Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

font copyright?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, i downloaded a font from this site and im just wondering if anyone can fill me in on any legal issues i might want to look out for if i use said font for a company logo.

There are a couple of letters that i dont like on the font, but it will be vastly back-boned on the font that i downloaded. There should be no legal issues if i use the font in question should there? I cant see anything in the terms and conditions about it.

I was told that modifiying something 4 times.. IE size and a few letters will make the font my own. Is this true?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As per the page linked, have you checked the font file, readme or page link for registration or commercial use licensing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

red_ice wrote: »
    I was told that modifiying something 4 times.. IE size and a few letters will make the font my own. Is this true?

Who on earth told you that ?

How on earth can changing the size of a font make it your own ...

Oh look I altered 3 letters on helvetica and changed the size ... its mine now .. MUAHAH

As Aidan said ... read the license file that was no doubt attached to the font. If it didn't have one assume you can't use it commercially or try finding the author of the font.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

red_ice wrote: »
    No, it's a lie. It's still a derivative work which is covered under copyright law.

Just buy a licence and then use it. You're allowed to modify fonts for logos, that's usually acceptable. If you start distributing the modified font it's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

As per the page linked, have you checked the font file, readme or page link for registration or commercial use licensing?

Yep
    forbairt wrote: »
    Who on earth told you that ?

How on earth can changing the size of a font make it your own ...

Oh look I altered 3 letters on helvetica and changed the size ... its mine now .. MUAHAH

As Aidan said ... read the license file that was no doubt attached to the font. If it didn't have one assume you can't use it commercially or try finding the author of the font.

I've heard that from many different walks of life! Im not just changing the font size. Theres only the TTF file in the zip folder.

p wrote: »
    No, it's a lie. It's still a derivative work which is covered under copyright law.

Just buy a licence and then use it. You're allowed to modify fonts for logos, that's usually acceptable. If you start distributing the modified font it's a different story.

I would be using the highly modified font, not the one on the site. The font on the site has a serif, which i want to make sans serif. Also e is a lowercase e and stays like that for caps, when i need it to be like E. The proportions for the font arent the same either.

I had a font in my head before i went on the site, and i would have been able to draw it up myself, but i saw something similar to it on a site so i took that one. So the font im looking for is actually a totally different font, but i could get there using a different one.

So if i build the font from scratch its not a derivative piece of work is it? As i already had the idea in my head for it, i just saw a shortcut.

Advertisement