Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forecasts for next year

• 22-06-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Maybe a bit early with the silly transfer season to come but hey, what the feck. Looking for predictions for next season:

English PL - Chelsea
    English Champ - Middlesbrough
    La Liga - Barcelona
    Serie A - Inter Milan
    Bundesliga - Bayern Munich
    Ligue 1 - Marseille
    Eircom League - Bohemians
    Scottish PL - Celtic

CL - Barcelona
    UEFA Cup - CSKA Moscow
    World Cup - Brazil

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

impossible to know until its clear what people are doing in the transfer market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Scousers - "This is Our Year!"

Back on Topic, the one that stands out as being the most dodgy IMO is Brazil for the World Cup. Surely Spain with the talent at their disposal and having gotten over their habit of bottling it at Euro 2008 would be everyone's team to beat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

flahavaj wrote: »
    Scousers - "This is Our Year!"

Back on Topic, the one that stands out as being the most dodgy IMO is Brazil for the World Cup. Surely Spain with the talent at their disposal and having gotten over their habit of bottling it at Euro 2008 would be everyone's team to beat?

I agree, Spain are the main threat - it will be interesing to see how the Confed Cup goes. Brazil-Spain has the potential to be a cracker. Brazil are always there or there abouts and whoever beats them will win the WC (imo they will not be beaten next year). Spain would more scared of playing Brazil than Brazil playing Spain. Brazil to win the Confed Cup and lay down the marker for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cloudy, with regular showers and the occasional bit of sun.

Warper wrote: »
    Spain would more scared of playing Brazil than Brazil playing Spain. Brazil to win the Confed Cup and lay down the marker for next year.

couldnt possibly disagree with you anymore if i tried.

Spain are better in every single area on the pitch.

Brazil would be ****ting their load about playing Spain at the minute.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    couldnt possibly disagree with you anymore if i tried.

Spain are better in every single area on the pitch.

Brazil would be ****ting their load about playing Spain at the minute.

Are u mad? I say Brazil cant wait to get their hands on Spain. People are getting carried away with Spain - they win 1 competition and everyone thinks they are unbeatable.

Are u mad? I say Brazil cant wait to get their hands on Spain. People are getting carried away with Spain - they win 1 competition and everyone thinks they are unbeatable.

think its more to do with the way they are playing.

the depth of their squad.

being unbeaten in last 35 international matches.

and the fact that this brazil squad is quite weak in comparrison to squads of theirs from years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Brazil win loads of competitions in the past and everyone thinks their current team is good.

The Confed Cup final will tell a lot. Both teams are going into it in top form and it will prove to people that this Spain team, while a savage team, still have a bit to go before they win the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Maybe a bit early with the silly transfer season to come but hey, what the feck. Looking for predictions for next season:

English PL - Chelsea
    La Liga - Barcelona
    Serie A - Inter Milan
    Ligue 1 - Marseille
    Scottish PL - Celtic

CL - Barcelona
    UEFA Cup - CSKA Moscow
    World Cup - Brazil

Any thoughts?

League of Ireland.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

The Confed Cup final will tell a lot. Both teams are going into it in top form and it will prove to people that this Spain team, while a savage team, still have a bit to go before they win the World Cup.

You're right, about 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

League One - Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

League One - Leeds

You sound a bit like the Liverpool fans there , "This is Our Year!"

You sound a bit like the Liverpool fans there , "This is Our Year!"

So, from me posting 3 words, you've come to that conclusion? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

So, from me posting 3 words, you've come to that conclusion? :rolleyes:

No, it's based on listening to Leeds fans for the past few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

EPL - Liverpool THIS is our year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no european team has ever won the world cup outside of europe, i certainly wouldn't be rushing to the bookies putting money on spain

two years is a hell of long time in international football, holland in 1988 were fantastic, unbeatable, etc etc, come 1990 they were a shadow of the euro 88 winners

No, it's based on listening to Leeds fans for the past few years

We've been in League One for 2 seasons.

Season 1 - We started on a minus 15 points deduction so I very much doubt you heard ANY Leeds fans saying we were gonna win the League.

Season 2 - Fair enough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

EPL - Liverpool THIS is our year

One of our lads on the Kop last year had a Banner that read 'This is Next season',at least he will get another season out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do you know something about Bohemians that everyone else doesn't?

Potential lotto wins or miraculous 12 month economic turnarounds don't count.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spain are big time bottlers in the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Spain were big time bottlers in the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm gonna go all out and say the prem title is limited to Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm gonna go all out and say the prem title is limited to Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me!!!

Take Arsenal out of that list and I would agree with you. Three horse race again this season methinks.

I seriously fancy Bayern for the German League next year. The Ribery situation is interesting - if they keep him, they hold on to one of the best players in the world - if the sell him they get a bagload of cash to strenghten their squad. Plus Van Gaal has just taken over and he normally does great in his first year.

La Liga is obviously between Barca and Real and it should be fascinating.

Inter and Juve look like contending Seria A unless Milan sign someone like Kaka which is doubtful.

The PL is between the top 3 with slight preference for Chelsea - Arsenal are just too light-weight and may even drop out of the top 4 if Everton start off well.

Brasil, Brasil, Brasil to finish off next year in style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ronaldo to flop at Real.

United to finish no higher than 3rd in the league, Chelsea and Liverpool to battle it our for the title, with Chelsea cruising to the title from April onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

English PL - Chelsea
    La Liga - Barcelona
    Serie A - Inter Milan
    Ligue 1 - Marseille
    Scottish PL - Celtic Rangers

CL - Barcelona
    UEFA Cup - CSKA Moscow
    World Cup - Brazil

Any thoughts?

There fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Des wrote: »
    Ronaldo to flop at Real.

United to finish no higher than 3rd in the league, Chelsea and Liverpool to battle it our for the title, with Chelsea cruising to the title from April onwards.

I think this will turn out to be the closest to coming true of all forecasts so far, except for one thing, liverpool's title challenge falling away in late february, early march, after a rant by a club official about chelsea's organised crime links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

sticking my neck out a bit

man utd won't retain league
    barcelona won't retain champions league
    a non-european winner of the world cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rossie1977 wrote: »

:confused:

now that's sticking the neck out

so who do you think will win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

this is our year :P

rossie1977 wrote: »

Realistically theres only Brazil and Argentina.

With Maradona in charge at Argentina I can see them being a shambles.

That leaves Brazil who I'm not at all convinced by on the evidence of the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

With Maradona in charge at Argentina I can see them being a shambles.

Brazil up next in the qualifiers. There are in a small bit of bother already.

Boggles wrote: »
    Brazil up next in the qualifiers. There are in a small bit of bother already.

Exactly. Wasn't it Bolivia thumped them 6-1? Maradona = Argentina's answer to Keegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Exactly. Wasn't it Bolivia thumped them 6-1? Maradona = Argentina's answer to Keegan.

They will still qualify I'd say, if Brazil beat them though, Maradona could get the P45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boggles wrote: »
    They will still qualify I'd say, if Brazil beat them though, Maradona could get the P45.

God i hope he's gone soon, Requilme (spelling?) is a big miss, another thing we could thank maradona for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

English PL - Chelsea
    La Liga - Barcelona
    Serie A - Inter Milan
    Ligue 1 - Marseille
    Scottish PL - Celtic

CL - Barcelona
    UEFA Cup - CSKA Moscow
    World Cup - Brazil

Any thoughts?

Really? with that defence? Ref won iit for them against Chelsea and Utd didnt turn up on the night not a hope

ecoli wrote: »
    Really? with that defence? Ref won iit for them against Chelsea and Utd didnt turn up on the night not a hope

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Really?

Could you honestly see them beating Chelsea this year if they pited against them? or Utd if they had played like they did in the Semi s. Add in the World Club championships, a closer title race with Real (still believe they will win) all these factors i believe the record of no team retaining the Champions League is safe for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

C'mon now, in fairness Barca are a class outfit, and are a cut about the rest when they get their game going. Yes they can be stopped as Chelsea showed in parts, and they're far from a shoe-in but they should be favourites for the CL and rightly so. Really don't know how you can write off a team with Iniesta, Xavi and Messi in it.

In the CL final they didn't even really need a defence, such was their dominance and quality of possession. If I had to pick a CL winner right now i'd also say Barca and in fairness how can you argue against that? Summer signings should give us more of an indication but writing off Barca makes no sense at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement