Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wirelessly

Options
  • 23-06-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi

I have a small wireless network at home stemming from a Netgear Rangemax wireless router which is located in my front bedroom(office). Recently I got a new TV which has internet capabilities and would like to connect it to my network. It has an ethernet port but I dont want to run a cable to it. Could you recommend a router that would act as a repeater that has a built in ethernet port/switch that I could wire the TV too but hide it somewhere behind my TV cabinet. You know what I mean....???

Cheers

Rats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Your looking for a device to work as a wireless bridge.

You could just drop the idea of using wireless for this connection and use the electrical wiring in your home as a network instead.

Powerline/homeplug devices allow you to use your homes electrical wiring as a network - http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=powerline

Cheap set (you need a min. of 2 units) - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665 - £55+£10 shipping

More info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

These things are fine once none of your neighbours are using them also (which to be fair is unlikely). Whats the story with joining these things to a standard network - do they have their own DHCP, own network configuration?

Unsure about the effects of neighbours using the same devices, but you do secure your network by using a network name. In theory, you could have 2 separate logical networks if you wanted to run 4 of these devices in your house, 2 on each logical network using different network names.

They don't get IP addresses - they are invisible to 'normal' networking devices. They act like a networking hub, using the wiring in your house to connect to each other - don't effect TTLs of packets etc.

You use special software to configure them, very easy, within 1min they are all setup and passing traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Thanks a mill guys. This option sounds really interesting. Do yee think that would be easier than just using some type of wireless repeater system...?

Rats

ratsam wrote: »
    Thanks a mill guys. This option sounds really interesting. Do yee think that would be easier than just using some type of wireless repeater system...?

Rats

The effort of using a wireless bridge (maybe getting a Linksys WRT54G unit and using Tomato/WRT on it and put it into Bridge mode) or setting up two of those powerline devices in my opinion is the same from when I've deployed them. I find the powerline setup more tidy though. No need for antennas, moving the antenna to a good location for signal etc.

The big benefit I had moving to powerline is that I've found them better for steaming video. Found my devices (XBMC on an Xbox1&ATV) constantly stopping and buffering while using a 54g wireless setup and no issues using the powerline 200mbps setup

• Advertisement

Don't mean to confuse the situation but if you consider a wireless repeater / bridge setup you'll have the advantage of really improving wireless reception in the gaff especially if it's bad in some places downstairs and as more and more devices become wireless every minute on earth (game consoles, ovens, microwaves, the kids...) you're future proofing like crazy. Consider that.

AT THE SAME TIME (Sorry about this) setting up a wireless repeater can be (most likely) a little complicated and requires a certain amount of networking knowledge (not for the faint of heart in other words) and there's also the "possiblity" that you're Rangemax doesn't support it.

(Sorry about these) Things to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Thanks a lot guys...!

I am not afraid to get down and dirty with a bit of networking. I have set up a few small office and home networks which included bridging modems, setting up DHCP servers, VPN's etc etc so I have a wee bit of knowledge. Because I have thought myself everything I always like to get some reassurance off experts like yourselves before purchasing...!

I'll decide what to do over the next couple of weeks and let yee know how I get on.

Cheers

Rats

You called me an expert...and I'm not even an expert!

I'm...touched.

Thank you so much.

Jokin'. If you've done those kind of things in the past then a WDS setup won't be a problem for you at all, in fact don't forget to come back here for help, we'd be more than happy.

My current setup in the house is two Bufallo High-powered (WHR-HP-G54) wireless routers flashed with DD-WRT firmware. Those routers cost only around €45 each (www.dabs.ie) and they flash very easily with the very fully featured DD-WRT linux based firmware, their own firmware being sh!te.

Advertisement