Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did this ever take off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Regardless of the size of the country, I think it's a bit of a fairytale in these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know Paul & he is now importing cars to order. I think they have a website like dreamcars.ie now.
    Not sure the club came to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

If it did take of the this bit could be quite interesting.....

Quote from article.

"They have an arrangement with the Northern Irish end of the business to rotate the cars between clubs north and south of the Border."

Pretty sure that an Irish resident cannot drive a foreign registered car without VRT being paid on said vehicle.

So there you are posing in the NI reg'd Bugatti Veyron that you've picked and you get a tap on the window from your friendly Customs/AGS officer.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

keefg wrote: »
    Pretty sure that an Irish resident cannot drive a foreign registered car without VRT being paid on said vehicle.

If it's been registered in both countries then you could freely swap the plates when it moves

If it's been registered in both countries

Didn't know it was possible to keep a car registered in 2 countries.

then you could freely swap the plates when it moves

So they'd still be stung for VRT then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This one took off :D

I can well understand why their insurance would be through the roof.

3344216788_f5bcec0494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Canacourse

I read about that accident in Sandyford. I thought the car in the picture was privately owned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It was in the stock of a well known prestigious car dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If it's been registered in both countries then you could freely swap the plates when it moves

You could indeed freely swap the plates but it's highly illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As for supercar hire clubs... there's one up North, they bought a new Gallardo LP560-4 a few weeks ago and it was smashed on the M1 recently.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    As for supercar hire clubs... there's one up North, they bought a new Gallardo LP560-4 a few weeks ago and it was smashed on the M1 recently.

This must be a nightmare of a worry for these companies. Joe Soap jumps into an outrageously fast car that they are not used to and sticks it into a ditch.

Is it true that when you buy one of these super/hyper cars that you are given some driving lessons/tips by the manufacturer before you are unleashed on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i was thinking about this idea for ages,obviously you would need a lotto win to set it up but there is nowhere in this country to rent proper supercars,im starting to see why now!! did they say there insurance was £1million:eek:,might not be the best business idea!

i mean a business to rent out supercars not join a fancy club to drive them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This must be a nightmare of a worry for these companies. Joe Soap jumps into an outrageously fast car that they are not used to and sticks it into a ditch.

Joe soap doesnt drop 20-25k a year to join a club to drive cars part time.

Which brings me to another part of that. If you have 20-25k of free cash every year to throw about on driving cars, why would you not just buy yourself a supercar?

The Ferrari was crashed by an employee was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

It works if you want to drive a variety of cars. Avoids spending over 100k on a car to then realise you dont like it a few months later.

Is it true that when you buy one of these super/hyper cars that you are given some driving lessons/tips by the manufacturer before you are unleashed on the road?

Nope, you're given the keys and quick lesson on what buttons do what and then you're sent on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They should should make prospective drivers go through a rigorous pre test before they are allowed take them out in public. Luckily no one was killed in that Sandyford crash. Large supersports bikes are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They should should make prospective drivers go through a rigorous pre test before they are allowed take them out in public. Luckily no one was killed in that Sandyford crash. Large supersports bikes are the same.

Like the way they make 17 year old kids do a vigorous test before being let out on the roads in cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There has never been any proof that restricting new riders to less powerfull machines works. It was brought into law but no research was ever done to proof the high powered bikes or cars are more dangerous.

Don't forget that most people killed on the roads are driving standard cars/bikes. It would better to have driver training for ALL road users then just picking on a small minority.

Sure.....

Hi i'm here to VRT my Lamborghini...
    no problem SIR, just bend over there for a minute...

and hour and -€100,000 later

Thank you sir, now that we've got that sorted you'll have to go and do this rigorous test before you can actually drive your new car... have a nice day!

Advertisement