Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating Website

Options
  • 22-06-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Your not going to believe this......... I've been using a dating site for a few weeks and I've had my account frozen for giving someone my contact details!! I thought that was the whole point:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Sounds like the junior discos down home.

'Yis can look at each other, but none o' that touchin' or talkin' lark, d'yhear?'

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

It's in the terms and conditions - not that I ever read them - that if you're not a paid up member you can't exchange details with someone who is., I'm only a freebie. I've also just read that you can't arrange to meet up either - I just don't get it.

It is a gimmick to make you spend.
    There are free sites. I've seen okcupid.com, and connectingsingles.ie recommended by Tllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

So their attitude is look but don't touch?? Seems a bit cruel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Don't pay for one. There's plenty of good free ones out there. connectingsingles and plentyoffish are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

On some dating sites, member email addresses are readily displayed and on others, even this piece of information is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

I've been banned until the middle of July, complete joke.
    Thanks for the names of the other sites, signed up and ready to go.

Bring on the men:D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

I wonder if you gave your email address in different lines would it get by their filter?

Like:

you

youremail.com

Or similarily with your phone number.

Robbin' bastids!!!

PS I'm offering my dating services to any one interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

theres also smooch .com :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

rock chic wrote: »
    theres also smooch .com :o

Dive of a place. My photo is up there and has a rating of 3/10. The very same pic on connectingsingles is 7.8
    Guess which site I prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Effigy

HEya..it is a complete rip off...be clever and write your entire email address, i.e marysmith at hot mail.
    Don't be giving out your phone number though! Email a few fellas first, and if you need advice PM me...I could tell you some horror stories i would not want to publish as nobody would beleive they were true!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Galvasean wrote: »
    Dive of a place. My photo is up there and has a rating of 3/10. The very same pic on connectingsingles is 7.8

Egotistical bastard. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Effigy wrote: »
    if you need advice PM me...I could tell you some horror stories i would not want to publish as nobody would beleive they were true!!!;)

Horror stories about dating websites? I've a profile on a dating site so I would be interested in hearing some stories. Will pm you tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

this might be a little off topic but its related to joining dating websites

do you think one should join a dating website if you have no clear idea of whether you want a relationship or not?

i mean, i generally don't go shopping without a list, otherwise i pick up something i don't need/want :D

of course, i am assuming that the majority of people who join a dating website would like to be in a relationship with someone....am i wrong?

and i also assume that dating websites are not meat markets, if you understand me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

ciagr297 wrote: »
    do you think one should join a dating website if you have no clear idea of whether you want a relationship or not?

Yes, I think so... why wouldn't you?
    of course, i am assuming that the majority of people who join a dating website would like to be in a relationship with someone....am i wrong?

Yep, you're wrong.

and i also assume that dating websites are not meat markets, if you understand me

And wrong again :)

You will find the same amount of fcukwits, users and idiots on a dating website as you'll find in a nightclub situation. Some are total meat markets, others a bit better. At the end of the day, it's just another tool. It helps widen your search, as it were.

But people use the sites for all sorts of reasons - boredom, curiosity, desperation, attention seeking, loneliness... some are just looking for sex, and others are indeed looking for a proper relationship.

The key, as always, is weeding out the ones you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

shellyboo wrote: »
    You will find the same amount of fcukwits, users and idiots on a dating website as you'll find in a nightclub situation. Some are total meat markets, others a bit better. At the end of the day, it's just another tool. It helps widen your search, as it were.
    :D:D

excellent that i am wrong on both counts - and yes, i am considering joining one of them. any particular favourites?

:D:D

excellent that i am wrong on both counts - and yes, i am considering joining one of them. any particular favourites?

Nope, I gave them up as a bad job a good while back :) I found they were too full of guys just looking for the ride, tbh, and I got annoyed with it! They're grand if you're just looking for something casual, or looking to get back into the swing of dating or whatever... but if you're looking for a big serious relationship I think they're not completley ideal.

That's not to say that people don't find life partners there, I'm sure they do - but I think there's such an element of luck inherent in finding that person at all, that you could find them anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

shellyboo wrote: »
    Nope, I gave them up as a bad job a good while back :) I found they were too full of guys just looking for the ride, tbh, and I got annoyed with it! They're grand if you're just looking for something casual, or looking to get back into the swing of dating or whatever... but if you're looking for a big serious relationship I think they're not completley ideal.

That's not to say that people don't find life partners there, I'm sure they do - but I think there's such an element of luck inherent in finding that person at all, that you could find them anywhere!

Out of my 7 good girl friends 6 of us have found long term partners on dating sites and I know plenty others too so it's not just luck, it has a high success rate from what I've seen and heard.

ciara, sites i would reccomend are: connectingsingles and plentyoffish, these are the ones I used. You won't know til you try, might aswell give it a go anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Corb wrote: »
    ciara connectingsingles and plentyoffish are the ones I used.
    The site is called "ciara"? o_O

Meh, I'm on okcupid, and some other one. No feedback yet, though :(

Corb wrote: »
    Out of my 7 good girl friends 6 of us have found long term partners on dating sites and I know plenty others too so it's not just luck, it has a high success rate from what I've seen and heard.

ciara connectingsingles and plentyoffish are the ones I used. You won't know til you try, might aswell give it a go anyway :)

Oh I've found boyfriends, sure... but it was more hassle than it's worth really. That was my main point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'll put another vote in for connectingsingles. Haven't met anyone off it yet but I've had some great conversations.. unfortunately mostly with foreigners, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Foreigners need love too!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kilkennym

is there still a internet dating seen in ireland?
    thought it was a bit seedy for me. havent done it in years...
    met some odd balls on it i could tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

michelleasia pimping of your site is not allowed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

i just joined *SNIP*
    its pretty cool and all you guys get free 6 months membership if they join with a photo problem is its new so not many hunks on it yet
    and stay away from the free sites if people are not willing to pay they are time wasting w... anchors.

I know plenty of people who have met their partners on free dating websites. Why should you have to pay anyway? That's just the people behind those sites trying to rip off vulnerable people, the free ones do the exact same thing. Maybe a few more time wasters but in general I'm sure there isn't much of a difference from the ones you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I met my OH on a fee paying one.... anotherfriend.com. I know a few people that have been sucessful on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Galvasean wrote: »

They were guessing your height on the first one dude, 10 being an average height and you being 3/10ths there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

This thread prompted me into research mode ... it's surprising the amount of attractive women on these sites, some are actually soooo attractive that you kiiinda have to wonder if they've any personality at all, though that's probably a bit harsh without further research :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

This thread prompted me into research mode ... it's surprising the amount of attractive women on these sites, some are actually soooo attractive that you kiiinda have to wonder if they've any personality at all, though that's probably a bit harsh without further research :)

So are you assuming only not so good looking people use internet dating? I think being in a relationship has very little to do with looks. Obviously better looking people will get more attention from the opposite sex but i think thats the only difference it makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I guess the pay ones weed out the people who just create profiles for the laugh and never really come back to them.
    okcupid has a fair few profiles where people have signed up just to do the quizes.

Advertisement