Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc not posting :(

Options
  • 23-06-2009 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭

I have a 3-4 year old self build that I was using as my main pc and it is no longer turning on.

It was slightly OC so that could have done the damage. The mobo is a asus a8n-sli and the cpu is a Amd 3800

I press the power button, fans and lights turn on but it never goes any further (when the pc was working it used to beep after a second or two, its no longer doing this)

Have two sticks of ram, tried different combinations of them, none of them an it doesnt change what it does

Tried re sitting the GPU, didnt change anything (will try a different GPU this evening)

Tried taking out the cmos battery and nothing

It seems to me that its either the mobo is faulty or the CPU is fried? Any way I can figure out better which it is? I dont have a diffrent 939 processor to test (hardly anyone in the midlands who would have the lend of one? :) ). Would love if it wasn't the mobo as the pc is pretty good for 360 and regular xbox modding.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Check all the motherboard connections, to things like USB controllers, sometimes they can short and screw up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Is there any display on your monitor?

If no then it is most likely a BIOS issue with your graphics card.

Did you leave the cmos battery out for more than 15 minutes. I had a similar issue with a similar MOBO. Asus A8NE and by removing the battery i was able to reset the BIOS and get past POST.

There is also a CMOS jumper on the MOBO that has three pins. It should be set at pin 1 and 2. If you remove it and stick it on pin 2 and 3 for a couple of seconds it will also reset the BIOS.

Then download the BIOS as an image and boot the machine with this image. You will be installing a new BIOS. Takes a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thanks for the replies guys.

I think i did leave the cmos out for a good while, i know the jumpers your talking about so I'll just do it that way when i get home

I'll remove everthing bar cpu , gpu and ram this evening and see how i get on.

I was playing with it a small bit it at home at lunch, not quite sure what i did but it started to try turn on again and (You can tell by the noises the fan makes if its trying to turn on) I was getting some beeps a little like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-xx-xx-xx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xx-xx-xx

xxs symbolying the lent of the beep and the above was repating. I only had one stick of ram in and it was in the wrong place. I turned off the pc and put in the other stick. Turned it on and was still gettign the beeps. Turned it off and plugged in a keboard and a monitor and it stopped beeping. And i cant get it to beep again. Im pretty confused tbh :/

I ordered a Pci trouble shooting card off dealextreme so if my girlfriends pc can flash xboxs then I'll be in no rush to get this one working and i can see if that thing will tell me anything. Hers is a MSI nforce 500, which afaik is a type of nforce 4 which my pc is so it should flash them ok I'll find out this evening though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey all,

I some how got the pc to start posting again last night.

I did plenty of things last night like swapping ram around , doing the cmos jumpers , removing all non esential connection, but none of them seemed to be the direct cause of the pc not booting as the problem didnt go away directly after

This will sound wierd but the last thing i did was plug out the fan on the north bridge and leave the computer on for a few mins, then the next time i started it it was making the beeping noise corresponding to the north bridge fan not working. Turned it off and plugged it back in and we were away !?

So the pc was then loading windows, but there is something wrong with it after a few minutes the screen would just go blank, not unlike how the old tellies used to turn off . I swapped out the GFX to see if it helped at all but did get a chance to test it out at all, but I was at the pc longer than it was staying on before.

its no longer oc'd

I guess the fact its truning on at all rules out the cpu?

Advertisement