Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where to buy a Float Tube?

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I've been doing a fair bit of trout fishing lately and am thinking about buying a Float Tube. I saw a guy using one a while ago and they look so much fun and it would be great to be able to get to those areas where you can't reach by casting. I was wondering if anyone here has bought one and where did they get it and for how much?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Take a look here: Float Tubing in Ireland website.

If you're in Dublin try Greene Marine & Hobby in Harolds Cross 01 4928776 ask for Norman/Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

I don't like them they are like a big nappy.!!!:D

I invested in a Kayak, absolutely excellent, robust, you can get around quickly it has everything going for it. And you not worried if one of the chambers burst.

Just my tuppence.

S;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Kayaks are definitely a good angling option, but they are good for different things. It's not a good idea to compare kayaks with tubes, they are so different.

Just a little kayaking problem .... what do you paddle with while holding the fishing rod?
    Aaaah, of course .. you must put the rod down to paddle.
    Meanwhile in a float tube every nibble gets detected, while the feet do the paddling.

The Hobie Mirage feet kayak drive is a vital step forwards in fishing kayaks, but it's still a work in progress, no reverse, and over €1500, a small boat cost not tube cost.
    The tube also has no reverse, but turns on a dime and the feet drive hands free fishing feature is cost free.

For covering distance and trolling the kayakers have it, a kayak is a better way for salt water fishing.
    For putting inside the car while in a strange town, storing in the garage, and hands free lake fishing the tubes have it.

Depends on what you want to do. Both would be nice, but limited to only one I'd use the tube (freshwater bias !). Both give a great workout while angling, and because of that I'd choose either a yak or tube over a conventional boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

I bought guide drifter platoon float tube from glasglow angling centre,ur seated out of the water in this,a little more comfort:D.Very good service from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

I actually found a good manufacturer in the end. I have a batch of them now. I have an ad on adverts.ie for them. They have a much higher, drier seating position than most. They're great fun in the snow instead of a sledge too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 peterisgreen

goodyear make good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ive got two different tubes. ive got the Roundboat made by The creek company and also have the Ron Thompson U-boat.
    The Roundboat is much better quality, sturdier on the water. you could not tip over even if you tried but the thing i didnt like about it is that its a full tube around you and makes for unhooking pike awkward which is wat i fish for in mine.
    It also takes a while to inflate and deflate as its a valve like one in a beach ball but just a bit bigger.
    On the other hand it has great storage for your gear, you can move quicker because you can lever your knees off the front of the tube to get better thrust and when unhooking fish you can wedge the rod between you and the tube so you can work handsfree.

The U-boat by Ron Thompson is a better design for pike as the front is open but is not as sturdy in the water or have as much buoyancy and you cant move as fast because thers no leverage. it has the normal beach ball type valve for blowing it up with a pump but also has a jarge jam-jar sized lid to deflate it in seconds which is excellent. it is more difficult to store the rod when your unhooking fish also.

All in all the Round boat is more suited to fly fishing which is what i use mine for and the U-boat is better suited to pike fishing and boy does mine get some use in the summer:D

I have fished small lakes all over the country totaly inaccesable by foot or boat in my tubes as the reeds go out too far to wade to the waters edge and are too thick to get a boat through also the ground would be too soft for a boat and trailer never mind a jeep. thats where the float tube comes into its own. happy tubing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

great post mr. bmyb,

what lakes are your favourites?

rory's fishing tackle have a creel outside filled with great posters of lakes in the north east published by the eastern regional fisheries board.

i'm looking at 8 different maps, i love maps, i looked at the erfb website but i don't see the maps on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

great post mr. bmyb,

what lakes are your favourites?

rory's fishing tackle have a creel outside filled with great posters of lakes in the north east published by the eastern regional fisheries board.

i'm looking at 8 different maps, i love maps, i looked at the erfb website but i don't see the maps on there.

I have a few lakes around the country i try not to fish more than once a year, i know i am one of maybee 2 or 3 people who throw a line in them and am sure one of which that is one of the best ones, nobody fishes as its on private land

You wont find these lakes on he ERFB site because there is no access and are very small.

I havnt been to any of them in about 2 years now but got the go-ahead from the missus so will be hitting one on Sunday week with the tube. Also fishing the Suck this Sunday so thats 2 weeks in a row:confused: she must be lookin for something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

anybody ever used a pontoon boat? the one with the inflatable tubes each side and the seat in the middle? they look good but are they any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement