Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 3 series spare key needed

• 22-06-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I have bought a 320CI 2003 and I only got 1 key with it. From searching the internet I am finding mixed results. Some say that lock smiths/services can do it, but others say I need to get it through a BMW dealer. Can I get a definitive answer? Also how much it should cost? I am Dublin based but would go to the north if I thought I would get it cheaper there. Also, can I get one cut without a blipper that will open and start the car, and the only diservice I have is that I can't remote lock my car?

many thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I bought a few off of ebay and wound up throwing them away and getting one from a dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I used to have a 95 325 and to get another key i had to go to bmw with the log book and some id, I think it only cost around 120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I have bought a 320CI 2003 and I only got 1 key with it. From searching the internet I am finding mixed results. Some say that lock smiths/services can do it, but others say I need to get it through a BMW dealer. Can I get a definitive answer? Also how much it should cost? I am Dublin based but would go to the north if I thought I would get it cheaper there. Also, can I get one cut without a blipper that will open and start the car, and the only diservice I have is that I can't remote lock my car?

many thanks all.

A BMW key, coded to your car will run you between €165 and €240 depending on the model.

You will need call a BMW dealer and ask him what you need to bring with you to order the key (proof of ownership etc.).

As far as I know, a locksmith will not be able to get you a properly coded key.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would ring a northern dealer, give them your VIN number and order a key.

on the day of collection you will need the log book, to show who owns the car and some id to show you are the person that owns the car, licence should be ok.

ive bought to BMW keys for 2 different BMW's and thats what i have done in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I paid €150 for a spare key from the BMW dealership in Milltown (Murphy and Gunne?) for an e39 a few weeks ago. I don't think they will touch ones you get from eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 therookiefal

thanks all, got a quote of 161 off joe duffy, waiting for more to get back me...hardly a bargain at that rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

thanks all, got a quote of 161 off joe duffy, waiting for more to get back me...hardly a bargain at that rate!

Not too bad a price (although an absolue rip-off all the same for a €1 part and 20 minutes of labour); I was quoted €240 for a Volvo key, and had to pay for the key before they would even order it. Total bill ended up a bit cheaper, as they took 2 days to program it - €190.

I paid around €170 for my E46 from Capital Cars in Tullamore...needed the Vehicle Registration Certificate and ID. They're pretty expesive alright, the fact that the key's internal battery cannot be changed is a pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Nforce wrote: »
    They're pretty expesive alright, the fact that the key's internal battery cannot be changed is a pain in the hole.

The internal battery is rechargeable, it is being charged through the car when you drive.
    But even rechargeable batteries can die. If this is the case and want to save yourself a fortune, try this.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510&highlight=key+battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Good link mick.

If dealers won't use blanks from eBay, are they any use at all?

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    Good link mick.

If dealers won't use blanks from eBay, are they any use at all?

The keys you find on eBay are usually either empty shells chinese replica of OEM with no electronic inside and uncut or used/new OEM key that will need to be coded.

You can get a empty one (Read chinese) if yours has the plastic damaged for example. You will have to put in your electronic part yourself. Will need to be cut as well from any shop. No need to recode if your current one is already coded.

See below for self recoding key steps - But if you have OEM alarm it might still need to be coded Autologic computer.
    http://www.programyourkeys.com/Site_Map.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Last year, I paid around the €160 mark in a main dealer for a new key for an e46. Like yourself, the spare key never came with the car. :(

Nforce wrote: »
    I paid around €170 for my E46 from Capital Cars in Tullamore...needed the Vehicle Registration Certificate and ID. They're pretty expesive alright, the fact that the key's internal battery cannot be changed is a pain in the hole.

Mick is correct, the battery in the key is rechargeable. The manual says to use the spare key on a long trip at least once or twice a year.

The manual says to use the spare key on a long trip at least once or twice a year.

Yeah correct I personnaly interchange them every 3 months so they get regularly charged/used.
    Like the AC, if you do not use it regularly, even just a few hours a month, it will break.

mick.fr wrote: »
    The internal battery is rechargeable, it is being charged through the car when you drive.
    But even rechargeable batteries can die. If this is the case and want to save yourself a fortune, try this.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510&highlight=key+battery

I carried out that mod with a couple of keys. The battery is spot welded to the terminals meaning its difficult to seperate it from the electronics. I bought a genuine, working BMW E46 key secondhand off of ebay and nicked the battery c/w terminals off the working unit and soldered them into my dodgy key.
    I then bought a key shell off ebay for a couple of euro, had the key blade cut in a local hardware, put the electronics in place and now have a third key. :)
    Mick is correct, the battery in the key is rechargeable. The manual says to use the spare key on a long trip at least once or twice a year.

The prblem lies in the fact that eventually the battery dies, leaving the owner with no option but to buy a new key....or do a Blue Peter on your old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slightly off topic:

A lad I know broke the key part of his coded car key. He got a cheap blank cut and kept the old plastic end part on the keyring. It seemed to work fine. Could save someone a few Eurospons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Bought a E46 316 full functional key off Frank Keane BMW for €149. Got it 1 month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Bought a spare key (main key replica with light - no lock buttons) for my E36 10 yrs ago from M&G Milltown, required chassis no, came from Germany 48 hrs later, cost 38 quid plus VAT. No programming, handed over the counter & drove home with it.

So what's changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Fishtits wrote: »
    Bought a spare key (main key replica with light - no lock buttons) for my E36 10 yrs ago from M&G Milltown, required chassis no, came from Germany 48 hrs later, cost 38 quid plus VAT. No programming, handed over the counter & drove home with it.

So what's changed?

Remote central locking i think!

So what's changed?

BMW keys (And other brands) have some sort of transponder embedded now, been available for over 10 years. This is a security mesure.

The chip inside the key has to be coded to your car ID to be able to start.
    If you do not have the right key coded, even if it fits, the key will obviously not send the right signal to the DME.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So what's changed?

embedded immobilisers
    remote control locking/unlocking
    remote control window operation
    remote boot operation
    and the big one......inflation :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement