Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Bird found- Advice needed!

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys, hope someone here can help.

Found a small bird outside today. Only noticed him because my pup was staring at him. When I went over to him he didn't fly away. When he was picked up you could see one of his legs was hanging limp, he doesn't grip when you touch his claw on that foot and he can't seem to fly:(

Took him inside and he's now in a shoebox. Hope that wasn't the wrong thing to do but it was either that or let the puppy pounce on him!

So anyone have any advice? Do think there is any chance of recovery? What should I feed it or can it only be fed by it's mother? Or would it actually be better to drown it or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

This may or may not be useful http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055581254

I wouldn't drown it!
    I would try and make it comfortable, somewhere nice and warm, and protected, like it would be in the nest, with maybe cotton wool or something in part of the box?
    If you have any kind of syringe (you know the ones that aren't a needle but take up liquid?) you could try and give it some water. It may or may not make it through the night but all you can do is try. And if it does survive, take it to the nearest shelter/spca type place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

ive had a huge ammount of experience with birds both wild and tame (i even had a pet seagull who lived in our kitchen and squaked at the fone)

keep it in the showbox in a quite place and make sure the bird is in the dark as in the top isnt open.

ill write up a propper reply in a second but do that first so the bird is comphertable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

Thanks a million for the quick replys.
    Yeah I know the syringes your talking about, am sure Dad has few of those!
    Sorry I didn't mean to be blunt about drowning it, was just thinking how scared it must be and wasn't sure if I was only making it suffer more.
    Have it in the shoebox lying on a towel, lids on the box!

OK, as Ive said i have a good deal of experiencing with wild birds. the best advice i can offer is to leave it in the box over night, if it makes it through the next 24 hours its very likely it will survive but just keep in mind it more then likely wont survive, the shock alone will kill it especially if its small.

now, to make it as completable as possible put the box in a room that isn't particualary warm, because birds spend all of their life outside no matter the weather so they find out houses uncomfortably warm. having said that don't put it outside, because its injured and cant move around it will find it hard to generate its own heat.
    if you feel like putting in an old shirt or the like to make it more comfortable go ahead, the human smell wont bother it in the slightest. but keep in mind birds are wild so they don't really care for fluffy or soft things, the only benefit would be giving it the illusion is in a smaller enclosed space, which it wants (N.B. don't make it cramped!!!)

keeping it in the dark and quiet really helps. remember, the tv sound will sound freaky to it so put it in the spare room if you have one and remember, don't let the dog near it, i know it wont harm it but the snuffling and noise of him it will freak the crap out of the bird.

if you want you can put a small dish of water with small bits of soaked bread in with it too but to be honest its in severe shock at the moment so it probably wont go near it.

now, remember, in all likelihood it wont survive the night so be expecting it to be dead when you open the box tomorrow. It is in no way your own fault, it would have died a lot sooner and more uncomfortably if you left it but if you do whats above you're giving it the best chance!

Now, IF it survives the rest, thankfully, is pritty easy! if it does, write a reply in this thread or pm me n ill get back to you in no time. :)

p.s. sorry for messed up grammer or spelling, typing and dislexia dont mix :/

Ok, i've put it in the utility room away from all direct heat, noise and doggies!

Left some bread and water but to be honest I don't think it could access it even if it wanted to:( Put some water in a spoon an put it up to her beak, she did open an close her beak but don't know if she drank any.

Thanks again so much for all the advice, it will be a comfort knowing if it doesn't make it through the night that I did what I could for it. Will definitely let you know how things are tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Aye Squirl gave good advice, and you can only do your best, you've done all you can for the little critter. Do let us know! :)

kewl :) she might be a little thirsty but i honestly wouldnt worry about it. :) birds are strange little creatures, they dont need nearly as much water as mammels because they dont have sweatglands (weird, i know).

now, i realy hate to keep saying it but do not expect it to be alive. i know its harsh but its a horible feeling to find its dead when you thought it might make it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

It wouldnt suffocate in a lidded box would it ?

fingers crossed for the feathered one

ODD-JOB wrote: »
    It wouldnt suffocate in a lidded box would it ?

fingers crossed for the feathered one

hmmm, well i suppose it would get stuffy if it was closed tightly but they're so increadibly small that i wouldnt worry about it. i suppose if your worried, putting holes in the box or the like wouldnt hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

apology if i missed the bird species being mentioned,
    but surely this will have a huge impact on requirements like
    diet, growth, nesting etc,
    saved and released a few chicks before but purely cos i knew
    what type of bird they were.
    apologies again if i missed the mention of what type of bird was
    rescued!
    quote,
    ""OK, as Ive said i have a good deal of experiencing with wild birds. the best advice i can offer is to leave it in the box over night, if it makes it through the next 24 hours its very likely it will survive but just keep in mind it more then likely wont survive, the shock alone will kill it especially if its small.""

i don't think so! Rehydrate!!!!!!!!!! then let it rest!
    quote,
    ""now, remember, in all likelihood it wont survive the night so be expecting it to be dead when you open the box tomorrow. It is in no way your own fault, it would have died a lot sooner and more uncomfortably if you left it but if you do whats above you're giving it the best chance!""

probably cos you never rehydrated the suffering little chick!
    every circumstance is different!
    i think google "rescue baby bird from garden" will help.
    good luck if it didn't die in it's sleep!

• Advertisement

Every circumstance is different but people can only do their best and should be warned it may not make it. I hope it does. The species wasn't mentioned, just that the baby chick was found with a probable broken leg. The op has been trying to rehydrate the chick if you read what she's said.

Hey guys just to let youse know the bird was dead this morning:(
    Ah well did my best!
    Oh and ODD-JOB I did put holes in the lid so don't worry it didn't suffocate.

[...]
    i don't think so! Rehydrate!!!!!!!!!! then let it rest!
    quote,
    [...]
    probably cos you never rehydrated the suffering little chick!
    every circumstance is different!
    i think google "rescue baby bird from garden" will help.
    good luck if it didn't die in it's sleep!
    to be honest hydration really isn't as big a problem with birds as it is with mammals i was more worried about it having a heart attack or the like. simply catching a small bird and fiddling with it can cause it to give up the ghost.
    i may not be a qualified professional but trust me I've had a lot of experience with birds both wild and domestic, very young and very old.
    zoey wrote: »
    Hey guys just to let youse know the bird was dead this morning:(
    Ah well did my best!
    Oh and ODD-JOB I did put holes in the lid so don't worry it didn't suffocate.
    :( its a pitty to hear that but you did do the best you could. :)
    sometimes when a bird gets a shock (especially if small) or even just for no reason at all they'll go into a weird state which my mam calls turkey syndrome. sometimes birds simply give up and no matter how much care you give them they die. turkeys, especially when raised from a day old, are notorious for this

good on ya for helping it thoe :)

Advertisement