Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf M4 engine whistle

• 23-06-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

I have a VW Golf M4. I recently notice a change in the sound of the engine when idle. Slightly noisier. Also noise coming from the front right wheel arch area? Around the same time i began to get this noise just after I started the car. Similar noise to when you turn the key but it happens after you have started the car. Soon after, I noticed a whistle coming from the engine when the car is moving. The faster the car goes, the more high pitched the whistle gets. Any one have any ideas what it could be or know if these are connected? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Whistle is normal if the car is either a TDi or GTI.This is the sound from the turbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What engine is in it? im guessing turbo anyway,the side mounted intercooler is behind the front right wheel arch,you could have a boost leak.the pancake pipe from the intercooler could be hanging off,or punctured,is the car down on power slightly or a bit flat?if its a diesel is it any smokier than normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

It's 1.4 comfortline. The car is 8 years old. All these problems only surfaced recently. Petrol engine. No change in power. Think i'll just get the garage to have a look at it. Thanks Anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

well that throws my prognosis out the window :D

Is the whistle defo coming from the engine and not the wheels i.e bearings or pads rubbing of discs slightly.

definately not the brake pads. could the wheel bearings cause a whistle? i've been thinking the noise around the front wheel arch could be the shocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Does it only happen for about 30 seconds after starting from cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is the whistle there if you rev the engine in neutral? If not it rules out the engine as the source. Could be a wheel bearing.
    Around the same time i began to get this noise just after I started the car. Similar noise to when you turn the key but it happens after you have started the car.

Is it a high whiny whirry sound that happens directly after you start the car and only stays for 2-3 seconds? If so it's a common VW problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

same thing happened to me..
    although so far I have only heard it twice over period of about half year..

My one is not that much of a whistle, but rather a pitching sound for a short period, less than 20 second during driving (Like "yiiiiiiiiiiiii" - Never realised that it's this hard trying to put the sound of noise into writing :rolleyes:

Whenever I drive and comes up to a speed bump, if I press the brake (medium force exertion) AND there's pot hole (minor ones), it suddenly turn into kinda scraping action between the brake disc and the pad. Something like as if the disc have ice on it where the pad have little contact with it, therefore it's like sliding for a second..

Any other Golf MK4 people experiencing this?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

lau1247 wrote: »
    "yiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Fanbelt.
    scraping action

Brake pads/discs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does the pitch of the whistle change with engine speed? If so it could be a number of things - fan belt, alternator, PAS pump but I'd have it checked in case it's the beginning of something dodgy with the water pump or timing belt tensioner.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    Is the whistle there if you rev the engine in neutral? If not it rules out the engine as the source. Could be a wheel bearing.

Is it a high whiny whirry sound that happens directly after you start the car and only stays for 2-3 seconds? If so it's a common VW problem.

No whistle when idle and the noise after start up is exactly how you describe. You say it's a common problem. Do you know what it is and how much it costs to rectify? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

No whistle when idle and the noise after start up is exactly how you describe. You say it's a common problem. Do you know what it is and how much it costs to rectify? Thanks again.

If the sound is only there after startup from cold for around 20-30 seconds it could be the secondary air pump which is leaking.
    This unit forces air through the cat to warm it up quicker to reduce emissions.

The unit can be replaced for several hundred euro's or repaired for about 2 euro's. It's riveted together and these rivets come loose allowing air to escape making the whistling noise. You need to remove the unit, drill out the rivets and replace them with nylock nut's and bolts.

Neilw wrote: »
    If the sound is only there after startup from cold for around 20-30 seconds it could be the secondary air pump which is leaking.
    This unit forces air through the cat to warm it up quicker to reduce emissions.

The unit can be replaced for several hundred euro's or repaired for about 2 euro's. It's riveted together and these rivets come loose allowing air to escape making the whistling noise. You need to remove the unit, drill out the rivets and replace them with nylock nut's and bolts.

thanks but its 2-3 seconds not 20-30. only happens sometimes as well. for example if i haven't used the car for a few days, it will make this noise when started but will not make it later on that day if i start it?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Does the pitch of the whistle change with engine speed? If so it could be a number of things - fan belt, alternator, PAS pump but I'd have it checked in case it's the beginning of something dodgy with the water pump or timing belt tensioner.
    Yes, the pitch changes with the speed. Had the fan belt done 20000 miles ago and the water pump and timing belt about 10000 miles ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

I have a problem with my MK4 that sounds very similar to this. It has turned out to be a problem in the back box of the exhaust, manufacturers fault. Since it was only put on new 2 weeks ago, I will not be charged, hope this helps!

I'm not being smart here - but I'd say let the problem develop. It's not causing any bother (yet!) so drive on and see if more symptoms develop which may aid any future diagnosis. The downside to this is the fault could possibly develop rapidly and lead to a breakdown. Just make sure you have the relevant breakdown/assistance numbers in your phone.

Personally, I'd let it develop.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't have to worry about it anymore. Some scumbag set fire to it the other night and reduced it to a charred black shell of a golf. Wouldn't have minded that much except for the insurance ran out recently :mad:

Some scumbag set fire to it the other night and reduced it to a charred black shell of a golf. Wouldn't have minded that much except for the insurance ran out recently :mad:

Sorry to hear about that.

How did it happen?

Advertisement