Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salad dressings

Options
  • 23-06-2009 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Everyone..

I need some new salada dressing's i dont do mayo or salad cream... :)

My current one
    is
    chillie
    garlic
    lemon juice
    blasamic
    olive oil
    pepper
    penut butter
    salt looking for some new exciting ones that tickle the taste bud's :)

any one got any good one's ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I like wholegrain mustard, honey, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

A nice easy one is just some fresh lime juice squeezed over with some black pepper.

Lemon, garlic and olive oil is also a nice simple combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Equal parts white wine vinegar & olive oil, a tsp of dijon mustard, a squeeze of lemon and a little salt & pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sometimes just (good) olive oil and salt & pepper is great.

Or lemon & pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

oil (olive, walnut, toasted sesame) and vinegar (balsamic, cider) plus some salt, pepper and fresh herbs, any you can get your hands on, is really nice, too, and dead simple. :) The herbs give it a really nice kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try an Chinese one.

Sunflower oil
    Sesame oil
    rice wine vinegar
    soy sauce
    ginger
    garlic
    little honey

Or Thai

Sunflower Oli
    Sesame Oil
    Lime Juice
    Sugar
    Fish Sauce
    Shallot
    Chili

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Freelancebeauty

vary your ratios - I'm keen on more acidic dressings so I have almost half acid (lemonjuice, balsamic white or red, strawberry or other fruit vinegar) and half oil (It doesn't always have to be olive!), throw in a different type of mustard or paste to help it bond and mess around with new herbs. If it's too acidic just put in a SMALL bit of sugar to balance. My new trick is to finely chop a clove of garlic and add it to the mix - that gives a lovely kick. Big fan of the black pepper and salt- put in the dressing to avoid crunching on it in the salad and wondering if it's a bug! (yes I'm a crazy person about clean food).
    I'm using torn up sundried tomatoes (bought in oil) to add a meaty effect to my salads too. Capers, olives and anchovies rock but can overpower everything.
    My main trick is make plenty of really strong dressing at a time but don't put too much on the salad - make it up in a glass bottle - shake and put in the fridge - it keeps for up to a week (in my humble non chef opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My all-purpose salad dressing,

Shallot or small onion finely diced
    Clove of garlic smashed and chopped
    Big dollop of dijon mustard
    Teaspoon of honey
    Salt and Pepper
    Squeeze of lemon juice.
    Few teaspoons of water.

I use a blend of sunflower and olive oil (about half/half)
    I usually use sherry vinegar and a dash of balsamic but white/red wine is fine - sometimes I use 3 different vinegars.
    My oil vinegar ratio is almost 50:50 but probably a bit more oil than vinegar (the sweetness of the honey allows more vinegar)
    I make it up in a 33cl bottle.
    Shake like mad.

Taste it and adjust to your liking.
    I keep it in the fridge for weeks on end without ill effects.

This is the dressing we use on a daily basis and everyone loves it.

NEVER buy salad dressing!!!!!!!
    All horrible, bar none!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you really dont like mayo you should try to make your own. See if that changes your mindset.
    Stick blend one egg into a cup of olive oil.
    Add lemon or chive or whatever to taste. Bish bash bosh, top mayo. Good mayo. I know you don't "do" mayo OP but try making it yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dont use olive oil for mayo, its vile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Seaneh wrote: »
    Dont use olive oil for mayo, its vile...

What kind of oil should be used then?

• Advertisement

Something with a lot less flavour, I use rape seed oil, soya bean oil, pea nut oil or cold pressed sunflower oil.

Olive oil just doesnt work well with the lemon, vinegar mustard and salt and pepper along with the egg yolk and over powers everything, it's just rank IMHO.

Any light, thin, subtly flavoured oil is fine but olive oil just destroys it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Seaneh wrote: »
    Something with a lot less flavour, I use rape seed oil, soya bean oil, pea nut oil or cold pressed sunflower oil.

Olive oil just doesnt work well with the lemon, vinegar mustard and salt and pepper along with the egg yolk and over powers everything, it's just rank IMHO.

Any light, thin, subtly flavoured oil is fine but olive oil just destroys it.

It does taste better with those oils but you got to hit up the mild and light olive oil. It's pretty flavourless and the health aspects are better.

If anyone has a recipe for Baconnaise I'd love one.

I just don't like that fruity taste form olive oil in mayo.

Maybe im wrong, maybe its a totally personal thing, but I think it's puke inducing!

Lighter olive oils would be fine, like later press but virgin or extra virgin kills it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

I tried making mayo with olive oil and was horrified with the result. Apparently overbeating olive oil makes it bitter.

Boy was it bitter!!!

Now I just use sunflower oil to make mayo.

Another easy dressing:

Lemon juice
    Olive oil
    White wine vinegar
    Fresh oregano
    Sea salt
    Cracked black pepper
    Lemon rind

Advertisement