Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonfire night - anything for burning?

• 23-06-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭

So its June the 23rd, St. John's Eve aka Bonfire Night (the real one not to be confused with its b*stard offspring at Halloween).

Weather is looking good, the neighbours have been collecting so the craic will be mighty later on.

Its a great opportunity to get rid of that old mattress or whatever.

So what do you reckon would be the best item to get rid off within the depths of a good auld fashioned bonfire, no questions asked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have a few loads of threads on Boards that should be incinerated. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

We used to cut the whin bushes from April, all those thorns.... Ouch. Headed off with the axe and saw in groups of fives or tes. There was loads of us. Now there's a handful of kids and their parents do most of the collecting on the day.

When i think back to the work we put in, for one night, and the year some fecker set it alight the night before :eek:, well, we were hysterical.

Bah humbug, it's not like it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Would a good old fashioned backyard burn be legal on this night? I've a tonne of stuff in my house I'd love to give a good old burning to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I thought you were on about the 11th night, sorry.
    Looking at the bonfire near where I live, the whole city will be for burning.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

MayoForSam wrote: »
    So its June the 23rd, St. John's Eve aka Bonfire Night (the real one not to be confused with its b*stard offspring at Halloween).

Weather is looking good, the neighbours have been collecting so the craic will be mighty later on.

Its a great opportunity to get rid of that old mattress or whatever.

So what do you reckon would be the best item to get rid off within the depths of a good auld fashioned bonfire, no questions asked?

John O' Mahoney for your username to come true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

John O' Mahoney for your username to come true.

How about the Kerry/Tyrone/Cork county panels? Not too bothered about Galway or the Dubs ;).

I remember one bonfire night years ago we discovered that throwing in large chunks of asbestos roof sheeting ('salvaged' from the local mart) into the middle of the bonfire resulted in a very satisfying explosion after a few minutes. Ah, the innocence of it all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

themadchef wrote: »
    We used to cut the whin bushes from April, all those thorns.... Ouch. Headed off with the axe and saw in groups of fives or tes. There was loads of us. Now there's a handful of kids and their parents do most of the collecting on the day.

When i think back to the work we put in, for one night, and the year some fecker set it alight the night before :eek:, well, we were hysterical.

Bah humbug, it's not like it used to be.
    Heh.
    I remember going around Leixlip one halloween with my friend and setting light to all the bonfires between the hours of 10am and 1pm. That was back before the townsfolk decided they were too posh for bonfires. Early 90's I believe it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Would a good old fashioned backyard burn be legal on this night?

No!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

It's that time of the year again, where you can get rid of all the shíte you don't need and chuck it into a big fire. Gotta love it, I think our shed needs a cleaning..

I've always wondered, what do foreigners think when they arrive in Ireland and see fires everywhere?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

think its done in europe too... was in spain one time they had a massive piss up

• Advertisement

oisinmc14 wrote: »
    think its done in europe too... was in spain one time they had a massive piss up

The tradition doesn't change much then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Isnt that traditionally october?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I've always wondered, what do foreigners think when they arrive in Ireland and see fires everywhere?:cool:

They think we're cooking swans

Grimes wrote: »
    Isnt that traditionally october?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s_Eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MayoForSam wrote: »

Why link to your own thread in your own thread? That's insanity man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

never heard of this before.. where is it usually celebrated?? is there a part of the country that its more popular in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Two threads about this June bonfire night?? :confused: I've never heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

So the catholics half inched another feast (midsummer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Never heard of it or seen any bonfires in the middle of June:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Never heard of any bonfires in June either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Venom wrote: »
    Never heard of any bonfires in June either.

Its mostly a west of Ireland thing, like wren-boying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Never heard of it either, but an excuse to set stuff on fire is not to be ignored

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember this from when I was a young lad. Weeks/months collecting tryes, pallets, logs for a radius of about 3 miles. Ah those were the days. It was the occasion of the summer back in the 80's in my nexk of the woods.

I agree with the OP about the abomination that is the halloween one that has taken over from the mid summer one. West is Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Its mostly a west of Ireland thing, like wren-boying.

Not to be confused with rent-boying in the east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

oisinmc14 wrote: »

Yeah we have a bonfire night here too... 5th November, the day Protestants stitched up Catholics tried to burn down the Houses of Parliament....

What's the tradition over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Bonfires in June? I'll keep me eyes open for them I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

brummytom wrote: »
    Yeah we have a bonfire night here too... 5th November, the day Protestants stitched up Catholics tried to burn down the Houses of Parliament....

What's the tradition over there?
    31st of October.
    People get drunk and kids go begging.

Ooh right, yeah we do Halloween aswell just minus the bonfires (exc. Burning cars, fridges, victims) and with more eggs and toilet roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I never heard of it so that means it doesn't exist.

Unless Pat Kenny, Mary Harney & Katie Price can be burned, legally, then stop wasting my time.

easyeason3 wrote: »

Unless Pat Kenny, & Katie Price can be burned, legally, then stop wasting my time.
    They'd burn in seconds.. wood and plastic
    Mary Harney
    Jesus she'd take weeks

Advertisement