Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband

Options
  • 23-06-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi guys, there is probably a topic on this already but i couldnt find it so apologies if there is.

I have just bought the UPC broadband ultra package.

It has 20mb speed. I will be mainly using this for my Ps3 and just want to make sure this speed will be ok to play games online?

My pc & ps3 are in the same room as eachother so which would be the better option to use, ps3 wireless or wired with the router?

Thanks for your help in advance
    dw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Speed is largely irrelevant for gaming, the latency (ping) is what really matters. Wireless connection can sometimes cause a bit of a lag, so wired is best, though it often doesn't make any difference. Try the wireless connection and see how it works. If you're having issues, cable it to the modem/router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

you'll be hard pushed to beat the UPC for that. I had 3 PC's and the PS3 going off the 20mb connection fine. I've downgraded to 3 recently haven't had all working together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

jor el wrote: »
    Speed is largely irrelevant for gaming, the latency (ping) is what really matters. Wireless connection can sometimes cause a bit of a lag, so wired is best, though it often doesn't make any difference. Try the wireless connection and see how it works. If you're having issues, cable it to the modem/router.

Oh okay thanks buddy. How do you determine your latency(ping)? Do you know if upc have a good one? Ecxuse my ignorance of internet connections & the terms that come with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

www.speedtest.net

Or, in a command prompt:

ping www.google.ie
    ping www.boards.ie

etc

Not to be confused with the machine that goes Ping

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ping on UPC is generally much better than it ever was on my old BT DSL, can't fault it, pinging 25ms most of the time to dublin (from navan). used to be 45ms or more wit DSL (the lower number being better obviously).

• Advertisement
Advertisement