Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best of Donegal ???

Options
  • 22-06-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I am going to Donegal in July for a week with the family. We have been there plenty of times but I am getting bored of just being at the beach for a week and that is if its not raining!!!!! We'll be around the Killybegs area and don't want to be driving too much as the youngest in the group is a year old and the oldest is in his forties. Please do not suggest walks I think I have been on most of them I am just looking for something different and that most of us could enjoy .. Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

Well you could visit Letterkenny. It's a bit of a distance though. Have a walk around the town etc. Go fishing in Killybegs.

Plenty of shops in Letterkenny. Museum, Parks, cathedral, pubs, eateries, monuments, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

you should have been at the weekend! what about boat trips in donegal town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Melly's for fish n' chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

i guess you have a big age range to look after. And what a 1 year old would enjoy might not be best suited for a 40 year old. Maybe split the you party into groups and do things what each group would be interested in, then in the evening you all would have more to talk about too on what each group did that day.

Check out the activities on the donegal direct web site, few good ideas there, covers activities for all of Donegal though.

http://ww.donegaldirect.ie/ws_section_list.aspx?Section=Activities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Glenveigh National Park is pretty good for all ages..its got activities for kids & plenty to see & do for older folk. Plenty of walks though so if you're not looking to do that then I dont know..

Maybe a day trip to somewhere like Aranmore or Tory Island?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Harps wrote: »
    Glenveigh National Park is pretty good for all ages..its got activities for kids & plenty to see & do for older folk. Plenty of walks though so if you're not looking to do that then I dont know..

Maybe a day trip to somewhere like Aranmore or Tory Island?

Glenveagh? I was eaten alive by midges the last time I was there.
    Try the Famine Museum at Dooagh or, if you want to travel more than a few miles, An Grianán, on the N13 between Letterkenny and Derry.

Duke's Kitchens

"Not just good in the kitchen, good in the bedroom too."

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

wrote: »
    Duke's Kitchens

"Not just good in the kitchen, good in the bedroom too."
    Helpful indeed. Let that be the end of it.

I was only joking just like the other post by Snollup "Melly's for fish n' chips!". Did he not get infracted. Anywho that's it. Let's get back to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hitch to Mayo and you'll be grand, fewer boy racers and the obvious advantage of being able to understand people who don't say eeeeyyyeee and oooocckkkk etc etc etc etc numerous times in every sentence. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Gartan adventure centre & St Colmcille birthplace would also pass a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hitch to Mayo and you'll be grand, fewer boy racers and the obvious advantage of being able to understand people who don't say eeeeyyyeee and oooocckkkk etc etc etc etc numerous times in every sentence. :D
    If you have nothing constructive to add then leave the trolling comments at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

Thanks everyone for your suggestions keep them coming in even some of them gave me a giggle, bold I know... Is there any parks or estates near to where I am going?? Also someone said the watercentre in Ballyshannon, any reviews good or bad ????? Thanks

Is that not just a swimming pool? I wouldn't know. What about Waterworld in Bundoran. I'd say that's too far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Try an make a trip to Maghera beach if you get the weather, has to be the nicest beach i;ve seen on a good day. Waterfall on the way up , white sand, shallow water for the kids, cliffs with caves in to look around.

No too long a drive either

Is it worth a trip to Bundoran Waterworld ???

If you like water and swimming.

By the way my other half is from Killybegs, and every time we go I am looking for things to do or places to go and I had to come here for your suggestions thanks again and shame on him!!!!!!! lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you're happy enough to go swimming then I'd recommend Waterworld..haven't been there in years but it was always a good day out and has plenty of slides, rapids, waves etc that'll keep you occupied for a few hours.

As for estates, I'm not overly familiar with that part of the county, Glenveagh is the only one I can think of off the top of my head but its probably a bit far. Plenty of parks and stuff in Letterkenny if you're willing to travel as well

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Never did it myself but you could always try out a retreat in Saint Patricks Purgatory on Lough Derg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If your about this weekend SeaSessions is on in bundoran, i'd say there will be loads of things to do down and around there, surfing competitions ect.

Bar that you could take a trip to glencolmcille, there is a tourist village there, how about dunlewy?loads for all the family, petting farm, and play area's for kids and a guided boat run on the lake for the older ones.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

And of course there's the very promising Donegal Town Summer Festival next weekend! Should be good craic.

Advertisement