Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance/nct "discs"....

• 23-06-2009 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Any legal posters out there...?

Ok you'll say i have wayyy too much time on my hands but this scenario has been hanging around in my head since they came compulsary to display.....

I'm stopped at a tax check and the Garda asks why i dont have a insurance and nct disc displayed..just a tax disc...I say i dont have either BUT i do have the relevant certs to cover the vehicle...
    Again he asks why i dont have the discs displayed and i repeat that i dont have any discs.....

Can anyone see the problem here....;)

btw this isnt a joke imo.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Sids Not wrote: »
    Any legal posters out there...?

Ok you'll say i have wayyy too much time on my hands but this scenario has been hanging around in my head since they came compulsary to display.....

I'm stopped at a tax check and the Garda asks why i dont have a insurance and nct disc displayed..just a tax disc...I say i dont have either BUT i do have the relevant certs to cover the vehicle...
    Again he asks why i dont have the discs displayed and i repeat that i dont have any discs.....

Can anyone see the problem here....;)

btw this isnt a joke imo.....

The problem is you're not displaying the discs even though you know it's compulsary to.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

robbie99 wrote: »
    The problem is you're not displaying the discs even though you know it's compulsary to.

Yes but as the tax "disc" is not actually a disc by definition, technically you should be in the right, right? Unfortunately things are not always as simple as they seem! :pac:

- Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

A disc is a phonograph record, a disk is a round shaped object (according to dictionary.com :pac:). Maybe the insurance and NCT discs are just a fancy design of the disk like business card CD's shaped to be rectangular http://businesscards24.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/cd-business-card.jpg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

as far as I am aware the law of the land requires you to display your tax and insurance disks.

Obviously you were not compliant with the actual law and therefore the guards would be in the right to prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Anybody else think these so called "disks" take up way too much real estate on the windscreen? On some small cars can limit the view quite a bit.
    How hard would it be to set up a barcode system with all the relivant details on it.

At a checkpoint the Garda simply scans said barcode on the windscreen and can get an instant read out on Tax, Insurance, NCT etc.

Or, another option would be to add the tax, insurance, nct certs to the numberplate.

Just my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I think if you dont have insurance for the vehicle, they can prosecute you for 1) not having the appropriate insurance for the vehicle and 2) failure to display.

Could you just keep the cert in the vehicle until such time as you get another one from the insurance co. How did you manage to lose it in the 1st place. Its not as if you have to take it out of the car that often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You should not have any problem for not displaying the insurance disc. A courtesy of 10 days to produce has been in operation since day one, given that insurers cannot always get documentation to their clients immediately, such as when a car has been substituted or if cover was purchased online.

The strict interpretation has never been enforced in my experience. I don't know about the tax disc though. I usually leave mine to the last minute and renew on line. It takes a few days to come in the post but I carry the confirmation slip with me in the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The Op had a tax disc displayed.

I must agree that square or rectangular pieces of paper cannot be normally described as a disc but I suspect that legally the shape of the "mini certificate intended for windscreen display" is not relevant.

Put up the 4 sided disc and stop causing trouble for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here ya's go.

(2) The insurance disc shall be carried in a conspicuous position on the windscreen of the vehicle in such manner that it shall be both visible and readily accessible for inspection and be so located that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven or in the case of a vehicle not fitted with a windscreen in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle.

From

Dems laws

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/si/0227.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Further to that

(5) A member of the Garda Síochána may arrest without warrant—

( a ) a person who pursuant to this section produces a certificate but refuses or fails to permit the member to read and examine it, or

( b ) a person who, when his name and address is demanded of him by the member under this section, refuses or fails to give his name and address or gives a name or address which the member has reasonable grounds for believing to be false or misleading.

From

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0019.html#zza24y1961s19

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Here ya's go.

(2) The insurance disc shall be carried in a conspicuous position on the windscreen of the vehicle in such manner that it shall be both visible and readily accessible for inspection and be so located that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven or in the case of a vehicle not fitted with a windscreen in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle.

From

Dems laws

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/si/0227.html

LOL:D. Imagine the check point senario:

Garda: Good Evenin'
    Me: Hello Mr. Garda Sir
    Garda: Do you know you have no Tax, Insurance or NCT Discs displayed on your Ve-hecal?
    Me: Yes I do, but I have them here in the glove box. (Note in the USA reaching for your glove box WILL get you shot.)
    Garda: Thats fine but, you are required by law to display the disks on the windscreen.
    Me: The were obstructing my view so in accordance to
    ROAD TRAFFIC (INSURANCE DISC) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1986.
    section 5 paragraph 2 I removed them.
    Garda: ???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

YraggarY wrote: »
    Yes but as the tax "disc" is not actually a disc by definition, technically you should be in the right, right? Unfortunately things are not always as simple as they seem! :pac:

- Gary

We make our own laws and definitions!

4. (1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

(2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side.

(3) Every insurance disc shall be in the form in the Schedule hereto and shall state the particulars of insurance which are required in the said form to be specified together with the month and year of expiry expressed numerically.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0355.html#zzsi355y1984

Are they spelling disk wrong or is it correct in English (Irish) English? :P

There is no k in disc. Disk is an incorrect spelling, probably US / Computer industry dervived.

Oh yeah, chambers.co.uk dictionary is showing up different to dictionary.com :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Thanx for the replies guys..all very well thought out..It was the description of the word "disc" that i was getting at....a round thin item containing information...Wonder would it stand up in court ..:rolleyes:

BTW ..it was just a thought i always have my "certificate receipts " displayed...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, disk with a K in the computer industry refers to a magnetic disk, such as a floppy or hard disk. Disc with a C refers to an optical disk, like a CD or DVD.

Whereas disc in Ireland means square or circular piece of paper :pac:

Stephen wrote: »
    Yeah, disk with a K in the computer industry refers to a magnetic disk, such as a floppy or hard disk. Disc with a C refers to an optical disk, like a CD or DVD.
    If only we had a Linguistics & Etymology forum where we could discuss these things.

<---- *Cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Hagar wrote: »
    If only we had a Linguistics & Etymology forum where we could discuss these things.

<---- *Cough*

You mean where you could like learn people to talk proper..with proper words n'all..:D

Yup, an' udder tings like dat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Twin-go wrote: »
    LOL:D. Imagine the check point senario:

Garda: Good Evenin'
    Me: Hello Mr. Garda Sir
    Garda: Do you know you have no Tax, Insurance or NCT Discs displayed on your Ve-hecal?
    Me: Yes I do, but I have them here in the glove box. (Note in the USA reaching for your glove box WILL get you shot.)
    Garda: Thats fine but, you are required by law to display the disks on the windscreen.
    Me: The were obstructing my view so in accordance to
    ROAD TRAFFIC (INSURANCE DISC) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1986.
    section 5 paragraph 2 I removed them.
    Garda: ???????

Garda: So, why don't you have them conspicuously displayed on the near side of your veh-eh-cal in accordance with that same section and paragraph?
    You: aahhhhhhhh
    Garda: Here's a €60 fine for non display of your insurance, another fine for non display of your NCT, and just let me check your tyre treads and all of your bulbs. (looks around the car mumbling "foglights on a clear evening, that'll be another €€€, all because he wants to be the smart b*^&$£d")

Fey! wrote: »
    Garda: So, why don't you have them conspicuously displayed on the near side of your veh-eh-cal in accordance with that same section and paragraph?
    You: aahhhhhhhh
    Garda: Here's a €60 fine for non display of your insurance, another fine for non display of your NCT, and just let me check your tyre treads and all of your bulbs. (looks around the car mumbling "foglights on a clear evening, that'll be another €€€, all because he wants to be the smart b*^&$£d")

Me: Because that only applies where there is no windscreen. I have a windscreen.
    Garda Fey!: aaaammmmmmm!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sids Not wrote: »
    Thanx for the replies guys..all very well thought out..It was the description of the word "disc" that i was getting at....a round thin item containing information...Wonder would it stand up in court ..:rolleyes:

Looks like they have this covered in the definition below:
    robbie99 wrote: »
    4. (1) Every insurance disc shall be in the shape of a rectangle which when it is exhibited on a vehicle, shall have a horizontal measurement of not less than 85mm and not more than 95mm and a vertical measurement of not less than 70mm and not more than 80mm.

Anyhoo..... if you check the charter, you'll find that we're discouraging discussions of "how do I get away with this?".
    In the spirit of the charter, and because I think we've learned about all that we can learn about the display of tax & insurance discs, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement