Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you proud of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

poisonated wrote: »
    we are a very loved nation.

This is a myth. Go to the South of Spain and see how much the locals love the Irish. Getting rubber drunk and wrecking the place does not normally win the hearts of the locals. Funny that.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

PaulieD wrote: »
    This is a myth. Go to the South of Spain and see how much the locals love the Irish. Getting rubber drunk and wrecking the place does not normally win the hearts of the locals. Funny that.:)

But without us they'd be nothing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

We bet the italians in WW2
    We helped St Patrick make no snakes
    We have the highest mountains in europe
    U2 have eliminated poverty in Africa (They R Irish)
    More underground oil than any other nation

The list goes on
    Okay, I'm not sure if your joking about any of that, but if you're not, then wow.

Brendan Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

jumpguy wrote: »
    Okay, I'm not sure if your joking about any of that, but if you're not, then wow.

I thought it was an ad by some anti-drugs group

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Because we're the only country to gain independence and then hand control over to the Catholic church.

But without us they'd be nothing! :D

They need tourists alright, they need moronic drunks like a hole in the head. It costs the Spanish government a fortune dealing with drunkards, the policing, the medical costs. You get the picture.

The only time I am embarrassed about being from Ireland is when I run into fellow Irish abroad, be it in Prague or the Costa Del Sol, always the same.

Big mangey red face on them, more than likely looking for a brothel, Wooo everybody loves me I am Irish, I p*ss all over the street and spew my guts up on the road. Arent I great. Tools.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Because we're the only country to gain independence and then hand control over to the Catholic church.

I think you will find that was Dev, but please continue bashing the church.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Can't think of anything in particular...it's certainly improved dramatically since I was born, but that doesn't make me proud, it makes me think "about bloody time; better late than never".
    For me to be proud, Ireland would have to be excelling at something relative to other countries...but most of the things we excel at, other countries are just as good at, and some things we were excelling at, or hoping to excel at, we're trailing behind now, like our science-based knowledge economy.

Contrastingly, there are many things in Ireland than make me ashamed and scandalised, like the abuse scandal, the health service and "Fine Fail/Fianna Gael" being our pepsi/coke answer to politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Big mangey red face on them, more than likely looking for a brothel, Wooo everybody loves me I am Irish, I p*ss all over the street and spew my guts up on the road. Arent I great. Tools.

But that's 'The Craic'! You can't take out 'The Craic' from us!

It's our free pass to be douchebags in most Irish peoples mind by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I p*ss all over the street and spew my guts up on the road. Arent I great.

When did you do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I'm proud of the fact that we have came from nothing , to having nearly the highest quality of life and GNP in the world

Yeahy us!:p

They need tourists alright, they need moronic drunks like a hole in the head. It costs the Spanish government a fortune dealing with drunkards, the policing, the medical costs. You get the picture.

The only time I am embarrassed about being from Ireland is when I run into fellow Irish abroad, be it in Prague or the Costa Del Sol, always the same.

Are you from Belgium???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

The fact that you can hit an aul one over the head on Talbot Street and get away with it!

Are you from Belgium???

No, why are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, Wilde, Behan, Heaney...

Peppapig wrote: »
    When did you do this?

When I brought your other half away for a weekend. I lowered my standards.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I don't see why anyone should be "proud" of characteristics they had no control over. I like that I'm Irish a lot, but I also like having brown hair. I didn't choose or work hard to get either. I'm proud of some of my academic achievements on the other hand, so I always think "proud" is the wrong word to choose. I would say though that probably only Jamaica come close to "country people have inexplicable affection for" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

I'm proud of...

Mr. & Mrs. Do Be and the little Does Be's.

If ya see them around, tell them I said hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Our sporting pedigree, punching way above our weight in almost every sport we undertake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question!

Really, i've never understood national pride, and I've got 2 Sinn Feiners in my family.

BTW, anyone proud to be white?

See, it just doesn't sound right. Why be proud of something that was pure chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

scop wrote: »
    Joyce, Yeats, Beckett, Wilde, Behan, Heaney...
    But you're not them so why be proud?

Unless you happen to be a literary genius?

Could you give me a reason why you think I'm not Seamus Heaney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

Fr Ted.Even if RTE turned it down:mad:

2 words -

Tommy Tiernan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Slane '09 - not even a third-world country would make such as balls of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

wrote: »
    2 words -

Tommy Tiernan.

Unfunny hack. Shouting doesn't make you funny, it just makes you an annoying douche.

Tommy is a good lad.

"Jesus on the cross. And Mary Magdalene below him." Comedy genius

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question!

Really, i've never understood national pride, and I've got 2 Sinn Feiners in my family.

BTW, anyone proud to be white?

See, it just doesn't sound right. Why be proud of something that was pure chance?

You cannot compare white nationalism to patriotism. It is absurd, Ireland is my home, its where I was brought up, its where I was educated, its where I live. I am proud of some aspects of Ireland, with all its faults, I would rather live here 90% of other countries. I am proud of some of the achievements of such a small nation.

• Advertisement

wrote: »
    2 words -

Tommy Tiernan.

Tommy needs a good oul root up the hole. Administered by my good myself. Repeatedly.

Advertisement