Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the one mile ever going to open again?

• 23-06-2009 4:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Sad looking place now, never drank in the place but would enjoy the grub, will it ever open? or will it join the hall of shame of towns extinct pubs, like Henry J's, Porter Stall, Grace Mc Carthys, Etc Etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I thought there was planning permission for a whole shopping centre type place (like Roselevin) but the money ran out or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Clareman wrote: »
    I thought there was planning permission for a whole shopping center type place (like Roselevin) but the money ran out or something
    Not surprised, they left the banks of the fergus in Clarecastle in a irreparable mess with an unfinished development. I blame backhanders and FF politicians for allowing this. Worst scenareo, the One mile can be turned back into a pub the other unfinished development is going to stick with us for drcades.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What I am about to say has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever.

The guy who used to run the One Mile took over a hotel in Kilmaley just as his lease on the place was about to expire, the people that owned it decided that they were going to do the place up anyway so didn't try too hard to get someone in to take it over, there were stories about massive rents being asked for a very short lease. Then the development stalled due to lack of funds, I heard that Howard Flannery was involved in the development but the poor man is being linked to every development in the county at this stage so I wouldn't hold much stock in that.

Personally I think the One Mile has great potential, not only is it in a highly populated area but it is also just off the by-pass with a big car park, which means there's great potential in passing trade, gone be with the days we used to go up there for a game of pitch and putt, in for a toastie, few pints and then some highly competitive pool

Clareman wrote: »
    What I am about to say has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever.

The guy who used to run the One Mile took over a hotel in Kilmaley just as his lease on the place was about to expire, the people that owned it decided that they were going to do the place up anyway so didn't try too hard to get someone in to take it over, there were stories about massive rents being asked for a very short lease. Then the development stalled due to lack of funds, I heard that Howard Flannery was involved in the development but the poor man is being linked to every development in the county at this stage so I wouldn't hold much stock in that.
    That is Martin you are on about, same guy ran Darcys Corner for years, Good to see him get back on his feet again with Magowna House. He also lost out with much of the local Biker scene over a row at Darcies a number of few years back. Looks as he has made up with them again. He his hosting the Banner MCC rally at Magowna House this September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Yeah I heard the same, Martin headed off to magowna because the lease was up and it was been developed. Thet couldnt get the planning and with martin gone its just left to rot.

A sign did go up saying under new management but nothing happened, but i did hear recently that the owners will consider any offer for leasing.

i would consider it myself but dont have the time, the function room there is and was a gold mine. You could have darts night, snooker, quiz, polish, etc. it could also be hired out for functions (many a good function i attended there!!) dance lessons etc as it has fantastic parking. And it was a great place for food! I tried looking for a private party place a while back with parking and had to get the eire og but would have loved the one mile.

The small bar itself really held its own with the locals etc. I can only dream!

maiden wrote: »
    Yeah I heard the same, Martin headed off to magowna because the lease was up and it was been developed. Thet couldnt get the planning and with martin gone its just left to rot.

A sign did go up saying under new management but nothing happened, but i did hear recently that the owners will consider any offer for leasing.

i would consider it myself but dont have the time, the function room there is and was a gold mine. You could have darts night, snooker, quiz, polish, etc. it could also be hired out for functions (many a good function i attended there!!) dance lessons etc as it has fantastic parking. And it was a great place for food! I tried looking for a private party place a while back with parking and had to get the eire og but would have loved the one mile.

The small bar itself really held its own with the locals etc. I can only dream!
    I believe the G & L community had recently an interest in the place as a venue, mind you it would be not bad for pulling off a rave.. :p

I would imagine that it would need a good cleaning at least at this stage, it seems to be fully boarded up now, but I agree, in the right hands it could make a fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Was a great spot,

Martin had the place very well after the disaster that was Gary Logue.

As far as I know, the Hogans of toyota fame bought the place with the intention of knocking it down, along with the esso garage which they already owned, and the old pitch and putt site for a big retail development. figures were massive, between 7 and 15 million was spent (allegedly) on the land....

Money that will never be recovered (though it'll probably find it's way onto the books at NAMA)

I think the whole project fell through because the area was deemed to be against the town development plan (in other words, the residents of the shanaway road had more influence than even the Hogans)

I think Tom Hogan owns the One Mile, I suppose there is no hope for it now!!

• Advertisement

maiden wrote: »
    I think Tom Hogan owns the One Mile, I suppose there is no hope for it now!!
    The banks would have the title of that place against the loan. We the tax payers are the ones that have bailed them out so in effect We own it now :D

brilliant!, we should go up there on sat night, take down the boards, give a clean, get a few kegs and away we go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭gailgo

its such a pity it was so handy to go in there and have a few pints , not the cleanest place in the world though

Advertisement