Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your opinion on drugs and the OH??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

This wrote: »
    How much is too much? What do you consider a hard drug? does your partner take drugs? Would you take drugs with your partner etc

After a long heated discussion I still dunno where I stand, not sure alot of the ladies I was chatting with at the weekend do either!!

My fella has taken alot of drugs but now only smokes weed every now and again but never around me as I am totally anti drug, but would never stop someone from doing them and dont lecture etc. So i was asked how if i am so anti drugs how can i be with someone who has done drugs and now smokes occasionally.

He knows straight out never to around me and if he does anything else Im gone... and yes I know I am being hypocritical.... but at the end of the day he has his own life and does his own thing so who am I to control him?

oh, yes . we all have an opinion on drugs. Me too, seen a few friends go down the plughole re. drugs ....my opinion ??they are ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

valery wrote: »
    oh, yes . we all have an opinion on drugs. Me too, seen a few friends go down the plughole re. drugs ....my opinion ??they are ****e.

And I've seen people go down the plughole from work, stress, overeating, alcoholism, internet addiction, social addiction.

Anything in excess can lead a person to go down in an ugly way. When done responsibly all of those things are fine and when done responsibly drugs are fine.

liah wrote: »
    And I've seen people go down the plughole from work, stress, overeating, alcoholism, internet addiction, social addiction.

Anything in excess can lead a person to go down in an ugly way. When done responsibly all of those things are fine and when done responsibly drugs are fine.

sorry Liah, apart from alcoholism cant agree with ya there . the words responsible and drugs dont belong in the same sentence. not in the real world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

This wrote: »
    How much is too much? What do you consider a hard drug? does your partner take drugs? Would you take drugs with your partner etc

After a long heated discussion I still dunno where I stand, not sure alot of the ladies I was chatting with at the weekend do either!!

My fella has taken alot of drugs but now only smokes weed every now and again but never around me as I am totally anti drug, but would never stop someone from doing them and dont lecture etc. So i was asked how if i am so anti drugs how can i be with someone who has done drugs and now smokes occasionally.

He knows straight out never to around me and if he does anything else Im gone... and yes I know I am being hypocritical.... but at the end of the day he has his own life and does his own thing so who am I to control him?

Back to the main point, if you have a particular dislike, you can't help if you're not attracted to it in other people.
    There are a lot of thing I think people should be free to do, but I wouldn't go out with them because of it. I wouldn't lecture anyone on the "error" of their ways for not being exactly the same as me.

I would never go out with a Muslim, a Catholic, a Hindu... any religion actually, someone who follows English soccer tournaments, someone who likes celebrity gossip, someone who likes misogynistic rap music, someone who talks about cars, someone who thinks the Indo is better than the Times, someone with long hair, someone with facial hair, someone who doesn't wash every single day, doesn't shave every day, doesn't brush teeth thoroughly enough, eats fast food even if they're not fat but I also wouldn't go out with a fat person, doesn't like music, doesn't like going for long walks and cycles, doesn't appreciate nature, doesn't have an interest in science, thinks it is a waste of time, doesn't think science has the answers (in an annoying metaphysical way), someone who thinks pretending to be a homosexual is funny, someone who thinks sexual innuendo is funny, someone who makes bad in-jokes.

So there you go. Lots of perfectly respectable traits that many people I know and love have, but all real-life reasons I have not fallen for people I would otherwise be very compatible with. A lot of my closest friends are male, but have some of these traits that completely repulse me. Some are also main reasons I have broken up with people, they're the things that gradually wore down on me until I couldn't stand them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ What? (In response to Valery) Yes they do. So if you overeat and stress yourself out enough to damage your health you are being responsible? I know many people that smoke the odd bit of weed and they are very responsible people. I agree with liah on all this. It depends on your own experiences with drugs I suppose.

• Advertisement

sorry Liah, apart from alcoholism cant agree with ya there . the words responsible and drugs dont belong in the same sentence. not in the real world. :)

Do you drink coffee or tea? Caffeine can be a potentially lethal drug, but you do it in small enough amounts that you get the buzz without going mental on it. That's a drug, and plenty of people use that responsibly.

Do you or does anyone in your family drink alcohol? Alcohol is an awful lot tougher than marijuana, and a lot more lethal, you can die when you drink too much unlike marijuana where it is literally impossible to overdose. Does this mean your auntie having a glass of wine at dinner is being irresponsible? I highly doubt it.

Your post just shows massive amounts of ignorance on the subject. Perhaps educate yourself a little. Drugs CAN be done responsibly and they CAN be done by responsible people. Have a quick google search for some famous people who've smoked pot. You'll surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Have a quick google search for some famous people who've smoked pot. You'll surprise yourself.

Like Barrack Obama. Being a bit tongue in cheek about people who say they smoked but didn't inhale, he says he "inhaled frequently". He has also always been for decriminalisation too.

Probably the reason people notice "lazy stoners" is that most people who smoke show no signs of it, so you wouldn't notice all the productive, happy people around you who smoke weed now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

sam34 wrote: »
    i dont like use of illicit drugs, and would not go out with someone who's into them.

thats my choice, and it is my right to choose.

however, i dont agree with your sentence above. i dont think anyone has a right to demand or emotionally blackmail anyone with the "if you liked me enough you'd do x/y/z" argument. if you and your OH cannot agree on an issue like this which means such a lot to both of you, then it may be irreconcilable.

as a comparison, imagine the outrage if someone came into the ladies lounge and said their boyfriend was asking them to perform a particular sexual act which they didnt want to do, and he was putting on the pressure saying "if you really loved me you'd ...". its the sort of thing said by teenage lads to their g/f's. (and probably by older lads who retain a teenage mindset). everyone would be up in arms, saying it was unreasonable of him, and she shouldnt do anything she didnt want to do etc.

it is juvenile, manipulative reasoning, imo, and has no place in an adult relationship.
    In my opinion a drug addiction has no place in an adult relationship either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I dont take any drug's anymore, I don't drink that much either.
    but I'm getting to know a girl who smokes weed, at the moment, I asked her not to smoke around me as I can't smoke it . I haven't smoked in a year. which is kinda weird, I'm off all drugs a year and a i meet a woman who likes drugs :confused: typical..... But seriously it's controlling to tell your partner what they can do and what they can't, I know if I was in my old boat and I had a gf who said no smoking weed I'd be lieing to her flat out... I think its pretty rude to expect someone to stop doing something, because you don't like it...

Do you drink coffee or tea? Caffeine can be a potentially lethal drug, but you do it in small enough amounts that you get the buzz without going mental on it. That's a drug, and plenty of people use that responsibly.

Do you or does anyone in your family drink alcohol? Alcohol is an awful lot tougher than marijuana, and a lot more lethal, you can die when you drink too much unlike marijuana where it is literally impossible to overdose. Does this mean your auntie having a glass of wine at dinner is being irresponsible? I highly doubt it.

Your post just shows massive amounts of ignorance on the subject. Perhaps educate yourself a little. Drugs CAN be done responsibly and they CAN be done by responsible people. Have a quick google search for some famous people who've smoked pot. You'll surprise yourself.

Liah, i see you mention tea and coffee in your thread and even having a drink (of alcohol) in justifying the response you posted. how many people have been found dead with their heads shot off because of a tea bag or a cup of coffee . I doubt if my aunt is gonna belong to a gang of drug pushing knuckle draggers because she got ga ga on a bottle of wine last night NOW READ THIS PLEASE. Because there are fools able to keep their drug consumption to "small amoumts" justifies nothing , for every one of them there are thousands in the gutter dying, most people go from soft to hard drugs ." Responsible Drugtaking " is a contradiction in terms, in the real world. Anyone having anything to do with illegal drugs is involved in MURDER, thats a fact , in the reai world. MURDER !!!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

lizzyvera wrote: »
    It has to be sunny or you'll get a bad trip.

If you wish to be held up as a bastion of good information etc i would suggest you DON'T post such ridiculous things as this. ;)

So you believe that it's impossible for someone to maintain a healthy relationships with alchohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just reading this thread, I didnt realise that there were so many Irish women with closed minds out there.

For the huge majority of people who take them, drugs are a fun, interesting, enlightening experience that goes on their twenties with no adverse effects.

Imagine going through life without ever having tried any drug, its bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've never tried drugs and I'm pretty sure I'll be fine if I never do - it's simply something that doesn't interest me.

I don't mind if friends of mine do drugs regularly (in fact I have a lot of friends back home who do), but I wouldn't date someone who was big into them, just like I wouldn't date a smoker or someone who got drunk more than once or twice a year.

Hell, even my mom and dad smoked weed when they were younger. They were honest about it with me so it was never a big "rebel!" thing for me. I'm not abstaining to be "good". I'm just abstaining 'cause I don't really care. Just like I've never seen Terminator, because even though everyone else seems to rave about it, I'm kinda like... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

CiaranC wrote: »
    Just reading this thread, I didnt realise that there were so many Irish women with closed minds out there.

For the huge majority of people who take them, drugs are a fun, interesting, enlightening experience that goes on their twenties with no adverse effects.

tbh CiaranC, its this type of attitude itself which annoys me most
    no drugs= closed mind:mad:

i've done (and continue to) my fair share of the illegal substances.

BUT, I fully respect that other people may not want to. Respect for people's choices works both ways.

this opinion that everyone who does drugs is way cooler than those who don't?? personal choices are down to each individual and the rest of us should respect them

same as choice of partners.

if my partner has no interest in drugs, and he is my partner, then i should respect that and act with respect toward him. and same goes vice versa.
    ideally you are aware of these things before you get into serious relationship territory of course.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I find people who have never taken drugs alien and slightly scary! You have to watch your P's and Q's with them!
    TheSprawl wrote:
    Yeah, I do too. Gotta be careful what you say around them. It's a mindset I have some difficultly understanding.

This is utter utter BS, sorry.

I am a person who's never taken illegal drugs. No one has to be careful about what they say around me or mind their Ps and Qs (I'm assuming this is referring to talking about drug use, or is it just in general?)

I have no first hand experience with drugs but have shedloads of secondhand. I have 3 brothers, lets call them A, B and C.

A started out sniffing glue when he was about 12, when he was 16 he took something else (still don't know what it was) but he went mental and smashed the house up and tried to stab my mother. He went to Spike Island for a while.

When he came out he was much calmer but still smoked weed, moved to the UK and started on Coke and various pills. He never hid this from me and I never judged him.

He's now down to just weed and doesn't drink. I don't worry about him anymore.

B took a similar path, but is much more of a loose cannon personality wise, it took him until he was nearly 40 to realise that he had to stop (getting his legs broken by debt collectors probably was a wake up call) and now drinks occasionally

C is younger than me. As far I know, up until 3 years ago weed was the only drug he took, however he drank heavily, ridiculously heavily. Whilst we were waiting for him to grow out of it, he had some personal tragedy with his girlfriend, which I won't go into. His personality totally changed, he thought everybody should be helping him out, lending him money, sorting out work for him when he wanted it. We assumed it was grieving. Unfortunately we found out recently that it was heroin. :( It's quite upsetting for us all (A and B included as he would have got his contacts from them initially). I have to keep counselling my mother not to give in to his demands as it's only basically cushioning rock bottom for him.

These are the experiences of three men who had a **** male role model and addictive personalities. Not for a moment do I think that everyone's experiences with drugs follow similar routes.

I have absolutely no problem with people doing what they like with drugs provided they don't negatively influence my life.

However for personal reasons I couldn't be physically attracted to someone who did illegal drugs (the illegality is a large factor, if they were legal, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have had to deal with so many utter scumbag criminals growing up). I don't want to be in that world.

I would also pass on an anti-drugs / respect for alcohol message to my children. They'll be from the same bloodline as the above three. I don't think I could live through what my mother did.

As for having to be careful what you say around people who've never touched drugs, after reading what I've said above do you still think that's true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

at the end of the day we all make our choices and we should just respect everyone elses decisions and view regardless of weather they seem ignorant, foolish, uninformed, irrational etc

CiaranC wrote: »

How is it bizarre? A much higher percentage of the population would not have done any illegal drugs afterall.

Look, at the end of the day there is nothing even remotely bizarre about not doing drugs, I have parents who have never drank in their life, i don't see them as bizarre and they don't think their kids that do drink are bizarre ( i don't drink anymore ).

I am all about people deciding what is for them and what isn't, but this is just as judgemental as the people who assume i am some kind of scary junkie because i smoke weed and do some MDMA every now and then.

ciagr297 wrote: »
    tbh CiaranC, its this type of attitude itself which annoys me most
    no drugs= closed mind:mad:
    Im not suggesting that making a personal choice not to take narcotics means you have a closed mind, Im taking about people who castigate others for making a choice that is different to theirs, based on some Joe Duffy oul wan style perception of drugs=bad.

Some of the uninformed, hysterical nonsense about drugs in this thread points to the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

its true that ignorant attitudes exist on both sides of the fence on this debate.
    and tbh, implying that drug taking is some sort of secret club (as illustrated in the "got to mind my Ps&Qs around non-drug users" posts) is just immature.

• ciagr297 wrote: »
    its true that ignorant attitudes exist on both sides of the fence on this debate.
    and tbh, implying that drug taking is some sort of secret club (as illustrated in the "got to mind my Ps&Qs around non-drug users" posts) is just immature.

I agree. My boyfriend annoys me sometimes with the 'if you don't do drugs you don't notice other people on them' and saying he can tell if someone does drugs from talking to them acting like it was some kind of special club. I'm like, you took a few pills and did some coke. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it works both way's so it's kind of handy, I think most people who have taken/still take drugs wouldn't go out with someone is anti-drugs and vice-a-versa. One question though, how can people say there anti-drugs and wouldn't date someone who did drugs apart from weed which they wouldn't bother them too much? :confused: At least the alcohol people have the legality issues to fall back on.

I've taken drugs and would go out with someone who is completely against them. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. For many, drugs can be part of your normal life and not lead you on any "downward spiral." Professors, scientists, astronomers, philosophers, doctors.. any profession you can think of has had drug users. Some of the most amazing, well-rounded people in the world have done or do drugs.

And "vibrant people don't take drugs of any description?" Are you going?

Guess musicians, artists, philosophers, writers, etc. are horribly dull.

I don't care if people are against drugs but if you're going to be against them be against all of them-- alcohol included. People who think things like marijuana are horrible drugs and then go off and get plastered drunk do my nut in, considering alcohol is a more dangerous drug than marijuana.

I just don't like hypocrites or ignorance I suppose.

Anyway, I wouldn't care what drugs a guy was doing as long as he was still a productive member of society, had his head about him, and wasn't addicted. I'd prefer him not to be on heroin, meth, cocaine or many other chemicals though, at least not on a consistent basis. Once in awhile is okay, but chemicals tend to be highly physically damaging. Naturals like marijuana and hash are fine for daily use or weekly use and I'd have absolutely no issue with. Natural hallucinogenics aren't as bad as most chemicals but being on mushrooms or peyote on a consistent basis I might have trouble with.

I. Moderation and knowledge is key.

You seem to be the only one here who disagrees with me.

By the way name some outstanding people who took them who lived to 30.

Phil lynott,Jimi hendrix , Jim Morrison No .

The path of the drug world is littered with the bodies of the people who thought they were able to handle it.

Youre never fully in control when your driving your car ,same with drugs.I didn't just wake up one day and come to this conclusion.
    I've seen enough evidence to support my viewpoint.
    I see people from school who smoked pot everyday and there are virtual vegetables now.Slow reactions, no willpower to do anything there going nowhere.

Its alright you can go and do your drugs,but don't pretend to be suprised when at 60 your kidney has packed in.

I know a girl shes 23 she started drinking at 13 ,drank a lot and her pancreas went ,now she has to live on water and rice cakes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

BumbleB wrote: »

She's not. I disagree with you too.

I see people from school who smoked pot everyday and there are virtual vegetables now.Slow reactions, no willpower to do anything there going nowhere.

Yeah, but not all pot users smoke pot everyday. My boyfriend (as an example) smokes pot regularly and has been doing so for a few years because he likes it (not that he's addicted to it). And he's in no way a vegetable. He's a very happy active person who is going to be studying for a PHD next year.

You're just basing this on what you have seen yourself and focusing on the most extreme cases, or users.

Phil lynott,Jimi hendrix , Jim Morrison No.
    Shes hardly the only one that disagrees with you.

You assertion that drugs "are always a downward spiral" is absurd.

Oh and Sir Paul McCartney btw

I disagreed with you.

Now then, with regard to the whole "People who smoke have no drive", in the last two weeks i have written and produced 3 songs, taken about 350 photos, written a decent section of my book ( i have also spent about 1.5 hours every morning writing other stuff ), i have done 2 full pieces of digital art and i have also been working on some oil paintings. That includes the time it took to go home for a couple of days and visit my family. I also met plenty of friends and went to museums, gallerys and parks over those two weeks. I normally wake up between the hours of 6 and 7 ever morning and will begin my day with a joint.

No offence to anyone who is at home in their house doing nothing and wasting their lives but it's not a drug oher any other substance that instantly seperates the doers from the don'ts. It all about your inherent attitude. If you want to strive and to succeed, you will do what you can in that area of your life, be it your work, your family, music, sport.....whatever.

A waster is a waster and nothing can save them either way. ASSUMING someone is a waster just because they do one particular thing is foolishness in the extreme as it only takes that ONE person to come along and render your point completely moot.

And with regard to drugs killing people, the man who first discovered LSD lives to be 100+ years of age. He was firm in his beliefs that correctly using the substance could cure a lot of problems for a lot of people with mental illness, and also that it helped deal with stress to the point of adding to your life expectancy....but these were all his own thoughts.

My question for you is, how do you feel about the further medical research of substances which are deemed illegal but have shown promise in curing various diseases? Is that something you would support?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Really interesting thread.

Ive been on both sides of the fence at different times in my life. I smoked when I was younger which was throughly disapproved of by an ex...yet he was an acloholic who if he went longer than a few days without a beer became a terrible bully and manipulator till he justified ging out and getting hammerred. Pick a fight, blame me and off out the door to cool down...in a pub. I have to say, Ive seen alcohol destroy far more lives than I have drugs.

Then there are the times when I should have been on something prescribed to help me through what was happenning in my life but I just carried on and really didnt care too much for my mental health and so became depressed and unhealthy in my mind. I didnt realise until i was better, just how bad I had been. Now if I ever found myself with the same ammount of bother, I would have no hesitation seeking help. But then, a smoke to go to sleep was not just enjoyable, but in my mind necessary.

Having said that, I woldnt go near anything like LSD, ectasy or any halluionegic. I would be afraid to mess with my mind on a non prescribed basis. I do drink - to excess on many occassions and do use it as a self medicating substance when things get on top of me. I dont think this makes me a bad person but I can see why it would colour someones view of me. I enjoy taking neurofen plus for example. Its my pain killer of choice because it gives me a little gurnn that I enjoy. I told a friend this one day and she was horrified.

I wold like to be like Metebolivia and treat my body like a temple and I dont know how many promises I break to myself time and time again - Ill not smoke again, Ill not drink again, Ill not whatever....but Im hardwired and pretty accepting of it.

Music:
    The Rolling Stones
    Bob Dylan
    Neil Young
    Joni Mitchell
    Led Zeppelin
    AC/DC (with the exception of Bon Scott, but he died from drinking, not drugs)
    Joan Baez
    Pink Floyd (with the exception of Syd Barrett, who died of diabetes, not drugs)
    Johnny Cash

Jesus mate there's THOUSANDS who lived past the age of 30.

And that's just music.

Some outstanding people who also enjoyed a joint or other drug once in awhile are Barack Obama, George Washington, Carl Sagan, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Winston Churchill, Pythagoras, Hunter S. Thompson (what a fantastically interesting man). How's that for variety?

Do I really need to continue?

You're wrong. Pure and simple, wrong. It is not opinion. Thousands of vibrant, phenomenal, outstanding people have smoked pot and done other drugs and managed to continue being vibrant, phenomenal, outstanding people.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    If you wish to be held up as a bastion of good information etc i would suggest you DON'T post such ridiculous things as this. ;)

So you believe that it's impossible for someone to maintain a healthy relationships with alchohol?

what Im saying is to hell with alcohol , the thread is about drugs.....illegal drugs . addiction , crime, prostitution, murder,the result illegal drugs. please dont bull****e me about booze.

Advertisement