Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appropriate notice for rent review?

• 23-06-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people would consider an appropriate notice period for the request of a rent review?

Since you give notice 35 days before the last day of your lease if you intend to move out on the last day of your lease, (and if we don't get a rent reduction in line with what I think would be appropriate) would requesting a rent reduction 30 days before the date you'd be entitled to give notice be too soon?

sorry if that's a bit convoluted, here it is in dates:

July 25 : day on which one would have to give 35 days notice in order to terminate lease on its last day
    August 30 : date lease finishes

Given that scenario, is it still too early to request a rent review (reviewed rent would only come into play on Sept 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think so.

All that can happen is he says "it's too early" ?

fire away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Xiney wrote: »
    Just wondering what people would consider an appropriate notice period for the request of a rent review?

Since you give notice 35 days before the last day of your lease if you intend to move out on the last day of your lease, (and if we don't get a rent reduction in line with what I think would be appropriate) would requesting a rent reduction 30 days before the date you'd be entitled to give notice be too soon?

Nothing to stop you asking for a rent review to start immediately. If you are a good tenant then landlord might be very keen to keep you by reviewing rent now. By the way if you have a fixed term lease then you don't have to give any notice. Just move out on last day of lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Why wait to ask - tell them that you want a rent review before you consider renewing the lease, if it doesn't happen you can move out at the end of the lease as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Why not request it now? If you have been a reliable tenant up to now the Landlord should at least negotiate. If not - its definitly a renters market now- no shortage of other properties in the locality available i'd guess.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ok so I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I:

a) make an appointment to visit the landlord's agents in person?
    b) call them?
    c) send a letter?

Current rent is 750pm (2 bed in Galway City). I want it to be 600pm, but if I have to I'll take 650. I plan to fight hard to keep it closer to 600 though. If they don't bring us down to at least 650 we'll be moving, and good luck to them. Should I:

a) lowball them and open with 550pm so I have room to negotiate? Seems so low that it'd be obvious to them that I'm lowballing and I expect to be pushed higher.
    b) tell them straight out I expect a reduction to 600 and simply be less flexible?

• Advertisement
Advertisement