Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go service provider, without forced top ups?

• 23-06-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

I barely use my mobile phone, and didn't top it up for more than 180 days, which is enough for the cunts at Vodafone to disable your sim entirely (which forces me to buy another, even though I got fuck all use out of the previous one).

I don't want to buy another sim from Vodafone, so is there another service provider which doesn't disable your sim after a long period of inactivity?
    I don't want a monthly fee service or anything, just pay as you go, as it's a waste of money for me otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

is it not the case that Vodafone disable outgoing calls after 180 days, but only disable the SIM after a year?

Most service providers have something like this, they are giving you service and €20 a year for this is not a huge amount. Vodafone have the advantage that accumulated credit can be transferred to another prepaid vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I barely use my mobile phone, and didn't top it up for more than 180 days, which is enough for the cunts at Vodafone to disable your sim entirely (which forces me to buy another, even though I got fuck all use out of the previous one).

I don't want to buy another sim from Vodafone, so is there another service provider which doesn't disable your sim after a long period of inactivity?
    I don't want a monthly fee service or anything, just pay as you go, as it's a waste of money for me otherwise.

It's a policy enforced by ComReg, not by the mobile providers. It is to ensure that mobile numbers are recycled and that they are not all used up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If i remember correctly the rule is you need to use credit (ie: a chargeable call) or topup every 6 months. If you do not the account is suspended. You If you fail to activate the account for the 6 months after that, the number is recycled.

Vodafone have a date on their credit. Tesco and o2 dont have expiry iirc, so that might be a best option for you. For meteor you need to topup by a minimum of a fiver every 330 days. If you do not, then 30days later the account is closed. Three makes you topup every 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Well, my phone's been out of use for over a year, so the sim is almost certainly deactivated now.
    Thanks for the suggestions Davy, I'll check out o2.

• Advertisement

Hmm...no o2 has the same restrictions. Is it possible to top up with a payment of something tiny like €1, or 20c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hmm...no o2 has the same restrictions. Is it possible to top up with a payment of something tiny like €1, or 20c?

What do you mean? I thought you could buy €10 and use it over the year. Once you use some credit every 6 months.

The lowest amount of credit is €5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Yes once you make a chargeable transaction every 6 months you should be sorted and your sim will not be deactivated.

Ah I see, that makes sense :) thanks.

Advertisement