Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Australia?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Came to Australia last week and was looking around for a decent gym to join. I went into a couple of gyms and asked for some sort of leaflet with membership prices on it but apparently over here they don't have that. You need to be "consulted" by a personal trainer first, then he/she gives you the membership price.

I thought it was a bit pointless scene as I have no interest in having a personal trainer but I had to fill out this pointless questionnaire about my lifestyle before I could even get a price out of him! When I finally got a price out of him I said ill think about it and ever since they've been calling me and haunting me about it!

It also seems like their on commission or something, trying to sell you the membership saying stuff like: "You wont get a better offer", "Its the best gym in town". Are they Personal Trainers or Sales Consultants??

All I want is a gym where you walk in, pay your €600 for the year (Or whatever the going rate is over here) and thats the end of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Which city/town?

It's a big country, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Boca wrote: »
    Which city/town?

looks like hes in kilkenny to me :rolleyes:

Seriously though that sounds like fitness 1st, all sales geared. Same as Ben Dunne, Jacki Skelly and any other gym i have attended in Dublin, at home, no different.

Just give a fake phone number next time....its industy standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Boca wrote: »
    Which city/town?

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Brisbane, most of the gyms over here are chain run anyway so prob wouldnt matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Don't know Brissy so well so can't help much.

In general avoid Fitness First etc... Most footy clubs have decent facilities, swimming-pools too, so they'd be better options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Brisbane, most of the gyms over here are chain run anyway so prob wouldnt matter where you are.

If you are not tied to a lease move into an apartment complex with a gym...almost all of them in the city have a free gym and pool...we have a sweet little little combo but when we were looking at apartments all of them had pretty decent gyms (some better free weights than others and sadly the only thing lacking from ours)

• Advertisement
Advertisement