Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless electricity

Options
2»

Comments

I'm not trying to be argumentative but signal would be better on correctly gauged cable or fiber optic.
    I think there's a huge engineering jump between wireless signal and wireless power. For example the vid. I posted is really just amplified signal. The problem with modern wireless power is it gets exponetially weaker the more it has to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bruthal wrote: »
    If you had to sit your laptop within 6 inches of the router to get it to work, would you call that wireless internet?

If you can carry your lead free electric kettle around the house and place it anywhere, and boil water in it, then we can compare it to WiFi.

The likes of charging a car without leads is nothing new in terms of technology. It is simply existing knowledge being used because an application has arose for it, ie. viable rechargeable cars.

Just to get back to this. Witricity are claiming they can operate a main hub to provide power, meters away wirelessly, but their website doesn't say whether it can power multiple objects or just one. They also mention the use of repeaters (so just like radio repeaters).

The video I seen a few days ago showed a Witricity hub being able to power numerous electronics on different levels of the house from the one hub with a few repeaters used. Didn't watch it on youtube was on the auld tv box. Done a search on it but cant find it. They also showed a diagram showing the magnetic field covering the entire two story house.

Only video I could see close to this was this one from a little over a year ago but it's not close to what Wifi can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I'm not trying to be argumentative but signal would be better on correctly gauged cable or fiber optic.
    I think there's a huge engineering jump between wireless signal and wireless power. For example the vid. I posted is really just amplified signal. The problem with modern wireless power is it gets exponetially weaker the more it has to travel.

It's the exact same with radio waves etc. ofcourse.

I suppose we see a decent amount of inefficiency with Wifi so it's probably quite easy to anticipate (and I've just read) that these hubs would require more electricity to charge your phone than having it plugged in.

So it's quite easy to expect that if this became a common power source in most homes we'd be looking at a rapid rise in power consumption in the world. Which we really don't need.

I use about 5kW/h a week whistling.gif
    Most of that is a washing machine.

Advertisement