Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Otter in the Dodder

Options
  • 22-06-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

There's an otter in the Dodder. I saw him under the Luas bridge near the dropping well pub.

A local said that he's 'always' been there, usually nearer to Clonskeagh, with another one, presumably his mate. He looked very well fed and contended. He may have been a she.

I've never seen an otter in there before, i thought he might have come down from the mountains.

any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Congratulations DocF. You're now a member of a very small club, Dodder City Centre Otter Watchers!

It's been over 10 years since I saw a mother and cub playing (or teaching the cub to fish) up at Rathfarnham - a memorable sight.
    I suspect they are very few in numbers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'd imagine they are few and far between around populated areas.
    We've quite a few on the Boyne - they even hang around between the bridges in the town from time to time. However, you usually have to be out in the quiter stretches to see them. They are a fabulous aninmal to watch. I had one swim round me one evening while wading - he even brushed off my legs which was a bit scary:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

nice! ive only ever seen the one in wild. very cute, didnt seem to mind me much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Used to be one living on the liffey in the city center. Saw it a few times, usually at night. First time was the night they put up the spire on O'Connell Street, was walking down along the queys that evening and saw one perched on the supports for one of the bridges eating some sort of fish. Saw either the same one or another one in the same area three or four times after that. Moved out of the city centre a few years back so dont know if there still around, dont see why not though.
    Seen them while fishingon the Boyne aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There have been a couple of threads on city otters over the past year. They appear to be increasing in urban areas. There are images here somewhere of one at Heuston station/Islandbridge from a few months back. There have even been some reports of them on the Grand Canal.

I must take a stroll down to Clonskeagh some evening. Thanks for the report!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Michael Viney's column in the Times on Saturday often has reports of Otters in the Dodder, or in one of the canals, to which he replies with something like "Yes. We know they are there and they have been for years!"
    Personally I think it's a joy and an honour to see one anywhere and more so in the city. Enjoy!

Michael Viney's column in the Times on Saturday often has reports of Otters in the Dodder, or in one of the canals, to which he replies with something like "Yes. We know they are there and they have been for years!"
    Personally I think it's a joy and an honour to see one anywhere and more so in the city. Enjoy!

It is a joy indeed :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Amazing how they can survive in such a rubbish choked river:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

I have spoken to Experts on this topic on the Radio and believe it or not the fresh waterways around dublin are some of the cleanest in the country..dont confuse the odd trolley and cone for a dirty water system,its the quality of the water thats important...and all tests say it passes with flying colours.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

yep thats true. I work on Kylemore rd. Bluebell. The river camac passes the shelldon park hotel. It used to be a toxic waterway downstream from teh mill at clondalkin. These days I watch biggish trout, herons, mallards in it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kaldorn wrote: »
    I have spoken to Experts on this topic on the Radio and believe it or not the fresh waterways around dublin are some of the cleanest in the country..dont confuse the odd trolley and cone for a dirty water system,its the quality of the water thats important...and all tests say it passes with flying colours.:)

Interesting - i actually find rivers in many parts of Kildare to be quiet clean due to the non-intensive nature of the bloodstock industry. Some of the worst pollution in the country is actually in the West and midlands through a combination of intensive dairy farming, one off dodgy septic tanks and appalling planning that allowed huge housing estates next to lakes and rivers in what were tiny villages without proper sewage treatment. Explains the state of the Shannon lakes and the Corrib:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

saw one as a child in the fields of kinsealy...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

yep thats true. I work on Kylemore rd. Bluebell. The river camac passes the shelldon park hotel. It used to be a toxic waterway downstream from teh mill at clondalkin. These days I watch biggish trout, herons, mallards in it every day.

The company I work for was one of the original paper mills on the Camac (going back many many moons ago). Thirty years ago, you could tell what paper Clondalkin was making by the colour of the river. It would vary from beige to brown to green, depending on what they were making. The river was dead as far as wildlife was concerned, but it has improved no end now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Freethinker

There are otters in the grand canal. I watch them almost every night

There are otters in the grand canal. I watch them almost every night

PM me where please?:)

I want to take my niece to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

same, pm please

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

any chance you could pm me as well. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

this should be funny..about 10 of us show up and scare the bollix out of the otter but seriously id love to see them in the wild..never seen one in the wild ever..can you belieive it and all walking at stupid hours of the morning looking for wildlife...my mate who isnt that much into wildlife goes fishing and see's them all the time.:confused:

Kaldorn wrote: »
    this should be funny..about 10 of us show up and scare the bollix out of the otter but seriously id love to see them in the wild..never seen one in the wild ever..can you belieive it and all walking at stupid hours of the morning looking for wildlife...my mate who isnt that much into wildlife goes fishing and see's them all the time.:confused:

Sods Law :D!! I have seen them often and have had lovely encounters with them while out working.

Actually, not a bad idea if we maybe could organise for a few of us to meet up :). But not until I finish this bleedin' thesis!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

I have been very lucky to see otters on the Dodder on several occasions, there is large dog otter below milltown, the Otter at 9 arches has been seen by many people, there was a young one in Doyles field (orwell park) last year (seen twice) and several years ago I saw (on 3 occasions) on otter at the stretch below Mount Carmel Hospital ,I've seen Barn Owls here too. at Rathfarnham i've heard them and seen the Spraints (poo) on rocks they use to mark their territory. which leads to the following question? otters normally need a territory of about 3 miles of river, they will also cross into land beside the river too. A thing they are unable to do in the dodder due to the built up nature of the city. so they seem to be existing on smaller territories? also are they becoming more tolerant of humans on the dodder? as the banks are very busy? any way it is good to see them as being a highly protected species it gives us another weapon to fight for the river with. to any one wanting to see an otter ..stop looking and one day when you don't expect it.lutra lutra will pop up right in front of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement