Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Geographic Galway Photo 1969 Location?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

[FONT=&quot]Hello All...need some help here (on behalf of someone I know) in locating this photo!
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In the summer of 1968, National Geographic photographer James A. Sugar travelled around Ireland taking pictures of people for an article named ‘The Friendly Irish’ by John Scofield, which was published in September 1969. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]James visited a variety of places, including farms, hurling matches and community activities. To celebrate the 40th anniversary of his trip, James shall return to Ireland this summer, travelling from Cork to Donegal taking a look at how Ireland has changed since his first visit. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The pilot who flew the plane doesn’t remember the exact route, although he did mention West Galway. James is interested in recreating the picture to see how the area has changed. so if you could give us any direction at all as to where the picture might have been taken it would be great.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cheers,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]galway%20small.jpg[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Knocknacarra.....

No idea sorry. It looks like ribbon development was just beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Looks like bungalow bliss was just about to start. Has to be in Connemara although it is hard to identify the location. Could be part of the old main road between Galway and Clifden but unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would go with somewhere near the coast between Tonabrucky and Inverin or past Casla. I would not go with Galway to Clifden Rd.

Have a look in the Aviation section and there might be some Galway Pilot who might point you in the direction but I'd say its a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would go with somewhere near the coast between Tonabrucky and Inverin or past Casla. I would not go with Galway to Clifden Rd.

Looks a bit flat for that part of Galway, cept maybe for the Bantrach/ Ros an Mhil area.

Oughterard area might be a possibility.
    sgthighway wrote: »
    Have a look in the Aviation section and there might be some Galway Pilot who might point you in the direction but I'd say its a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

The only place i think it remotely looks like is Ros a'Mhil, it looks similar to this route and there are a fair amount of thatched cottages on this route - not sure though to be honest, the area i am thinking about might have had more houses even back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

could it be between inverin and ballinahown, my other guess is possibly out past carraroe
    could that be the galway-ros a mhil road running across the top and then the road heading inland?

you should get on to the ordnance survey of ireland and see what they can do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is a divided stripe field arrangement, not Knocnatallaght , Spiddal , Furbo , Barna I would say . Note that the fields are in stripes and that the stripes are then subdivided randomly crossways , the stripes run left to right ish. That narrows down the search a lot because most field arrangements are higgledy piggeldy in Connemara .

Bring up the map search below, zoom in a bit, and turn every planning and zoning and Os mapping layer off on the left , you are then left ONLY with Fields and Townland outlines in Red .

http://apps.galwaycoco.ie/planningenquiry/MainFrames.aspx

I only see likely stripes near the airport in Minne and in Cor Na Rón and Lochán Beag on the sea side, Coill Rua and Maybe Foramoyle West in Barna . Tir An Fhia / Maimin east side of Gorumna Island is a very very possible location to my mind .

Ask the dude if he flew over Aran and Dun Aengus on the same flight . Gorumna Island is just north of it ! I know he did Aran On the ground in 1969 and there was no airport or aer arann back then but did he take an aerial of Aran ??

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a divided stripe field arrangement, not Knocnatallaght , Spiddal , Furbo , Barna I would say . Note that the fields are in stripes and that the stripes are then subdivided randomly crossways , the stripes run left to right ish. That narrows down the search a lot because most field arrangements are higgledy piggeldy in Connemara .

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - found the site in question!!! it's north of Barna in a place called Na Foraí Maola Thoir (Forramoyle East) - The pic below is from December 2008
    2008.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And look how developed it is in 2008 compared to 40 years previously - with one off houses and small cul de sacs.

Pretty much sums up how Ireland has developed in those 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The McMansions of Barna will make a perfect photo for National Geographic .

Maybe tell the locals to tidy their gardens up for it :D

Advertisement