Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil change South Dublin

• 23-06-2009 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi;

Where's the best place to get an oil change in South Dublin? I was thinking Kwik-Fit but not sure if i'd trust them to put decent oil in. Also, how much should I expect to pay?

I drive a MkII Focus 1.6l petrol.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy the oil yourself then. 10 minute job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Buy the oil yourself then. 10 minute job.

I had considered that but having never done it before I thought best not to. Is there a website with instructions by any chance? I know it's going to be a screw plug under the car but I'd prefer to know what I'm doing just in case :)

Also what about the oil filter? Can you buy them in the likes of Halfords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

VolvoBoy has a good thread here that should help you along your way.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

You could get a filter in Halfords, probably cheaper in a local motor factors. Personally I'd go to a dealer & get a genuine filter - quality you can trust for an extra couple of quid.
    Google "oil change focus" & I'm sure you'll find exactly what you need. It really is a doddle - just be prepared for the oil to drain fast & go everywhere. A large plastic tray for stray oil is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Make sure you dont climb under you car on a sh1tty scissors jack. Use a decent jack and then put axle stands under the car at a solid point, that wont crumple under the weight of the car (eg subframe).

Dont forgot you also need to dispose of the waste oil at a recycling centre.

• Advertisement

OK thanks guys I'm going to give it a shot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Windsor Bray have an offer on at the mo, I was just quoted €139 for a small service (oil change), mini valet and courtesy car! Can't beat that.

Not affiliated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Windsor Bray have an offer on at the mo, I was just quoted €139 for a small service (oil change), mini valet and courtesy car! Can't beat that.
    Not affiliated.

If they done the oil change in 10 mins like they should, you could just wait and no courtesy car required and you'd be on your way... ;)

To the op, pick up a Haynes manual for your car (not the best manual available, but would be grand for the basics ), well worth the money.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Service-Repair-Manual-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1859607594

You probably don't have to jack your car up, as its front wheel drive the sump nut should be accessible if you just look under the front bumper...

Make sure to have an old basin to empty the oil into. Then have an old container & funnel ready to pour the basin into.

Once you do it once you'll never look back. My last oil change cost €24 for oil and filter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Just to say don't get under car if its just held up by jack. Taking off oil filter can require a fair bit of force which could easily knock car off jacks. Use axle stands.

That said you there is a good chance you won't need to lift up car at all, just crawl under. Could also park well up on a kerb.

As well as a basin or whatever you're using to catch oil, lay out newspaper on the ground, it'll catch any drips or spills, stop your driveway from being stained.
    To the op, pick up a Haynes manual for your car (not the best manual available, but would be grand for the basics ),

Just wondering about this I thought Haynes were considered to be the bees knees. Are there better manuals out there. I know there are the official service manuals but they're pretty hard to get hold of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭budhabob

voxpop wrote: »
    Make sure you dont climb under you car on a sh1tty scissors jack. Use a decent jack and then put axle stands under the car at a solid point, that wont crumple under the weight of the car (eg subframe).

Dont forgot you also need to dispose of the waste oil at a recycling centre.

Wheres the cheapest place to get axle stands and trolley jack? Used to borrow a friends one, but he's off in thailand. This also meant i never bothered with the aldi/lidl offers, and now i'm without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

gillo_100 wrote: »

Just wondering about this I thought Haynes were considered to be the bees knees. Are there better manuals out there. I know there are the official service manuals but they're pretty hard to get hold of.

Ummm haynes are fine for €20, do give a good overview and go from the basics up. For example for most BMWs the bently manuals are better. Also "some" people would by the data CD's off ebay for a few euro...

I've learnt a lot from haynes manuals over the past 10 years, up to and including striping the head off a car after the timing belt snapped and putting it back on with a new HG.

I would always have a haynes manual for any car i own, even if its just to figure out how much oil / coolant you need to do a change etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

budhabob wrote: »
    Wheres the cheapest place to get axle stands and trolley jack? Used to borrow a friends one, but he's off in thailand. This also meant i never bothered with the aldi/lidl offers, and now i'm without.

Trolley jack from argos €38 might get one cheaper (aldi/lidl) no offers atm.

Axel stands & wheel chocks from agros €20 a bargin. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hal1 wrote: »

Excellent stuff, thanks very much

No bother, and oil change is easy. Now go get your hands dirty! :p

To the op, pick up a Haynes manual for your car (not the best manual available, but would be grand for the basics ), well worth the money.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Service-Repair-Manual-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1859607594
    Last time I checked they hadn't released a manual for the MKII (2005 model). That was a while ago though, I'll check again.

I have a pebbled driveway so jacking the car up or using an axle stand is not an option for me :( Hopefully I can get under the car without any support.

EDit: Actually I can just sweep away the pebbles and use the concrete underneath as a base....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I bought my axel stands from Halfords, can't remember the price but it was reasonable.

Also, worth nothing, when replacing the oil filter don't use the wrench/filter grips thingy to tighten it, just tighten it by hand as the heat will tighten it further.

20goto10 wrote: »
    I have a pebbled driveway so jacking the car up or using an axle stand is not an option for me :( Hopefully I can get under the car without any support.

EDit: Actually I can just sweep away the pebbles and use the concrete underneath as a base....

Put a piece of plywood etc under each of the axle stands / trollyjack. It will be balanced fine that way.

Am I right in assuming you need 2 trolley jacks? Or can prop one side up on an axle stand before doing the other? Sounds like it could cause a bit of stress or damage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Put a piece of plywood etc under each of the axle stands / trollyjack. It will be balanced fine that way.

Careful, plywood can easily break under the weight and can give you a hell of a fright if under the car, I would move the car to a flat, concrete surface.

20goto10 wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming you need 2 trolley jacks? Or can prop one side up on an axle stand before doing the other? Sounds like it could cause a bit of stress or damage...

That would be the way (not 2 trolley jacks). Plywood might not be the best option, I've used it before no problem but do so at your own risk! :)

• Advertisement

I've just been to Halfords to look at their jacks and stands. They have car ramps which I think they might be better suited to a pebbled drive way. I can't really bring the car out onto the road if I make a mess I'll have the neighbours on my case! Not to mention the danger of cars driving past.

I've just been under the car without the use of jacks, I can see the oil filter but can't see the sump nut. I'm guessing its on the other side just out of reach :( I could probably fit all the way under but I got a bit claustrophobic :o

Advertisement