Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Lodge Closed Down

Options
  • 23-06-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Headed around to the Racing Lodge in Doughiska last night for a pint, only to find the place all shut up, the gate fenced off and signs up saying the poker night was moved to another venue due to the sudden closure. Anyone know what happened? Didn't think they were in that much trouble, place did a good lunch and evening food trade.
    Pain in the arse, only pub within walking distance of the house... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

twas always full of the roughest sort when I went the couple times I did to use the loo

won't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What exactly do you mean by the roughest sort?
    I've been in there loads of times since I moved to the area and never ever seen any kind of aggro. Was quite handy having a pub so close that did good food and showed live sport... I've seen far more "rough sorts" and aggro in some of the most popular pubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah but I wouldn't miss some of the pubs in town either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Ah that's a shame.. I was going to go there for lunch today. Argh! Their food was so much nicer than the clayton.. and cheaper too. I do know that new people took it over a while back and honestly they hadn't a clue. That place used to have a Cheltenham preview night every year for the Cheltenham festival... and when I asked them when the one was on this year (back in Feb) they looked at me blankly and never bothered having one. This annoyed alot of patrons.

And their service level and quality of pints went way down hill too. I'm not surprised, but a bit disappointed because I liked their lunch menu.

I just heard it's re-opening under new management. No idea when this will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It was run by Val Hanley's brother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sgthighway wrote: »

:eek: . No wonder it was popular :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Londis closed today too ?
    The whole area is shutting up shop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

sgthighway wrote: »

Thought it was owned by one of the big property developers who seems to be in mucho trouble money wise with a few banks... not going to say who just in case.

The Londis closed today too ?
    The whole area is shutting up shop :(

Noticed that as well. Tbh it never stood a chance once Dunnes and Lidl opened, and Centra was in a much better location for most residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

kayos wrote: »
    Thought it was owned by one of the big property developers who seems to be in mucho trouble money wise with a few banks... not going to say who just in case.
    Correct but Ollie had the lease on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

Place was open on Monday the 15th but shut the following morning (Tuesday), without much notice to either staff or punters from what I heard.

Food was decent compared to Clayton alright but not somewhere I spent a lot of time.

On another pub-related East-side issue, the Lantern is supposedly due to reopen in the next month or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Lantern

:eek: The Lantern :eek:

Here's hoping it gets a late licence and keeps the 'pressure' off Eyre Square at 3am .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Racing Lodge are advertising for cleaners, waiters and bar staff on the FAS site today.

Guess they'll be re-opening again soon, with cheaper staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I got pasta in there one day, it was probably one of the worst things I've ever eaten out. Having said that, I don't like to hear that places are closing down.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    :eek: The Lantern :eek:

Here's hoping it gets a late licence and keeps the 'pressure' off Eyre Square at 3am .

Jesus. Can you imagine the Lantern if it had a late licence? Its not bouncers you'd need, its mercenaries! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I didn't even know this place still existed.

Wandered in there once, in my foreign exchange student youth, gazillion years ago - and walked straight back out again...scary, scary place.

Does that dodgy pub next to the Supermacs near Merlin hospital still exist?

And, on that topic, whatever happened to the Corrib Great Southern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

galah wrote: »

Wandered in there once, in my foreign exchange student youth, gazillion years ago - and walked straight back out again...scary, scary place.

Ya its still open. Its been kinda done up lately, not too bad.
    Real mans pub though.:)
    I think the Corrib just was'nt getting the business, simple as

Ya its still open. Its been kinda done up lately, not too bad.
    Real mans pub though.:)
    I think the Corrib just was'nt getting the business, simple as

Savage Guinness in there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

JustMary wrote: »
    Racing Lodge are advertising for cleaners, waiters and bar staff on the FAS site today.

Guess they'll be re-opening again soon, with cheaper staff.
    That'll be for the second time, I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The one beside Supers is the Merlin. Very popular these days. Has been done up. Busy every day. Val Hanley's brother has the lease on it. Their off license is expensive though.

And the Corrib was bought by Gerry Barrett a couple of years ago with the stipulation that he would keep it open for one year so that long term staff could sort out their futures. That year passed sometime last year. He's wanting to build apartments and a small commerical centre with shops in it. But something in the planning stage is holding it up. That, or a lack of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

On another pub-related East-side issue, the Lantern is supposedly due to reopen in the next month or so.
    The Lantern??? From having seen it when passing by every so often I got the impression that it had been condemned, not "closed".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh, are you thinking the same Racing Lodge I am, 1/2 way up Doughiksa Rd, two/three story building, newish and purpose built? (Not Eastwoods or whatever it was, further up the road in what looks like it was a row of warehouse/shed type buildings.)

I know some locals who go (went!) to the RL sometimes, very nice sedate middle-class people, not at all scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

kayos wrote: »

Yep, the building is.

Advertisement