Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who gets to replace the Governator?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:24am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With Arnie about to hit term limits, the Governator's time is over. Yet more options between 'poor' and 'bad'

On the Democrat side, we have:

Jerry Brown. Former governor, current State Attorney General (elected position). Relatively moderate, seems to have grown out of some of his more unique traits (which earned him the nickname "Governor Moonbeam".

Gavin Newsom. Current mayor of San Francisco (Elected position). Relatively popular in SF. Recent State-Wide poll showed him to be the least popular of all (then) seven possible candidates from both sides. He's just too far to the left, and too 'in your face' for universal appeal. The good news for him is that Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa pulled out today, citing a need to finish out his term as mayor (His low approval ratings, combined with another sex scandal last week may well have more to do with it) and reducing Gavin's opposition.

On the other hand, we have

Meg Whitman. Former President and CEO of E-Bay. Pretty much a RINO, supports abortion, same sex unions, dislikes guns. But, definitely the best looking of the candidates.

Steve Poizner. Current State Insurance Commissioner (elected position). Not a particularly public position, but more important in California than most States given the amount of insurance-related issues we can have here.

Thomas Campbell. Currently a laywer, but spent ten years in Congress. Relatively moderate, represented a heavily Democratic district in the Bay Area. Definitely not a base Conservative, his moral values tend to reflect the Democratic area he lives in, but his fiscal policies are decidedly conservative.

There are some other people lurking in the sidelines, but these are the big five. Of the lot, I'm leaning Brown (More likely) or Cambell (less likely) right now.

NTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Gavin Newsom. Current mayor of San Francisco (Elected position). Relatively popular in SF.
    Like 72% of the vote in 2007 relatively?

I kid, but I think the SF numbers could give him really important momentum. I didn't see that recent poll showing him to be unpopular. Maybe that's just due to lack of exposure? He'd certainly be my choice, if I was enfranchised in this particular election.
    Meg Whitman.
    LOLwut?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I kid, but I think the SF numbers could give him really important momentum. I didn't see that recent poll showing him to be unpopular. Maybe that's just due to lack of exposure? He'd certainly be my choice, if I was enfranchised in this particular election.

Did you see who he was running against? If he didn't get 74%, you'd be wondering why.

Newsom is pretty outspoken, most people in California know who he is, even if they don't know much about him other than his all but leading the gay marriage/anti-gun/anti-military camps, has had bouts with alcoholism and an affair.

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2009/6/22/la_mayor_antonio_villaraigosa_not_running.htm
    Ironically, of the three men it is Newsom whose public-approval ratings are lowest. The Los Angeles Times reported that a March Field Poll showed that, without U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein in the contest, Brown had the most support among the voters, with 25 percent, followed by Villaraigosa, with 22 percent and Newsom with 18 percent.

(DiFi was the clear leader at the time)
    LOLwut?

Well, why not? If actors can try, why not businesswomen?

NTM

Newsom is pretty outspoken, most people in California know who he is, even if they don't know much about him other than his all but leading the gay marriage/anti-gun/anti-military camps, has had bouts with alcoholism and an affair.

Probably ain't takin' 47th, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Jerry Brown. Former governor, current State Attorney General (elected position). Relatively moderate, seems to have grown out of some of his more unique traits (which earned him the nickname "Governor Moonbeam".

http://www.nardwuar.com/vs/jello_biafra/jello-2002_page-2.html
    And lastly, lastly, lastly Jello Biafra, in retrospect, was Governor Jerry Brown all that bad?
    Well, the ones that came after him certainly made him look good. He did do some good things...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Manic Moran...
    • Jerry Brown? Too many medflies!
    • Gavin Newsom? Not qualified? He resides in the northern State of Shasta.
    • Meg Whitman? Too many (t)horny issues with RINOs?
    • Steve Poizner? Comes from the same industry as AIG party animals?
    • Thomas Campbell? Disqualified being another State of Shasta resident.
    Naaaaaa, think again! You're missing someone. Maybe all those thoughts of wandering the mountainous desert seeking some mythical cave dwelling creature from the Bush years is affecting your view?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who the people that 'pulled the plug on who was it gray? and put arnold in 'charge' want?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Any chance of anyother "celeb" running? Tom Cruise/David Beckham perhaps?
    (This is a serious question)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

He'd get the chan vote anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Manic Moran...
    • Jerry Brown? Too many medflies!
    • Gavin Newsom? Not qualified? He resides in the northern State of Shasta.
    • Meg Whitman? Too many (t)horny issues with RINOs?
    • Steve Poizner? Comes from the same industry as AIG party animals?
    • Thomas Campbell? Disqualified being another State of Shasta resident.
    Naaaaaa, think again! You're missing someone. Maybe all those thoughts of wandering the mountainous desert seeking some mythical cave dwelling creature from the Bush years is affecting your view?;)

I saw a snippet the other day that said 30% of the nations welfare recipients were in California. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement