Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing

Options
  • 22-06-2009 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

just wondering what this course is like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

you may need to be a little more specific dude - computing covers most of DIT courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2 XD

r u talking about the DT211 -Computing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

ye sorry DT211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It's good, but don't think for a second you can sleepwalk
    through it. It ain't as poxy as something like engineering
    or medecine, but it ain't as handy as Arts //->flaming commence:pac:

Just put in a bit of work, don't get too boged down
    by the occassional shoddiness of kevin street, and you will be grand.

Admin there are pretty shocking at times, but bear through
    and you should do ok. Don't assume anything with Admin either.

I have begrudged this issue before, but the CCNA
    networking modules are essential if you intend
    on doing any sort of network administration.

Networking/Operating systems, and programming/
    SE would complement you in any IT job.

I also like the fact there is a Solaris lab in the Annex
    buliding. Most other college labs are 100% windows based.

I admit I am not a big fan of the databases modules, but
    they will come in very handy if you ever need to administer
    databases professionally. Oracle is the main platform.

As an almost traditional rite of passage, second year
    will be a bit of a step up from first year. Don't make the
    mistake of leaving everything to the last week, study
    a bit during the year and you will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 d'NObodyspecial

Yeah, I want to take this course as well, but I'm on the dole at the moment and don't think I qualify for BTEA or VEC schemes as I've only been 3 months on. I'm trying to go through some programming books at the moment to have a general idea of C/C++ and Java, but I need advice on how to get into the program I can't afford to pay my way through with a bank loan & no job.
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Yeah, I want to take this course as well, but I'm on the dole at the moment and don't think I qualify for BTEA or VEC schemes as I've only been 3 months on. I'm trying to go through some programming books at the moment to have a general idea of C/C++ and Java, but I need advice on how to get into the program I can't afford to pay my way through with a bank loan & no job.
    Any ideas?

Dude, perhaps the best thing to do is contact the people in charge of the course and see what they can do, so quoting the course title and code - BSc in Computing, DT211 - so send an e-mail to the following people asking for information;

Programme chair, patricia.obyrne@dit.ie,
    Head of Dept, Bing.Wu@dit.ie
    Head of School, deirdre.lillis@comp.dit.ie

The Head of School is new this year, and by all accounts, she is really excellent, and will get back to you quickly.

-Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 16 d'NObodyspecial

Thanks for the advice Dan.

I did speak to Patricia about getting into the course with 'academic' qualification and the professor there Mark Deegan (straight-up dude), but I figured that they wouldn't really be in the know about 'financial' qualification issues...just the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Thanks for the advice Dan.

I did speak to Patricia about getting into the course with 'academic' qualification and the professor there Mark Deegan (straight-up dude), but I figured that they wouldn't really be in the know about 'financial' qualification issues...just the course.

I would totally recommend you ask them about the money side also, the School of Computing lecturers are generally great for hunting down information to help people participate in the courses.

Advertisement