Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone hacked into my mates MSN and tried to scam me.

• 23-06-2009 5:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A "mate" from the UK contacted me last night on MSN telling me he got robbed abroad and was stuck for cash and could I transfer some funds to a said account in a hurry.

Being suspicious and before I made any enquiries I asked this guy a few simple questions, Ie what was the name of the local and the nearest tube station. He couldn't answer, I then told him the cops will be chasing up his IP address :D. (Probably Nigeria :rolleyes: )

Bast*rds would try anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I then told him the cops will be chasing up his IP address :D. (Probably Nigeria :rolleyes: )

A wild assumption, you might have the right continent alright, given the nature of the scam, but don't forget many of these things are based in tiny islands in the Pacific too, where they can be even harder to trace. I wouldn't be so sure it's Africa at all, let alone any particular African country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dude,

Do you not think this would be more suited to the security forum. At least there someone might give a rats ass.

Also, for a person who is obviously in the know about various conspiracies, I am very surprised to hear you using MSN messenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

MSN.
    Microsoft Secure Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Being suspicious and before I made any enquiries I asked this guy a few simple questions,

you?

suspicious?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Damn. I was so close, yet so far. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Some guy tried adding me as a friend on facebook from Nigeria. He wanted all my contact details so he could be my friend. Worst attempted identity theft ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Rabies wrote: »
    MSN.
    Microsoft Secure Network

A system is only as secure as it's dumbest end user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Are you sure your friend just wasn't sure of the area he was in.

There is a chance it was genuine and that you totally ignore your mate stranded in a foreign country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Quazzie wrote: »

There is a chance it was genuine and that you totally ignore your mate stranded in a foreign country.
    Not if he can't remember the name of the tube station and pub several hundred yards down the road from where he lived. :rolleyes:

Sorry I read your OP wrong. I thought you asked him the tube station and pub where he currently was(abroad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I know the feeling. I was out last night and this girl started chatting to me. Offered to buy me a drink. She then asked if we could go back to my place (to get my address no doubt!). Being wise I told her no, then she had the cheek of asking for my phone number! God damn scamming wimmins

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

You do not need to hack into someone's account to make it appear as though e-mails were sent from that account.

There are ways and means of sending emails from any email address and yes there are people out there who have the time to figure these things out. F*ckers. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

kingtut wrote: »
    There are ways and means of sending emails from any email address and yes there are people out there who have the time to figure these things out.

those magnificent bastards

I'd be more interested in getting a way to stop the bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

this happened to a british politician recently. Can't remember who, possibly Jack Straw. This type of vague anecdote is presumably why noone wants to go for a beer with me.

I'd be more interested in getting a way to stop the bastards

Unless you can come up with a way to make everyone less stupid, i think you're shit out of luck.

Unless you can come up with a way to make everyone less stupid, i think you're shit out of luck.
    I think Hitler had a plan but he went the wrong way about carrying it out.

I think Hitler had a plan but he went the wrong way about carrying it out.

Ohh that hitler, what a scallywag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A lot of this carry on is down to idiots forgetting to sign out of their MSN etc in net shops etc. The next guy comes in has a field day with his details.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hitler was just preempting the whole swan eating fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7908498.stm

UK Justice Secretary Jack Straw has been the victim of Nigerian fraudsters who sent out hundreds of e-mails in his name asking for money.
    The e-mails claimed he had lost his wallet on charity work in Africa and needed 3,500 US dollars to get home.
    Messages headed the Right Hon Jack Straw MP were sent to council bosses, government chiefs and others.
    The fraudsters are thought to have hacked into computers at Mr Straw's Blackburn constituency office.
    Mr Straw has confirmed the e-mails had been sent to a "significant number of people" in his address book but he said there were no security issues as it was his Blackburn e-mail address rather than his ministerial account that was targeted.
    He told his local newspaper the Lancashire Telegraph: "I started getting phone calls from various constituents asking if I was really in Nigeria needing 3,000 dollars.
    "It was an issue for constituents, not the government.

I would like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently to settle my hotel bills and get myself back home
    Fake email sent to Jack Straw's contacts
    "We are checking all that and I am assured there's no evidence that confidentiality of constituents was affected."
    When he was home secretary, Mr Straw established the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit to combat internet hackers.
    He said: "The internet is wonderful in many ways, but these gangs put a lot of effort in because they make money from it.
    "In a lot of cases they do get people to cough up.
    "But I think it was so obviously ridiculous that I could go off trekking in Africa and I would lose my wallet."
    'Misplaced wallet'
    The scam e-mail, which was sent to Labour members, council chiefs and Ministry of Justice officials, said Mr Straw was travelling to Africa for a project called Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, and was at an address in Nigeria's largest city, Lagos.
    Mr Straw is quoted as saying: "I misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money and other valuable things were kept.
    "I would like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently to settle my hotel bills and get myself back home".
    The scam came to light on Thursday when Mr Straw's office received an e-mail saying its account would be suspended unless a reply was sent.
    But when a member of staff replied, they were blocked out of the account.
    Constituents then began to phone Mr Straw's constituency office asking about the e-mail they had received.
    One is believed to have replied to the e-mail, but nobody has offered any money to the fraudsters.
    The Hotmail account was suspended by Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A "mate" from the UK contacted me last night on MSN telling me he got robbed abroad and was stuck for cash and could I transfer some funds to a said account in a hurry.

Being suspicious and before I made any enquiries I asked this guy a few simple questions, Ie what was the name of the local and the nearest tube station. He couldn't answer, I then told him the cops will be chasing up his IP address :D. (Probably Nigeria :rolleyes: )

I love the presumption the scammer is Nigerian or African.

Because we all know internet fraud doesnt occur in First World Countries only in Third World countries where they have superior education in IT and they can afford better scamming and internet technologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Hazys wrote: »

Because we all know internet fraud doesnt occur in First World Countries only in Third World countries where they have superior education in IT and they can afford better scamming and internet technologies.

Then why is my inbox full of people trying to get me to send money to Nigeria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

A lot of this carry on is down to idiots forgetting to sign out of their MSN etc in net shops etc. The next guy comes in has a field day with his details.

or baddies© installing keyloggers on the net cafe pcs

Jimbo wrote: »

http://www.fraud.org/internet/2007internet.pdf

Nigerian internet scams only account for 11% of scam claims in the US, although they are probably have their hand in all categories. But these statistics are only for people who got scammed and doesnt include statistics for identity fraud which costs hundreds of millions in the US which is a hell of a lot bigger crime.

A credit card i used to use only for internet purchases was used to buy two phones on O2.ie and a 15Euro bus eireann pass so thats probably not nigerians but someone living in Ireland (probably a nigerian living in Ireland no doubt:rolleyes:) who was able to hack into some poorly designed website i used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Of course it happens in First World Countries ......... mainly by Nigerians (who use 419-type scams) who live (claimed asylum) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Jimbo wrote: »

naw dont mind the e-mails from Trocra they dont count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The money is only resting in my bank account in Nigeria :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This type of thing happens in the poker community all the time. Especially AIM getting hacked.

Simply if things like this happen, get the person to ring you or you ring them, problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ah here we go we're all racists now. :rolleyes: The presumption is a pretty logical one since almost all these scams come from there. Has nothing to do with any issues people have with the country itself, if all these scams came from New Zealand then poor auld New Zealand would be on the receiving end of such accusations. Its pretty logical.

Quoting US statistics is meaningless also.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Ah here we go we're all racists now. :rolleyes: The presumption is a pretty logical one since almost all these scams come from there. Has nothing to do with any issues people have with the country itself, if all these scams came from New Zealand then poor auld New Zealand would be on the receiving end of such accusations. Its pretty logical.

Quoting US statistics is meaningless also.

Is it because said report shows your reasoning to be utter horseshit, or do you have a real reason?

Is it because said report shows your reasoning to be utter horseshit, or do you have a real reason?

Most Nigerian scammers target the UK & other EU countries. So I guess you've never heard of the Nigerian internet scammers before either and people are just inventing this stuff to be racist against Nigerians yeah? FFS:rolleyes:

Most Nigerian scammers target the UK & other EU countries. So I guess you've never heard of the Nigerian internet scammers before either and people are just inventing this stuff to be racist against Nigerians yeah? FFS:rolleyes:

Strawman much?

I'll make this easy, Hazys has shown actual imperical evidence of the origin of 419 scams, based on one of the largest countries in the world with very decent internet coverage, and you've stomped your foot and said "HURRR NO!".

I'm going with hazys on this one.

Right so all this talk of all these scams from Nigeria is just people being racist, yep?

Hazys stats would be relevant if this was a US board and we were all Americans having the same discussion and Run to da hills was american.

In Europe its perfectly reasonable to assume the type of scam the OP was on the receiving end of was of Nigerian origins.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    this happened to a british politician recently. Can't remember who, possibly Jack Straw. This type of vague anecdote is presumably why noone wants to go for a beer with me.

Wrong target audience TBH, tbh. ;) You should try it out at an AA meeting and then a quick offer of a pint will garner you loads of new drinking buddies.
    Wossack wrote: »
    baddies©

Love it. Got slagged in work one day for trying to join in a conversation with two of the lads. They were talking about some wrestler and i asked if he was he a goodie or a baddie. Got laughed out of it and was told to grow up. By two 28 year olds. Discussing wrestling. :pac:

Edit: almost forgot, Nigerians are scumbags :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Right so all this talk of all these scams from Nigeria is just people being racist, yep?

Hazys stats would be relevant if this was a US board and we were all Americans having the same discussion and Run to da hills was american.

In Europe its perfectly reasonable to assume the type of scam the OP was on the receiving end of was of Nigerian origins.

If anybody is being discriminated against its the irish criminals. Nobody seems to think they'd be able to pull off identity fraud through the internet and that they are only capable of low end criminality like pick pocketing.

Nigerian email scams are small in the world of identity fraud, scams and hacking. Its funny how somebody gets a few emails from Nigeria and takes an ignorant and simplestic view but probably has a virus guard to protect against the millions of virus', spyware, phishing scripts created by somebody to try and steal your credit card information and presumes that these 'hackers' are all nigerian.

Nope, it's people being lazy. But feel free to keep building those little strawmen, they're so adorable.

It's a large sample of the internet, which doesn't really recognise borders, especially when it comes to crime. But feel free to pretend otherwise.

Not really. It's lazy to assume so but it's in no way reasonable. It's kind of like assuming that everyone who kisses with tounge is from paris because it's called "french kissing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Nigerian email scams are small in the world of identity fraud, scams and hacking.

With hacking maybe, but you are completely wrong with regard to scams and identity fraud. I know because my studies on all aspects of 419 fraud was published. It originated in Nigeria, and still carried out by Nigerians to a large extent. By the way, people have been murdered as a result of these email scams so it is more than a monetary fraud.

When you use statistics of scams in the US to lessen the impact of these crimes; this is just a deflection technique. Most reasonably-thinking people would have to presume that the subject area being discussed is Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Very true. The poor dude could be getting rodgered senseless in a Turkish nick.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Papad wrote: »
    I know because my studies on all aspects of 419 fraud was published.

Any chance of a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Not if he can't remember the name of the tube station and pub several hundred yards down the road from where he lived. :rolleyes:

Hang on, how do we know this is really RTDH and someone hasn't nicked his boards account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

syklops wrote: »
    Dude,

Do you not think this would be more suited to the security forum. At least there someone might give a rats ass.

Also, for a person who is obviously in the know about various conspiracies, I am very surprised to hear you using MSN messenger.

to be fair MSN messenger is about 100 times more secure than its main competitor, AIM.

kingtut wrote: »
    You do not need to hack into someone's account to make it appear as though e-mails were sent from that account.

There are ways and means of sending emails from any email address and yes there are people out there who have the time to figure these things out. F*ckers. :mad:

I did that to some first years in college a few years ago. Sent them e-mails basically saying that their work was not satisfactory enough and that they may face expulsion and changed the 'from' address to make it look like our then Head of Department had sent it.

They were sh1tting bricks for weeks after.

Advertisement