Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on drugs and the OH??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

When I was younger I wouldn't have cared but now it would bother me.

I don't think I'd go out with someone who was out on big sessions (alcohol) every weekend, definitely not with someone who smoked, nor other drugs.

Those lifestyles or pastimes just don't appeal to me and I'd find it hard for a girl involved in any of them to be appealing to me, in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Also, can we please stop with this "need drugs to enjoy yourself" or "had to smoke weed" crap?

Give me a break, will ya? That's a hugely childish argument. Just because someone does drugs or even drinks alcohol doesn't mean they require it to have a good time. It's just a different way to have fun, like how going to a comedy festival or hanging out with your mates is a different kind of fun than riding a roller coaster or skydiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

liah wrote: »
    Also, can we please stop with this "need drugs to enjoy yourself" or "had to smoke weed" crap?
    Why? If the guy felt he had to smoke it daily, no matter where he was, and got aggressive or defensive about it, then saying "had to smoke it" sounds entirely apt to me?
    Give me a break, will ya? That's a hugely childish argument. Just because someone does drugs or even drinks alcohol doesn't mean they require it to have a good time. It's just a different way to have fun

Yeah an illegal kind :confused:
    Frankly if someone was going to skydiving or rollercoasters obsessively every day then I'd say they might have a problem too

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why? If the guy felt he had to smoke it daily, no matter where he was, and got aggressive or defensive about it, then saying "had to smoke it" sounds entirely apt to me?

Yeah an illegal kind :confused:
    Frankly if someone was going to skydiving or rollercoasters obsessively every day then I'd say they might have a problem too

The problem I'm having is that people who say that seem to think that all recreational drug users HAVE to have it in their lives because they can't have fun without it, which is untrue.

By your last sentence you're also implying that all drug users are addicts, which is about as far from the case as you can possibly get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Would the "anti drug" crowd here date someone who consumed alcohol, caffeine drinks, or paracetamol?
    Or is it just the drugs that our government deem unsuitable you have a problem with?

• Advertisement

By your last sentence you're also implying that all drug users are addicts, which is about as far from the case as you can possibly get.

Oh am I now? You want to explain that one to me?
    You referred at the start of your post (I assume) to g86's post in which she talked about an ex having to smoke it every day. Yes, there are different types of fun, but if he'd been going skydiving every day it would have been a problem also.
    Making this random leap to "stop being mean to all drug users"... come off it.

Oh am I now? You want to explain that one to me?
    You referred at the start of your post (I assume) to g86's post in which she talked about an ex having to smoke it every day. Yes, there are different types of fun, but if he'd been going skydiving every day it would have been a problem also.
    Making this random leap to "stop being mean to all drug users"... come off it.

Yes, else you would've realized that I was just done saying "all things in moderation" before I made my post about roller coasters and skydiving.

I doubt her ex "had" to smoke weed every day. He probably just enjoyed it and she was probably overreacting to the use of a drug she doesn't understand, and he stood up to her about his lifestyle and choices, wanted to continue being his own person, and didn't want to be controlled or coerced into stopping an enjoyable activity-- and she thought it was because he was "addicted" which I doubt is the case considering weed is notoriously easy to come away from.

But I wasn't referring to her post anyway, or at least not specifically her post. Couple other posters have said things along those lines and it's just a ridiculously stupid argument considering the percentage of people who "have" to have it in their lives is a handful in the grand spectrum of drugs. The majority of users are fine. It's a small few who give it a bad rep. Like alcohol, or pitbulls, or gun owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ladies, cool it a bit please.

I doubt her ex "had" to smoke weed every day. He probably just enjoyed it and she was probably overreacting to the use of a drug she doesn't understand, and he stood up to her about his lifestyle and choices, wanted to continue being his own person, and didn't want to be controlled or coerced into stopping an enjoyable activity-- and she thought it was because he was "addicted" which I doubt is the case considering weed is notoriously easy to come away from.
    Why? :confused: Why is it your assumption that she has to be some kind of control freak rather than acknowledging that someone who insists on smoking it every day, in a foreign house where they have been already asked to refrain? Where anyone with simple manners would probably refrain?
    The amount of fingerpointing and accusations you're doing/making at her to justify this guy smoking it every day and in someone else's house... :confused:
    She even said she compromised and promised to turn a blind eye if he just didn't do it around her and he refused.
    I see nothing control freakish in her behaviour or handling of the situation there and I'm genuinely wondering at the post you just made

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd find it unattractive if a girl I was with smoked weed, just like i'd find it unattractive if she smoked cigarettes. Funnily enough, I've never been with either.

I'd find it more unattractive if a girl got shít faced every weekend.

• Advertisement

Why? :confused: Why is it your assumption that she has to be some kind of control freak rather than acknowledging that someone who insists on smoking it every day, in a foreign house where they have been already asked to refrain? Where anyone with simple manners would probably refrain?
    The amount of fingerpointing and accusations you're doing/making at her to justify this guy smoking it every day and in someone else's house... :confused:
    She even said she compromised and promised to turn a blind eye if he just didn't do it around her and he refused.
    I see nothing control freakish in her behaviour or handling of the situation there and I'm genuinely wondering at the post you just made

The reason I made it was simply because he didn't try to hide it.

It sounds like he wanted to show her it was a part of who he was and it was a passtime he enjoyed and took part in and that was just how it was. He didn't want to have to be forced to hide it from her. I know I wouldn't want to have to sneak around behind my OH's back because I wanted to keep doing something I'd done for years, regardless of whether it was a drug or a glass of wine or a jigsaw puzzle.

Just the way her post was written made it seem like she just simply didn't understand the drug and instead of trying to understand it, its effects, and trying to understand his point of view, she'd rather've put her fingers in her ears and covered her eyes and pretended it wasn't happening and then gave the "my way or the highway/if you loved me you'd quit for me" ultimatum. Why was she with him in the first place if she knew he did drugs anyway..?

I do agree that lighting up INSIDE a shared house that he didn't rent/own was rude and disrespectful, however. But I doubt that was the only issue.

Regardless, it wasn't even the only post I was referring to; you brought that one up, so I looked it up and replied. Don't see why that's hard to understand..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

and she thought it was because he was "addicted" which I doubt is the case considering weed is notoriously easy to come away from.

Just on that point, I have worked in the treatment for over 12 years now; just to point out that I have no issues with recreational drug use in my experience its from from easy to give up if you a long-term daily user. I find it to be quite an insidous drug, I have been making this point for years that some of my more interesting clinical work is around those who just use hash.

The fact that someone is using it daily would suggest some form of addiction, and its only when people try to stop they realise this. Of course there are those who just stop, but dependency on it is much more common than people think.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Just on that point, I have worked in the treatment for over 12 years now; just to point out that I have no issues with recreational drug use in my experience its from from easy to give up if you a long-term daily user. I find it to be quite an insidous drug, I have been making this point for years that some of my more interesting clinical work is around those who just use hash.

The fact that someone is using it daily would suggest some form of addiction, and its only when people try to stop they realise this. Of course there are those who just stop, but dependency on it is much more common than people think.

I used to smoke it daily when it was available to me and I never had any trouble going cold turkey when I went overseas to where it was illegal, scarce, and far more expensive. I come from Canada, and basically everyone I know smokes weed there but has never had a problem stopping for whatever reason.

The reason you've probably seen more people "addicted" to weed here is that a) it's more popular than harder drugs so there's more of it and b) weed here tends to be far from pure compared to other places, I'd be more wary of what's in it being addictive than the actual pure drug itself.

Many, many, many studies on marijuana indicate that it itself isn't an addictive drug. It just lends itself well to addictive personalities, such as videogames or alcohol would, in which case it would be inevitable that the user would have something wrong with them and marijuana just enabled it. They could have got addicted to anything.

But I'm speaking from a purist weed point of view. I don't smoke weed in Ireland often because it's dirty and laced with a lot of things, and not to mention mixed with cigarette innards which probably would do well to lead to an addiction, too; they associate the addiction with the marijuana when in all probability it's an addiction to the nicotine they're mixing it with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

Would the "anti drug" crowd here date someone who consumed alcohol, caffeine drinks, or paracetamol?
    Or is it just the drugs that our government deem unsuitable you have a problem with?

i think there is a line between paracetamol and other pain killers and drugs such as coke. so i think its an unfair question to put to people but i see where your coming from. and i think while yes paracetamol and other pain killers can lead to addiction and in worst case death the fact its controlled it is less of a danger ie for supplies sellers users etc.
    I spent alot of time in amsterdam so i grew up around people smoking joints etc so maybe thats why i dont see the appeal in it because i never thought it was a big deal.
    i have sat in on a few 'legalise' meetings( I wanted to get informed, so I wouldnt be ignorant on the topic) and maybe it would be alot safer and better for everyone involved if weed was legalised. that said I still wouldnt consume it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

my OH has done hash and coke a few times,it didn't bother me when he told me.we've bothed smoked a bit since we got together but niether make a habit of it(and haven't done it in at least a yr). wouldn't be all that perturbed if he told me he smoked over the weekend though,i just don't think it's that big a deal.

however,my ex was quite into coke, pills and MDMA. He did at least one of them every weekend, and while i didn't see him off his face too many times, it did scare me a bit and made me somewhat nervous. He was actually arrested for possession shortly after me broke up:rolleyes: the worst thing is,he's really a lovely guy and very smart,which is such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I used to smoke it daily when it was available to me and I never had any trouble going cold turkey when I went overseas to where it was illegal, scarce, and far more expensive. I come from Canada, and basically everyone I know smokes weed there but has never had a problem stopping for whatever reason.

The reason you've probably seen more people "addicted" to weed here is that a) it's more popular than harder drugs so there's more of it and b) weed here tends to be far from pure compared to other places, I'd be more wary of what's in it being addictive than the actual pure drug itself.

Many, many, many studies on marijuana indicate that it itself isn't an addictive drug. It just lends itself well to addictive personalities, such as videogames or alcohol would, in which case it would be inevitable that the user would have something wrong with them and marijuana just enabled it. They could have got addicted to anything.

But I'm speaking from a purist weed point of view. I don't smoke weed in Ireland often because it's dirty and laced with a lot of things, and not to mention mixed with cigarette innards which probably would do well to lead to an addiction, too; they associate the addiction with the marijuana when in all probability it's an addiction to the nicotine they're mixing it with.

To be fair Liah, you make valid points, however, the are plently of studies which state that it is addictive addictive too. The point around nicotine is also valid, but then again alot with a lot of the cases I worked with the subject where still smoking so getting nicotine. Very few professionals [none that I know] buy into the addictive personality, though of course their is something within the person. However, those like you who can just stop never make it into my clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I wouldn't mind if someone smoked weed occasionally, but if someone was taking anything stronger, or was an extremely heavy drinker, or a 10+ cigarettes a day smoker, it would really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I have no time, whatsoever, for people who are "anti drugs" but drink or smoke tobacco.

I don't think many people would know that I use a lot of drugs unless I told them, and I talk about it freely because I think the taboo is just silly. It's an enjoyable part of my life. I do well in college, I have lots of hobbies, I haven't even had a cold in a few years.

I prefer psychadelics to drink and weed, I don't really need anything for nights out/in, but nothing can possibly ever ever ever compare to the magic of LSD. Ever. I am a very happy person, totally in love, doing well in life, love my job, love college, love my friends. I haven't gone back to the way I was before I took it, and I mean that in a good way. I get embarrassed explaining why I like it to people who haven't tried it because it sounds daft, but people who have just "know". It's more of a spiritual experience than anything else, although it also heightens the senses ridiculously, all my senses tingle ooooh it's amazing. It has certainly done me more good than harm and made me even happier.

It's not about "dutch courage" or just getting out of yer head for the sake of it, and you can't do it to escape if you're unhappy because you'll see demons in the clouds etc. It's nothing like alcohol. I think alcohol users assume all drugs are in a similar vein "get you completely mashed deadly buzz" but not so. Most have a much cleaner, clearer feel.

it has also given me and the OH an even closer bond, which only we understand. It happened months ago and it's still there. I think seeing that stuff and feeling those absolutely out of this world hour long orgasms together might be something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just from a personal viewpoint, I don't think anything that can alter your perceptions is a good thing for the most part but my whole reason as to why I disagree with my OH doing any kind of illegal drugs is because of the way he is, even when he drinks.

I have seen a good few friends, who are really nice, happy, standard people who turn into absolute **** and bitches when they're high, on weed or on coke or whatever. They give people verbal abuse and get into fights and a number of stupid things aggravated by the fact that they were out of their heads on illegal drugs and their perceptions were altered and they didn't have the right idea about themselves. They can be the same when drunk, but I've seen some of them worse than any time they've been locked on alcohol after taking illegal drugs, whatever the reason may be.

One girl I know passed out one night purely out of being so coked up she could barely move and I tried to help her home and she nearly cut me with a broken glass for trying to help her, she thought I was attacking her.

And again, a guy I know very well from college beat the sh1t out of his girlfriend from smoking so much weed that he didn't know left from right, gf got tired and pissed off and he beat the crap out of her when she tried to leave the house, saying that she was ruining his fun.

I've never touched illegal drugs once in my life, I've drank and smoked but even now, I'm beginning to lose the attraction to alcohol, not because it's also a "drug" but because it alters your perceptions. Think of all the stupid stuff that you've done when you're locked. I'm not proud of some of the things I've said and things I've done when locked or whatever and my OH is an arsehole when he gets really drunk.

I understand that sometimes people have problems and they use drugs, whether they be illegal or not, to give them a release, but I just don't agree with them and I dont like my boyfriend doing drugs or drinking excessively because he turns into an arsehole, as do I when I'm out of it.

It's just a matter of personal preference/opinion. Some people don't mind OH doing drugs as long as it's not around them, some people do drugs with their OH and some people prefer that they just don't do it at all. If you're pro-drug there's no point attacking someone who's anti-drug, just for having an opinion. Drugs (alcohol incl.) have caused alot of trouble and hurt and problems for millions of people, just because people are anti-drug doesn't mean they're uptight, alot of people have lost family members and friends because of drugs, myself included. Don't assume people are just uptight and self-righteous because they don't want to completley lose themselves in something that can completley alter their perception of everything around them.

lizzyvera wrote: »
    I have no time, whatsoever, for people who are "anti drugs" but drink or smoke tobacco.

I don't think many people would know that I use a lot of drugs unless I told them, and I talk about it freely because I think the taboo is just silly. It's an enjoyable part of my life. I do well in college, I have lots of hobbies, I haven't even had a cold in a few years.

I prefer psychadelics to drink and weed, I don't really need anything for nights out/in, but nothing can possibly ever ever ever compare to the magic of LSD. Ever. I am a very happy person, totally in love, doing well in life, love my job, love college, love my friends. I haven't gone back to the way I was before I took it, and I mean that in a good way. I get embarrassed explaining why I like it to people who haven't tried it because it sounds daft, but people who have just "know". It's more of a spiritual experience than anything else, although it also heightens the senses ridiculously, all my senses tingle ooooh it's amazing. It has certainly done me more good than harm and made me even happier.

It's not about "dutch courage" or just getting out of yer head for the sake of it, and you can't do it to escape if you're unhappy because you'll see demons in the clouds etc. It's nothing like alcohol. I think alcohol users assume all drugs are in a similar vein "get you completely mashed deadly buzz" but not so. Most have a much cleaner, clearer feel.

it has also given me and the OH an even closer bond, which only we understand. It happened months ago and it's still there. I think seeing that stuff and feeling those absolutely out of this world hour long orgasms together might be something to do with it.
    Oh yeah, that isn't unhealthy at all.

Replace ''LSD'' in that post with ''Beer'', and you'll see what I mean.

• Advertisement

I would be VERY worried if someone told me they had those effects from beer! It's not supposed to be psychadelic... I've never heard of anyone getting anything other than drunk/drowsy/randy from it. :)

It's very hard to explain, as I said. I get this from alcohol users. They really do think that every drug has the same effects to different extents. They will always compare them as though the two work on the same receptors and neurotransmitters, without actually looking into it first, which is sad in a way.

Acid is not addictive. It'd be very difficult for it to even be habit forming, because you have to wait over two weeks between trips since transient tolerence develops, and you have to set aside a whole day. It has to be sunny or you'll get a bad trip. I've taken it about ten times in 2 years or so. It has to be with the right people. You have to be completely happy and have no worries at the time, because it maginifies your feelings. I have too much college work and money earning work to take it often! And I am a pharmacology student, so I read a lot of journals etc before I took it to make sure I knew what I was in for and that it wasn't dangerous.

Really the point I want to make is that some people take drugs because they enjoy them. I couldn't possibly have a better life than I do. It's not escapism.

I'm a bit taken aback by your snide comment. I didn't mean to upset or offend anyone. I was just giving an honest account of my experiences. I'm very sorry magicmarker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

nothing can possibly ever ever ever compare to the magic of LSD. Ever. I am a very happy person, totally in love, doing well in life, love my job, love college, love my friends.

And you attribute all that to taking a drug? You don't think you could have done so well in life without it?

Well this is ten times ever. It's very hard to explain, as I said. I knew I'd get this from alcohol users. They really do think that every drug has the same effects to different extents.
    I haven't had an alcoholic drink in over 6 months. Your post just comes across as depressing tbh. If someone had come on here saying what you said in relation to beer, then everyone would be saying GET HELP ASAP, I don't see why LSD or any other drug should be different.

Well this is ten times ever. It's very hard to explain, as I said. I knew I'd get this from alcohol users. They really do think that every drug has the same effects to different extents.

Here we go again, "you're so ignorant and narrowminded for not supporting my drug habit"

• I used to be really anti-drugs, then during college I had loads of friends who smoked weed, and I smoked it myself the odd time. I never considered it on the same level as other drugs though and I still thought people who used pills, coke etc were mental. My current BF used to smoke every day as well as doing pills, coke, mdma, whatever and I guess knowing someone who used drugs heavily has slightly changed my perception. I'd even be curious to try pills now, but given my paranoia, I'd probably be afraid to in case I was the person who had a adverse reaction! I am still absolutely disgusted by cocaine and not happy that the BF did it. I'm not sure why exactly this one drug bothers me so much but it really does. Anyway, the past is one thing, but I wouldn't want to date someone who was currently using drugs. It isn't the kind of thing I want in my life. My BF has some appalling stories about dealers etc. I'm not even happy with the amount of alcohol he drinks, but most Irish men seem to be the same way. I feel like I'm too young still to become the nagging girlfriend :o

No I don't think you're narrow minded at all! You should never take something if you don't want to! I thought all drugs did that before I tried it, I didn't have anything to compare it to. Sorry again. I really don't mean to sound like that, I don't think you're ignorant or narrowminded. I have friends who are pioneers. How on earth could i have a problem with that?

Comparing alcohol to LSD is a bit like comparing paracetamol to a fungicide. They do very different things and they have different mechanisms of action.
    You should be worried if someone said that about alcohol because it is addictive, and not supposed to be psychadelic. It's just a CNS depressant. People also take large amounts of alcohol, so it can be quite toxic. A strong dose of LSD is 250ug, so weight for weight about 800,000 times less than a beer's worth of alcohol. There's no record of an overdose, except deliberately in test animals. Some people do stupid things and kill themselves.

I think it's down to personal choice, provided people have access to good information, which I do and a lot of people don't. I don't see any point scaremongering and I think that is why a lot of anti-drugs policies have failed. Kids try weed and decide that everything anyone ever told them about the dangers of drugs must be rubbish, when obviously drugs can have devastating effects.

I'm going to stop now because I think I'm upsetting people, and I don't want to do that. I also don't have a "drug habit" in the sense that most people would interpret that. It'll probably be a long time before I take acid again, next Summer, if at all. I might not feel like it again. Please don't be so catty to me! I know this is only online and it's easy to forget that you are insulting real people, so it's ok for now, just try not to be so mean. I'm only giving my honest experiences. I don't need people to say I might be depressed because I am very happy, and my life is as excellent as it could possibly be. It would be excellent without acid, someone thought I meant that that was what made me happy, and I doubt it contributes much to be honest!

And you attribute all that to taking a drug? You don't think you could have done so well in life without it?

Where the hell did she say that?!

I believe she said that to show that not all drug users were brainless morons who are wrecking themselves.

I can understand why someone would use LSD. Hallucinations are interesting, it's nice to be able to participate in a world where things appear to happen that never could or would happen in reality. It's like playing a videogame or getting engrossed in a book or film, it just happens to be more vivid.

I didn't get the impression that the OP was addicted to LSD, either. Just seems like she appreciates what the drug can give to her. I mean it's ten times in two whole years! Replace that with the word "beer" and you've got a teetotaller, not someone who needs help like you lot are crying out for.

Please don't be so catty to me! I know this is only online and it's easy to forget that you are insulting real people, so it's ok for now, just try not to be so mean. I'm only giving my honest experiences. I don't need people to say I might be depressed because I am very happy, and my life is as excellent as it could possibly be. It would be excellent without acid, someone thought I meant that that was what made me happy, and I doubt it contributes much to be honest!

Having read your post just there, it seems we took each other up wrong.
    let's shake and make up ^^

[quote=[Deleted User];60835821] but given my paranoia, I'd probably be afraid to in case I was the person who had a adverse reaction[/QUOTE]

If there's a visible amount of substance, there's enough to poison you if it's cut with anything toxic. So you're taking a risk with any powders or pills. Of course, most people who die on pills die because of lack of education. They almost all die of water intoxication.

Coke is addictive and very expensive so you're right to be annoyed about that. If it's addictive keep well away, some people get addicted a lot more easily than other people. It's supposed to be fun while it lasts, so that's even more reason to stay away. It's more tempting to try it again after you try it once and it seems fairly harmless.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm all for live and let live. Myself though, I don't do drugs, drink alcohol (once in a blue moon, but I haven't had an alcoholic drink this year), or smoke. I also make it a point to not consume caffeine, nor do I take drugs unless my doctor prescribes them for a specific reason (you won't find any tylenol, aspirin, etc. in my home), and I'm currently taking no prescriptions. If I have a cold or a headache, I let my body do its thing and fight it off.
    I just believe in keeping the body free from those kind of substances, if you can. It's a personal choice. I'm not rabid about it - like I said, I'll have a drink once in a blue moon and if need be, take a prescription drug if a condition or illness calls for it. But otherwise, there's no interest.
    I don't mind if my partner drinks caffeine or alcohol (in moderation of course) or uses over the counter meds for colds and such. I don't even mind some weed smoking, as long as it's not done around me (smoke irritates my lungs). But anything harder than that would make me uncomfortable.

Advertisement