Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection keeps dropping

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope to call upon you for your help.

I have broadband with eircom. The modem is in my room, no further than 3 meters away from where I usually use my laptop which is fairly new, having bought it about 8 weeks ago. I have had the broadband connection with a netopia modem for about three years now and have had no problem with the wireless connection until the last week or two when it has been continously dropping literally every 5 minutes.

The green DSL light on my modem goes off/blinks when the connection drops.

I have not installed anything lately, nor could it be down to someone using the telephone as I mostly surf the net at nightime when everyone is in bed. The wireless connection is WPA-PSK encrypted as well. I have AVG anti-virus which is updated everyday. I've scanned the computer but nothing showed up so I am really struggling to figure out what is wrong as my sister lives nearby and her eircom broadband is fine.

I'm slowly losing my patience and losing the will to live. Please help! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

it could be a neighbour causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

I live in a detached bungalow. But i would like to rule out the possibility it could be my neighbour causing the problem. How do I do so and if it is the case, how do I go about solving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Don't rule out the modem being broken, the silver 2247's seem dont last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Hi guys,

Hope to call upon you for your help.

I have broadband with eircom. The modem is in my room, no further than 3 meters away from where I usually use my laptop which is fairly new, having bought it about 8 weeks ago. I have had the broadband connection with a netopia modem for about three years now and have had no problem with the wireless connection until the last week or two when it has been continously dropping literally every 5 minutes.

The green DSL light on my modem goes off/blinks when the connection drops.

I have not installed anything lately, nor could it be down to someone using the telephone as I mostly surf the net at nightime when everyone is in bed. The wireless connection is WPA-PSK encrypted as well. I have AVG anti-virus which is updated everyday. I've scanned the computer but nothing showed up so I am really struggling to figure out what is wrong as my sister lives nearby and her eircom broadband is fine.

I'm slowly losing my patience and losing the will to live. Please help! Thanks!

There was a very similar thread recently and AVG turned out to be the problem, try disabling it in startup, though if the DSL light is flashing, it could be your phone line. Ring telecom eireann on 1901 and ask for a line test.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Silver?? I have this one if it helps http://www.gumtree.ie/posting_images/45/36224645__1237139436__1__1-503844737c90ea0c40d1db1aed8aca99.__big__.jpg

But yeah you're right it may be the possibilty that the modem is fcked.. Will have to get someone to look at it if any other suggestion you guys can come up with fails..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Be consistent in your attempt to diagnose the problem.

Step one connect the laptop to the modem/router using an ethernet cable to see if the signal drops.

If it does check your line stats to see if the snr is ok.

If it doesn't drop then the wireless is the problem. Use netstumbler to see if there are any other networks around. You could try and change the wireless channel anyway. Are there any wireless gizmos in the house?

And finally if you are losing the will to live because of some wireless problems then this thread really should be in the personal issues forum!

Advertisement