Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stir-fry---little dry

Options
  • 23-06-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi All,

When I cook a strir fry(soya sauce,chilli,noodles,garlic,beef strips,ginger,onion etc...) it seems a little dry.
    anyone know if there is any "other" ingredients I can add to make it less dry?
    I dont want to add more oil but I want that greasy taste you get with some tastey stir frys.
    any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Splash of rice wine perhaps and a few drops of sesame oil gives a nice flavour kick too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

How about a bit of chicken stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

fish sauce keeps it nice and moist and adds tons of flavour. also add a spoon of brown sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

oyster sauce - you can get it in any supermarket (blue dragon, sharwoods etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

+1 for oyster sauce, Thai Gold brand is nice, nicer than sharwoods imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

toasted sesame oil- yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

+1 on the sesame oil, chicken stock (reduced - careful of saltiness of cubes) & rice wine (or dry sherry).

Adding a little cornflour will thicken it but beware of making it BadChineseTakeAwayGloopy!!

If it's a Chinese style stirfry, I wouldn't go with the fish sauce but if it's Thai of SE Asian then fine.

Don't see much point in making a homemade stirfry and then adding bottled sauce to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It depends really

are you marinating the meet before hand ?

Or just going with soy ?

I tend to pee a peanut butter addict at the moment but mine goes something like this

Oyster suace,
    honey
    lemon juice
    blasamic-or distilled malt vinger or if you have rice vinger.
    terriaki - prefer it to soy not so over powering.
    peanut butter
    and spices and herbs

finely choped
    ginger
    lemon grass
    chillie

leave it in the fridge for an hour or 24 hours

then cut the beef into half inch strips
    into a hot pan and cook one side then throw the veg in and if I'm using noodles them to leave for 2 to 3 minutes
    while tossing

sprinkle some left over chillies just for that nice pleasurable kick....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I usually mix soya sauce and a bit of tomato purée with dry sherry or water. If it's too liquidy then it can be reduced as you cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Another one for fish sauce,fab with beef in particular.

• Advertisement
Advertisement