Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Volta Octahedron

• 23-06-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, not bad, not great either on a first listen. Its a more chilled out album than the others, they are trying out new things with a more laid back approach, slow understated piano lines and some interesting drum programming. Some pretty cool tracks on there as well. However it seems that they're a bit tired on this record. I suppose that's how many bands go, they mellow out as they get older.

This isn't really a criticism as its an optional thing they could have done musically but I think that they could have broken free from the sound which has so far defined their work as they fall back on some stock mars volta sounds/guitar solos/riffs. However I'm given to thinking this might be better than the bedlam in goliath which is my least favourite album as while it had more accessible songs than on amputechture, I felt it was a bit contrived, like it was their "comeback" album, almost like an apology for the self indulgence on the previous album (which I grew to like quite a lot).

Imo deloused was a brilliant arrival/statement of intent, frances the mute upped the volume and imo is where they reached their apex, amputechture is to tmv as kid a is to radiohead, bedlam was ok but a bit meh, and this album is a curious oddity which will require further listening. Tentatively 6/10.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 actung87!

cool looking forward to hearing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

I didn't like it at all on first listen, but it's definitely a grower. Kinda reminds me of Deloused in the Comatorium simply because the songs are structured more conservatively. The vocals sound fantastic and there is more depth of emotion than on the other albums.
    I actually thought Bedlam was their best album to date so this threw me off a bit. This will probably get them a larger audience than before which is a great thing, great band.

Advertisement