Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn closing?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just heard from a friend that Superquinn in Portlaoise is closing in August/September?

Anyone know if this is true? I know they can't be doing all that much business since the apartments etc never filled in. It never seems that full when I go in. I'll miss that bakery though :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I wonder, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised though. If this does happen that's the end of that development. I love the idea of a nice supermarket like Superquinn in Portlaoise but I just don't believe there is sufficient demand for all the supermarkets, mini-markets and convenience stores the town now has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

fona wrote: »
    Just heard from a friend that Superquinn in Portlaoise is closing in August/September?

Anyone know if this is true? I know they can't be doing all that much business since the apartments etc never filled in. It never seems that full when I go in. I'll miss that bakery though :(
    OP i wouldnt beleive everything you hear. i have heard its closing every month for the last few months. Its almost becoming an urban myth in Portlaoise now!

Everytime i go in its busy, not jammed mind you but busy. Kept going as much as all the other small supermarkets are so id guess waituntil you see the shutters go down for good and then you'l know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

stevoman wrote: »
    OP i wouldnt beleive everything you hear. i have heard its closing every month for the last few months. Its almost becoming an urban myth in Portlaoise now!

Everytime i go in its busy, not jammed mind you but busy. Kept going as much as all the other small supermarkets are so id guess waituntil you see the shutters go down for good and then you'l know. ;)

Agree

Have heard many stories, latest one is the staff were told unless business picks up by August they are closing.
    Anyone here that confirm or deny?
    Apparently superquinn have a five year rent free agreement up there aswell.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

If it closes I'll be gutted, i'm right around the corner and it's very handy for the 5 to 10 beer run.

I would have thought the chemist opening was as good sign and would increase the "foot fall" and give Superquinn more customers.

Joe Dunne
    http://bujinkanportlaoise.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Having lived in Dublin for 10 years i was spoiled with Superquinn.

When it opened down here i was well chuffed. The meat, the bread, the veg its all so fresh and great quality.

I also find the customer service so good and they are always glad to help customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

I hope its not

It's annoyingly far to walk though. The Tesco and Dunnes and Lidl (and, potentially the future Aldi, if it ever happens) are all 10 minutes or so walk from my house - the superquinn is at least 20.

If I drove I'd be there a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Yeah i heard today from a former superquinn worker that they are closing in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

It's a pity alright. I heard back in March it was closing and thought by now things had picked up. I find it very handy as there's always lots of parking. problem with it is that I go in to grab one thing and come out with around 3 bags full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Dont any of ye guys read the Leinster Express. a few months back it reported that the builder who built the complex, Paddy Kelly I think, owed the banks millions and the banks now have some sort of a hold on the complex. Even the new owners of the apartments who have paid in full have not been allowed to move in. This may have a lot to do with SuperQuinn closing.

Would that not be a little short sighted of the bank?

Why would they allow the chemist to open if the center itself was doomed?

I was in Superquinn at the weekend and it was actually busy. Not Tesco's busy but definitely doing better.

Joe Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Dont any of ye guys read the Leinster Express. a few months back it reported that the builder who built the complex, Paddy Kelly I think, owed the banks millions and the banks now have some sort of a hold on the complex. Even the new owners of the apartments who have paid in full have not been allowed to move in. This may have a lot to do with SuperQuinn closing.

There are people living in some of the apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pnd82

I heard superquinn were operating with a peppercorn rent for first 5 years, so i doubt they would pull ou that fast. Big companies often get offered units for peppercorn rents to entice them into areas they would not consider under normal circumstances. I believe this to be the case here. Maybe the banks or whoever is calling the shots are not happy with superquinn getting a free unit.

Peppercorn Rent

I can't be the only one who had to look that up, can I?

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

joe_dunne wrote: »
    Peppercorn Rent

I can't be the only one who had to look that up, can I?

Joe

Yep :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paskill

Nah Superquinn aren't closing, the other day I was in my mates house, his brother was staying the week, he's a manager for Superquinn up in Dublin, he said he had met with the Portlaoise manager, and he said they're doing great, so maybe Superquinn will stay, I hope they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I wouldn't listen to any of the "closing" rumors.

When Dundrum s.c. opened, the stories going around about shops closing, centre not doing well, dunnes taking over House of Fraser etc etc were doing the rounds. Dundrum is one of the busiest shoping centres in UK / Irealnd.

Same with SQ in portlaoise - it takes about 2 years for a supermarket to build up its business. SQ will always be in portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and asked a staff member if they were closing, they're definitely not :)

Advertisement