Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you proud of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

The fact that you could roll on down to the Phoenix Park in Dublin for a smoke or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

Charlie Haughey for his ingenuity in completely fleecing us all, getting away with it even though everyone knew and still getting a state funeral as well as being revered throughout the country.

Graham Norton......ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the GAA is something we should all be proud of. I do believe it is the largest single amateur sporting organisation in the world with approximately 800,000 members. Amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Trankton wrote: »
    Graham Norton......ha ha ha.

dont worry he's turned into a Brit now just like Terry Wogan

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    dont worry he's turned into a Brit now just like Terry Wogan

At least Wogan is funny!!!

• Advertisement

a5y wrote: »
    Irish writers. Irish poets. Irish musicians.

Thats (let me count) a few hundred reasons there.

And even though we do have so serious breakouts begrudgery and smallmindedness we don't take outselves too seriously

*cue theme tune from Father Ted*

Why do we have to use the word f*cking begrudgery in every f*cking discussion about Ireland and it's people :(.

Anyway Irish musicians? We have U2 and Thin Lizzy (had a few hits but not remembered outside of Ireland, it's a popular make up brand elsewhere!).

I think we overestimate the importance of our musical contributions.

Why do we have to use the word f*cking begrudgery in every f*cking discussion about Ireland and it's people :(.

Anyway Irish musicians? We have U2 and Thin Lizzy (had a few hits but not remembered outside of Ireland, it's a popular make up brand elsewhere!).

Ah come on, we had Bewitched and Boyzone, they rocked the world!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Ah come on, we had Bewitched and Boyzone, they rocked the world!!!!
    And don't forget we still have Daniel O'Donnell :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

wrote: »
    We can be proud we got away from the British.

We didn't really though. They're our main trading partner and if they stopped being that our country would end up back in the stone age.

Also, whenever the government introduces a new scheme, system or project it's usually just copied from a British model. If we were truly independent from them, as in had absolutely nothing to do with them, we'd still being using the horse and cart and most of the country would be without electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And U2 are clinging desperately to their past success and past decent tracks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

And Bono is the biggest knobhead in the history of the world!!!

Whats the difference between God and Bono?
    God doesnt walk around thinking he's Bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

neaideabh wrote: »
    I don't give a f()ck whether I come across racist... I hate the way we are increasingly losing our traditional values, the foreigners, I am nearly glad to see the back of them romanians in Belfast! I console with there recent plight but have no time for them, but this brings me to my next point... Scumbags... Them social benefit scrouging, burberry cap wearing scum... I would love if the govt passed an act allowing civilians to shoot the bastards if they were deemed not to be positively contributing to society. I would love if the gardai went out one night and shot all them drug dealing c()nts who are killing each other and mistakingly killing innocent civilians and say that they simply killed each other. I am sure the public would not raise any questions.

I must congratulate you on taking ever terrible opinion that's ever been spewed onto AH and putting it all in one post.

It's like reading a car crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

And Bono is the biggest knobhead in the history of the world!!!

bono the only person in the world to be nominated for an oscar, grammy, golden globe, and for the nobel prize, good man bono :pac:

irish musical contributions not just stuff you like :D

enya with approx 70 million album sales worldwide
    the corrs with approx 60 million album sales worldwide
    Chieftains, cranberries, Sinéad O'Connor, Clannad, rory gallagher, Van Morrison and something which i never heard of before called riverdance :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The fact that James Joyce came from here. Though he did work in exile for most of his life. I think that sums it up really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

rossie1977 wrote: »
    bono the only person in the world to be nominated for an oscar, grammy, golden globe, and for the nobel prize, good man bono :pac:

Big +1
    So proud to be irish cos of U2,ashamed to be Irish cos we are a nation of self hating begrudgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

He's still a knobhead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

That we dont eat swans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

At least Wogan is funny!!!

Wogan is as dry as a piece of burnt wood. Norton would be funnier now.

Maeve Higgins make me ashamed to say I'm Irish. Dullest comedian ever.

irish musical contributions not just stuff you like :D

enya with approx 70 million album sales worldwide
    the corrs with approx 60 million album sales worldwide
    Chieftains, cranberries, Sinéad O'Connor, Clannad, rory gallagher, Van Morrison and something which i never heard of before called riverdance :confused:

The Corrs, The Cranberries - they make you proud? Van Morrison is from the UK. Riverdance is a running joke against us for years.
    Sinead O'Connor is a total muppet. Rory G, very talented but 99% of people outside of Ireland don't know who he is, most Irish people under 30 wouldn't have heard any of his stuff either. Riverdance though, Christ on a bike...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Rory G, very talented but 99% of people outside of Ireland don't know who he is, most Irish people under 30 wouldn't have heard any of his stuff either.

I don't like Rory but his various albums have sold over 30 million copies combined. I'm pretty sure all of those sales weren't in Ireland.

The Corrs, The Cranberries - they make you proud?

i never said i was proud of any, i just mentioned musical contribution, like em or not those bands have sold millions of records so somebody likes their work. cranberries have had numerous top 10 hits in the states, you can count the number of bands on one hand from mainland europe that can say that

21 million have paid to watch riverdance all over the world since its inception, again like it or not its an irish institution at this stage, its been seen on broadway ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

i never said i was proud of any, i just mentioned musical contribution, like em or not those bands have sold millions of records so somebody likes their work. cranberries have had numerous top 10 hits in the states, you can count the number of bands on one hand from mainland europe that can say that

You're talking about Cranberries singles right? They had one top 10 hit in the U.S, Free to Decide. **** like this annoys me where people assume certain artists are bigger than they actually are, like that time Samantha Mumba was in a "Spielberg film", when in fact she was in a Dreamworks SKG production - the S standing for Spielberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

yaa!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Not something to be proud about in the grand scheme of things. It's is just a game after all.

you do mean the worlds greatest game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Irish rugby.

Despite being a small nation we are in the top 4 sides in the World and currently have one of the greatest players to ever play the game. No other sport have we excelled on the world stage like rugby.
    But the world doesn't really give a **** about Rugby. If we crack the top 3 then that would be an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

walshb wrote: »
    I think the GAA is something we should all be proud of. I do believe it is the largest single amateur sporting organisation in the world with approximately 800,000 members. Amazing!
    I love hurling, I don't really have a problem with Gaelic football but the GAA is a horrible association.

They try to kill off other sports (Tallaght stadium, the crap in Kerry) and they are scrounging off the Gov. They get a lot more money than any other sports organisation but, comparing it as a participant sport to others, the level of Gov funding they receive is disproportionate. Then there's the whole thing about getting their expenses paid, which goes against the idea of amateur sportsmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

i love the fact that we're not bothering to do anything about global warming and we're just welcoming the good hot weather!!:D:D:D:D

also proud that we created U2!! Greatest band ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dunnomede?

He's still a knobhead though.

reminds me of the time was passing through raheny (howth road) with a few friends in a taxi and one of them says thats where bono got married. and i said thats not a roman catholic church. friend says "ya i know he's **********" i replied "no wonder he's a plick"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

We didn't really though. They're our main trading partner and if they stopped being that our country would end up back in the stone age.

Also, whenever the government introduces a new scheme, system or project it's usually just copied from a British model. If we were truly independent from them, as in had absolutely nothing to do with them, we'd still being using the horse and cart and most of the country would be without electricity.
    Of course they're our main trading partner, they're right beside us!

Advertisement