30 for pulling 1.6D is a way better option than the 1.8 petrol by far!!!!! A lot more torque. The 1.6D has more than enough power for overtaking so dont worry about that. Pound for Pound the diesel is the better buy. Also its doing over 50mpg and only €156 a year road tax.

DeepWoods wrote: »
    hi everyone, im an american volvo owner, and i have a question about the serpintine belt in the s40. can it be changed by someone who isnt a mechanic? the car doesnt drive different but it makes a loud strange sound when ever the engine is on. someone said its probably the belt, the car has about 75ooo miles on it. any advice please?

Hi I don't know if a timing belt is the same thing but its supposed to be changed every 75000 miles i was told. My s60 has 91000miles and i got it changed recently because i believe it causes serious problems to the engine if you wait till it goes. That was what i was told by both the dealers and the garage where i got it replaced. The replacement comes in a pack of parts and its dear enough to replace. Think I paid 250 as i didn't need to get the full lot replaced. Does this make any sense to anyone. Im useless with the mechanics.

gazmc wrote: »
    If you are after a c30 for pulling 1.6D is a way better option than the 1.8 petrol by far!!!!! A lot more torque. The 1.6D has more than enough power for overtaking so dont worry about that. Pound for Pound the diesel is the better buy. Also its doing over 50mpg and only €156 a year road tax.

Do you have one? Lucky thing!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What S60 do you have?

I have a 02 2.0T SE Winter Pack Sports Suspension. Really love it but need to move to something with a bit more rear leg room. I can get a 04S80 2ltr for 9K but I would struggle to move mine on what do you reckon I should ask for 120K on the clock.

Hi I don't know if a timing belt is the same thing but its supposed to be changed every 75000 miles i was told. My s60 has 91000miles and i got it changed recently because i believe it causes serious problems to the engine if you wait till it goes. That was what i was told by both the dealers and the garage where i got it replaced. The replacement comes in a pack of parts and its dear enough to replace. Think I paid 250 as i didn't need to get the full lot replaced. Does this make any sense to anyone. Im useless with the mechanics.

This is the same thing I was told, quoted 550ex Vat from dealer and paid about 250

Hi I don't know if a timing belt is the same thing but its supposed to be changed every 75000 miles i was told. My s60 has 91000miles and i got it changed recently because i believe it causes serious problems to the engine if you wait till it goes.

If the timing belt goes you'll lose valves and possibly the whole head, too.

Muchos dineros.

However, a fan belt is a much less important part, and a broken fanbelt will probably not knacker the whole engine. Unless you keep driving and overheat it.

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    I have a 02 2.0T SE Winter Pack Sports Suspension. Really love it but need to move to something with a bit more rear leg room. I can get a 04S80 2ltr for 9K but I would struggle to move mine on what do you reckon I should ask for 120K on the clock.

I'd say around 4.5-5k should shift it.

The S80 would be the perfect candidate to replace it. It basically is an S60 with more rear legroom and slightly more conservative styling.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd say around 4.5-5k should shift it.

The S80 would be the perfect candidate to replace it. It basically is an S60 with more rear legroom and slightly more conservative styling.

Yeah thats what i am thinking, the only big difference would be moving from 17s on sports setup to 16s on normal. My #1 choice would be a v70 d5 but i reckon you would never get anything for that money.

bennyc wrote: »

I have an 03 2.0 t as well and i adore it but its starting to have lots of little things wrong with it. At the moment there seems to be a problem with the steering wheel. the steering lock is coming on as soon as i put the key in the ignition even if i make a big effort to leave everything alone and not bang off the wheel. I was completely stuck one day and had to get it towed to garage. They cleaned the ignition with wire an oil but I think I have been just lucky that its not jammed again . There seems to be a knack in getting it to unlock but i have a fear everytime i go to newry that i may not be able to get it started again. I just got a form to renew the tax at 650 and its making me think it might be time to get rid of it. I'd love the c30 but that boot is not very practical for me though but im still debating that. Plus there is the horsebox...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Hey , I own a 08 C30 . I had a 07 C30 . I traded up from 1.6 to 1.8. Iv done 40000 km on it and its going fine with only one problem and thats related to the bio fuel part . Apart from that no problem at al.

Im selling it too if anyone is interested . VERY good price with full service history .... lol ill be waiting a long time i know ...lol

GusGus wrote: »
    Hey , I own a 08 C30 . I had a 07 C30 . I traded up from 1.6 to 1.8. Iv done 40000 km on it and its going fine with only one problem and thats related to the bio fuel part . Apart from that no problem at al.
    VERY good price with full service history .... lol ill be waiting a long time i know ...lol

Whats wrong with the bio fuel part??? that's what really made me start the thread (nearly called it a string!).

• Advertisement

The flexifuel cars were only good for 1 thing, and that was getting a reduced VRT bill. Diesel all the way.

well what has happened is that at times the car would loose power . this happened twice . like i could be at lights and insert into gear and it would go no where , sign might come up lack of engine power.

Garage respose was to change a computer component and say that it was related to the fuel as the car was having difficult knowing if it was using petrol or bio fuel. ( i know im still looking at the fella who told me this it was like my car was having feelings or something... bit mad )

anyway they changed a part twice now.... seems ok ...

well what has happened is that at times the car would loose power . this happened twice . like i could be at lights and insert into gear and it would go no where , sign might come up lack of engine power.

Garage respose was to change a computer component and say that it was related to the fuel as the car was having difficult knowing if it was using petrol or bio fuel. ( i know im still looking at the fella who told me this it was like my car was having feelings or something... bit mad )

anyway they changed a part twice now.... seems ok ...

That's awful. Glad its feeling better now! Is there a huge difference in the amount of fuel you use?

do u mean betweeb my 1.6 or 1.8 ? or do u mean between bio fuel or petrol

do u mean betweeb my 1.6 or 1.8 ? or do u mean between bio fuel or petrol

The bio and petrol

Gos ye , huge . u get at least 20% less with bio fuel. but there was a time when there was more than a 20% difference in the price too . not in the last few months but if petrol goes higher as it is then it might be beneficial 2 use the bio fuel again . i did for a few months last summer cause it was cheaper.

Ill sell you mine for a very good price btw ......ha ha ha

Gos ye , huge . u get at least 20% less with bio fuel. but there was a time when there was more than a 20% difference in the price too . not in the last few months but if petrol goes higher as it is then it might be beneficial 2 use the bio fuel again . i did for a few months last summer cause it was cheaper.

Ill sell you mine for a very good price btw ......ha ha ha

yeah you love it that much!

well it is my second C30 so i do like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 rtunes

Got a 1.8 petrol C30 - love it. Right about the tiny boot and the naff removable cover but you can get a hard/perm version which I haven't seen. It can be a pain getting people in and out of the back seats and its only a four seater which might be inconvenient. Otherwise driving it is a dream.

Advertisement